Clancy

An iPod... do you have one? and are you happy with it?

An iPod... do you have one? and are you happy with yours?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. An iPod... do you have one? and are you happy with yours?

• Yes, I have one and I'm happy with it.
    • Yes, I have one but I'm NOT happy with it.
    • No I don't have an iPod, I have another brand of mp3 player.
    • I don't use any kind of mp3 player.

Just curious. It took me a while to convince myself to go back and buy another mac product... but now I have one (an older type iPod shuffle) - I just love it. I walk with it just about every day. I had a little mp3 player but got frustrated with the restrictions on transferring my bought iTunes music onto it.

So, what's the consensus. Are iPods the most used? or do you have a different brand of mp3 player that you prefer?

Clancy

I have an older Creative mp3 player that I only use when running.

It was given to me by my sister when she upgraded to an ipod a few years ago.

It only holds about 11 songs but it could hold more if I bought a memory card for it but

I almost never listen to the mp3 songs, I just listen to the fm radio on it, it still has her songs on it from when she gave it to me, I've just never got around to puting the transfer program on my computer (maybe someday).

But the new "Nike + iPod" kit looks very interesting

http://www.nike.com/nikeplus/#overview

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/gear.html

I use a basic mp3 player when I'm walking and sometimes when I'm driving. I also use it to keep PC data on it sometimes. Although it's basic I've never felt the need to change or upgrade.

i have an ipod and i love it, for a month or two i averaged 25 songs a day. I bring in to classes, smoke cigarettes (which i'm hoping to quit) walk the the dog and so on. the bigger ipods have so much space its unimaginable, i have 2 thousand songs on mine and thats just putting a dent into it, the rest of the space i use for storage that doesnt fit on my computer. the only thing i dont like about it is that it doesnt have a radio.

My son bought one (WITH HIS OWN MONEY!!!! YES!!!) and loves it. We just got one for my daughter for Christmas. Comparison shopping seemed to indicate that iTunes was a bit friendlier to find stuff and share. Cost was about the same for music.

I do not have one personally but may get one when I get the new company vehicle...if it has a port for hooking up MP3 players to it. According to my resident expert (the 16 yr old boy) it's easier to pick songs by scrolling than fighting with CDs and the box I keep them in. Makes sense to me. Sound quality doesn't seem any different, at least in the car with road noise & such.

But, he's really happy with his, and he has informed us She'll be happy with hers. What do I know, yaknowwhutImean!:dunno::wheelchai

I create backing tracks in band in the box, convert to mp3 and download to my ipod. I then play along with my ipod (run into second chanel on my roland 120) for certain songs when i play solo. Great small and inexpensive set up for a fuller sound

I really think I'd like to get one. I'm strange in that for a musician I don't listen to tunes much, but when I listen, I want to listen to exactly what I want to hear. We got the daughter an ipod last Christmas and she loves it. I think she turned me into a believer.

Steve

I have one (a 30gb) and am very happy with it. I previously owned 3 different mp3 players of different brands and smaller capacities and when I started doing the research to buy a large-capacity mp3 player, I did a lot of research before plunking down my money. I really didn't want to go the iPod route, main reason being that it's so "trendy" - but I discovered that none of the competition can match the iPod for available accessories - "plug and play" boomboxes, cases, power adapters, etc. The 'click wheel' navigation on the iPod is also much more ergonomic and efficient than any of the competition I tried.

It seems that there's actually a reason that the iPod is so trendy and popular, other than a good marketing campaign - Apple did their homework, and it's a good product. I haven't tried the new "Zune" by Microsoft, but I'm naturally skeptical about any new product they put out. I'm not an MS-hater, as all my computers are Windows boxes.....but MS has at times shown a tendency to rush things to market and let the consumers be their beta testers. Apple has pretty much worked all the bugs out of the iPod, so no worries about funky glitches.

Also - despite the fact that iTunes (the accompanying software for the iPod) takes hard hits from some users, I really like it. You can organize/sort your music in many different ways, easily create and manage playlists, and specifically exclude songs from "shuffle" mode if there are certain ones you don't want included for random play. Their collection of artists/songs in the iTunes store is large and pretty comprehensive, and I'd much rather purchase songs at $0.99 apiece than pay $16 in the store for an entire CD with two good songs and a bunch of filler! My only bone to pick would be that I wish they used a higher bitrate than 128kbps for their songs, but in reality I seldom notice much of a difference in quality when listening.

I listen to music pretty much everywhere I go, so an mp3 player is a must-have for me. As Lori mentioned, it's also a very cool tool if you have an amp with an input jack for it - although just about any mp3 player would fit the bill there.

I have an older 20 gig white one and love it , I have an interface for my car stereo which charges the Ipod and skips through tracks ect via the car stereo head unit, my car and lounge room are no longer littered with cd's out of their cases.

But the new "Nike + iPod" kit looks very interesting

Yeah it does look interesting 6string, I had a look at that a while back before they actually released it... I don't know if it'd really be all that great though.... sounds a little obsessive to me to be tracking calories, miles etc... but the idea is definitely cool!

Interesting poll results, I thought there would be many more iPod users than users of other brands of mp3 players... I guess it doesn't really matter which you go with if you're not buying downloadable music online... that's when it starts getting tricky.

Clancy

I'm still trying to get the mp3 player in my new mobile phone to work ..... where do I put the coins in? :dunno:

Maybe you use your credit card or they just tack it onto your next phone bill? :dunno:

Clancy,

I have two of the older version 15gig one is for backup. I also got a station to put them in. Its about the station which I will send a picture of that is most interesting. I put my IPOD in it and plug my guitar into it and play along with the tunes much like a Kareoke.

I love it

eddiez152:clap:

Clancy,

Or others interested. This work station is great because it operates od AC or DC power. Plug it in at home stick your POD in it and play away. But the best feature is, put the batteries in it (8) Dcell type take it out in the yard or a picnic plug your guitar in listen to selected tunes and play away with your acustic/electric right thru the sound system. IT'S GREAT FOR BEGINNERS AND BEYOND.

if you're not buying downloadable music online... that's when it starts getting tricky.

Clancy

It's not that tricky, Clancy. Anyone with half a brain (like me) can find a way to put any song on an Ipod. I have an old ipod mini and it's the best thing since sliced bread. I have a little gadget that plugs into any 12 volt Dc power supply (ie car cigarette lighter) and transmits to any FM frequency. I haven't listened to the radio in well over a year. I have used up all the space on it but it's not a major issue to swap songs now and then. 1,100+ songs and I like em all. That's the kind of technology I like.

Kevin

if you're not buying downloadable music online... that's when it starts getting tricky.
It's not that tricky, Clancy. Anyone with half a brain (like me) can find a way to put any song on an Ipod. I have an old ipod mini and it's the best thing since sliced bread. I have a little gadget that plugs into any 12 volt Dc power supply (ie car cigarette lighter) and transmits to any FM frequency. I haven't listened to the radio in well over a year. I have used up all the space on it but it's not a major issue to swap songs now and then. 1,100+ songs and I like em all. That's the kind of technology I like.

Kevin

Interesting poll results, I thought there would be many more iPod users than users of other brands of mp3 players... I guess it doesn't really matter which you go with if you're not buying downloadable music online... that's when it starts getting tricky.

That was the whole paragraph I wrote Kevin... now I read it back, I probably didn't express myself very well... but it wasn't written the the way you quoted it. :)

It's when you buy downloadable music that I was referring to Kevin, not just copying unprotected files onto either an iPod or a different brand of mp3 player.... If you purchase a downloadable iTunes song, you will not be able to copy it onto a different brand of mp3 player. If you buy (say a downloadable tune from msn music) then they prevent you from copying it onto an iPod. There is a way around all things of course, but it's not something you are supposed to do and is really a hassle anyway... so that's when it gets tricky and when you have to make choices... and I guess that's when you need that other half of your brain. ;)

Clancy

No MP3 doover lacky's for me....

My Car CD player is MP3 compatable, and i have copies of all my cd's as MP3's on my computer. So if i want a compilation i just burn it as a data MP3 cd and chuck it in the car.... Or listen at the computer....

Clancy,

Or others interested. This work station is great because it operates od AC or DC power. Plug it in at home stick your POD in it and play away. But the best feature is, put the batteries in it (8) Dcell type take it out in the yard or a picnic plug your guitar in listen to selected tunes and play away with your acustic/electric right thru the sound system. IT'S GREAT FOR BEGINNERS AND BEYOND.

That looks like a very cool set-up you've got there eddie. Thanks for posting the pic.

Clancy

No MP3 doover lacky's for me....

My Car CD player is MP3 compatable, and i have copies of all my cd's as MP3's on my computer. So if i want a compilation i just burn it as a data MP3 cd and chuck it in the car.... Or listen at the computer....

On the computer I listen to my mp3's through iTunes. In the car, I have Sirius satellite radio (one of the best purchases I've ever made, btw). The iPod comes in handy at my desk at work, while exercising, or anywhere else that I'm away from my computer or car. I have a dockable player with rechargeable batteries that I take out in the backyard, in the garage, on holidays/camping trips, etc., and a small set of speakers on my desk at work that I can plug into. I'm never without music! :leadguitar:

I have looked at Sirius satellite radio Stratrat and it looks great!.. unfortunately it's not available down here (or anything that compares). :( Someday I guess

Clancy

... and I guess that's when you need that other half of your brain. ;)

Clancy

I get it. You must be talking about that half a brain with a conscience. I never realized about the buying tunes from one and not being able to use it on another. That does seem kinda lame, now that I think about it. Seems like if you buy something, It oughtta be yours. There's just so much I don't understand about "Intellectual Property".

Kevin

I get it. You must be talking about that half a brain with a conscience. I never realized about the buying tunes from one and not being able to use it on another. That does seem kinda lame, now that I think about it. Seems like if you buy something, It oughtta be yours. There's just so much I don't understand about "Intellectual Property".

Kevin

You know what Kev, it's not a simple thing, all this downloading and different formats and what's legal and moral and....

But here's the basic scoop. The whole thing about intellectual property and downloads is not cast in stone, or in law. What IS in the law is that if you purchase music, you have the right to make a personal copy of that music. When people make more than one copy, it's called distribution. That's bad. At least that's outside the current laws.

The whole download part of it is so convoluted and undecided. So there's this format called mp3 that really took off. The music industry asks, how can we control downloads and make sure we make 'our' money? Well, they try different things like encoding and copy protection and the like. Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

Now there's mp4. ITunes. It's the Apple Corp.'s way of being different. It became popular with the music biggies because Apple made mp4's proprietary, which means protected, which means a one-way revolving door through Apple. The music biggies like mp4! It can be controlled.

But that doesn't stop a person's right from making a personal copy of their music. The problem is that if it's in the mp4 format, it won't play on mp3 players. Music industry peoples love this because it closes doors on possible illegal distribution. But the fact that mp4 files won't play on mp3 players is a matter of corporate rivalry between makers, not a matter of possible intellectual property thievery.

I guess the reason I'm piping in on this is because I just wanted you and everyone to know that you're right. You purchased it. It's yours. Go make yourself a personal copy on whatever: CD, back to another mp3 player...It's just that distributing the song outside of this is not paying the dues to the music industry.

Steve

I have looked at Sirius satellite radio Stratrat and it looks great!.. unfortunately it's not available down here (or anything that compares). :( Someday I guess

Clancy

We have XM Satellite Radio over here and it's great as well. Sirius and XM offer basically the same service, though, so I doubt one is available if the other isn't.