carol m

A Christmas Present 'Emergency'

carol m    64
Carol,

Check out Tuesday's Gone for a real campfire jam feel - I believe it's their version of a Lynard Skynard tune, mighty good... :yes:

I'll check it out tomorrow, Old G - I've had a big day and learned heaps...need some sleep now. Thanks for thi info. :)

Rockerbob    47
Wow, very nice but $1000 each! I've heard you sing and play so I know that for you they would be worth it....but me? I don't think so - not just yet - maybe when I become a star (probably take a couple of weeks) maybe then I could dig deep and stun the world with my efforts. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though - when you need to know something guitar-related, there's only one place to go, no question - right here at GFB&B. Thanks everyone :yes:

I was really kidding. Although I think these are really great mics, I recorded and performed through many much less expensive mics for many years before I upgraded. I still use an SM58 to sing through when I perform live, which is rare these days.

Magnatude    0

OldG, I forgot all about that one!! Wasn't thinking of Garage at all!

Carol, it's celcius, and it's actually more like -5 plus windchill.

Fly, thanks. I'm glad you liked it!

GT    0

Go for the Shure SM-57. Really. You wont regret it. Its a very standard TOOL for recording that every kind of level musicians use. The 2 recordings i did yesterday (uploaded here) were made with just that Mic and my amp. A cheap one wont give you the quality your gonna be looking for sooner or later. ;)

coldethyl    0

You can't go wrong with the Shure SM57 mics.

At my local guitar shop they cost around $140 AUS and when I was looking for a mic, that's the one that members here recommended for me.

You need a mic that will last you and maintain it's quality, and the Shure SM57's are definitely in that category.

Anyway, good hunting!

carol m    64

Thanks for all your help, guys. I did a lot of research and worked out that I really want a mixer as well as a mic, so my plan is to get (as presents) a cheap mic for now and try to swing a mixer as a present as well - probably a Behringer UB802 like Fly's. Now there's a later version called a Xenyx802 which I think is the same thing with an upgrade. That'll give me lots to play with over Christmas and if I want a better mic later, there's always birthdays as well. If all else fails, I might even have to buy myself some gear :eek: but if you have GAS and no-one offers, well, there's no alternative, is there? 'Doing without' is definately not an option when it comes to guitar gear.:winkthumb:

Stratrat    0

I took Fly's advice and ordered a Nady SP4. The onboard mic on my Boss Micro BR isn't too bad, but I figure this should be an improvement on it. It won't arrive until later this week, so I'll give some feedback (no pun intended!) on it then.