WTouch

Guitar keeps going out of tune?

hi, my guitar keeps going out of tune after 1 min of playing. actually probably less. here's what happen when i was tuning the guitar i played it for a bit. then it went out of tune. tuned it again. except i had a hard time tuning the 1st E string. i spent at least 5 mins trying to tune it. then the string snapped. is that an indication of a need of new strings? or more like i did something wrong?

thanks

hmm i have no idea, they are stock strings when i bought the guitar. this guitar however is about 3 years old i believe. so maybe 3 years but the person barely played it.

I had the same trouble with my first guitar. It was a cheap Westville; the tuning peg on the G-string kept spinning around in it's housing and so I couldn't tighten the string enough. This might be why you can't get your E-string in tune...??? good luck anyway.

change the strings, ur guitar store can tell u a good brand to buy, also on my turners there is a little screw at the end, if the tuner is to loose u will have a hard time tuning the guitar, tighten that screw (if u have them) a little to take the slack out of the tuner

Chuck

hmm. . . now i think i stringed my guitar wrong. ive seen a video in which you have to leave somestring after the nut. then loop the string over the groover and whole. after that wind it. is that correct. if so then i have to re-string mines because im having a problem with some of the chords tension. i can get it tune properly, *but* when i do, the strings tension is too low. and when i try strumming it it buzzes b.c of tension too low. when i try tuning up more to increase tension it goes way out of tune.

any take?

thanks

hmm. . . now i think i stringed my guitar wrong. ive seen a video in which you have to leave somestring after the nut. then loop the string over the groover and whole. after that wind it. is that correct. if so then i have to re-string mines because im having a problem with some of the chords tension. i can get it tune properly, *but* when i do, the strings tension is too low. and when i try strumming it it buzzes b.c of tension too low. when i try tuning up more to increase tension it goes way out of tune.

any take?

thanks

Sounds like the strings are slipping. If you have just restrung it, then the strings will stretch for the first few days while they settle so you will be tuning up more often for a while. If it continues then you may be restringing them wrong.

Then you have passed the correct pitch for that string. When tuning, I use a tuner, check the accuracy of the tuning with the previous string and also check with the harmonics of the previous string. I am checking the string 3 times before I move on to the next one. An important point, I do this all the time, If you think you have tuned up past the right pitch, detune the string a couple of turns and start again. Try using the online tuner at the top right hand side of the page or get an electronic tuner with a needle rather than led lights. That might help.

i think i did re-string it wrong because there should be a loop sort of knot to secure it or else it will start to "slip," god and i already clipped them. there goes my 16 bucks on an elixir. . . im going to get some cheap daddarios.

http://musicschools.schoolson.com.au/articles.php?id=26&t=S

hmm read this, is this true? it might help everyone save $$$ on strings for those who are broke

I don't know if it will double your string life, but then I don't do huge bends with slinky strings. I know lots of people who do it that way though. I usualy don't and haven't broken a string in 4 or 5 years.

finnaly i get it!!! use a string winder to let the string wrap itself up, you* dont wrap it, let it wrap itself up. . . . its all in the wrapping that i couldnt get correct.