Sarah1124

Interested in getting an electric guitar.

I am new to guitars and I was wondering if there were any smaller exectric guitars because I am not very big. I am afraid that the regular sized ones would be too big for me to play. Does anyone have any reccomendations on good smaller sized electric guitars? I was looking at the Jumpstart packs from Ibanez. Are they any good? Or are there any other smaller guitars that would be inexpensive?

How small are you? 3/4 guitars tend not to be of the same quality as the full sized. Another way to go would be travel guitars. You may find higher quality in the high end models. What is your price range?

Here are a couple.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/products/C6245.jsp

I found reviews about the Ibanez. Not too good.Heavy metal tone, poor pickups and not realy a small guitar. One of the guys here just bought a 51 squire which he is very happy with. Might be worth a look. Good quality for a resonable price or even an agile if your on a tight budget. The lp has a smaller body than a lot of guitars,but tends to be heavier though. Heres the Ibanez review.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ibanez/GRX70-1.html

Sarah,

There is also the Squier Mini Strat - although it's maybe more of a kids guitar. (but I could be wrong).

... and of course there's the Daisy Rock girl guitar range, these are smaller guitars made especially for girls/women or who knows maybe even some guys :). You either love them or hate them.

-----------

Note: I am not recommending any of these, just letting you know what's available out there in the smaller size electrics.

Clancy

Even full size guitars come in a range of sizes.

Wow, you learn something new every day... I've never heard that before.

IMO your best bet is a trip to a guitar store and try a few on

I agree holding one in your hands is always the best way to go. Buying online can be ok in some cases if you can't get to a decent music store. Most online retailers these days offer a 30 to 60 day money back guarantee, although you'd probably have to pay the return shipping and maybe even a restocking fee... my advice... always read the fine print! :)

Clancy

Sarah,

There is also the Squier Mini Strat - although it's maybe more of a kids guitar. (but I could be wrong).

... and of course there's the Daisy Rock girl guitar range, these are smaller guitars made especially for girls/women or who knows maybe even some guys :). You either love them or hate them.

-----------

Note: I am not recommending any of these, just letting you know what's available out there in the smaller size electrics.

Clancy

A friend of mine played a daisyrock and was surprised at the quality of the pups and neck. Course he would of been laughed off the stage if he was caught playing one at a gig so he passed.;)

A friend of mine played a daisyrock and was surprised at the quality of the pups and neck. Course he would of been laughed off the stage if he was caught playing one at a gig so he passed.;)

LOL, yeah it'd take a brave guy to be seen playing one of those... especially the original Daisy series or even the Butterfly or the Heartbreaker series :P

I've also read good reviews, especially about the more recent models they've brought out.. I like the fact that a company is thinking outside the box and I think they're doing well out of it too. There sure are a lot more girl guitar players around these days and they're catering to that, I think it's great. Here's the Daisy Rock official site for anyone interested in having a look (or a laugh).

Clancy

Hi, Just reading your post about needing a smaller electric guitar. I have been on a quest for a smaller, more comfortable electric since I began to play. I recently bought a Peavey HP signature series on Ebay. The guitar is only 35 1/2" total length. It is perfect for a smaller player like me. It weighs 7 poounds and 13 ounces on my postal scale, about the same as a Strat but much shorter. The fit and finish are excellent and the sounds is everything I want in a blues and rock axe. Having a guitar that fits helped me with my playing more than any thing else. If I had to have only one guitar this would be my choice. And I got it for less than $200.