6string

Paying for tab

Did you ever buy guitar tab or music notation that was a total waste of money  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you ever buy guitar tab or music notation that was a total waste of money

• Yes I paid for guitar tab and or music notation only to find out it was a waste my hard earned money.
    • No I'm happy with every purchases I've made.

6string    81

A little poll to test my hypothesis that people don't buy guitar tab & music notation because they feel they are getting ripped off.

I've have purchased "Authentic Transcriptions" of the "Recorded Versions" of music only to find out I did not receive what I paid for.

missileman    0

I have been dissapointed with a few books I have bought but most have been ok, a few I really like.

I guess it is like most everything else in life, some good some bad. Toss of the dice?

PickNGrin    0

Sheet music was / is frequently meant for piano, then transcribed from piano to guitar. "Cookie cutter" chord pictures are applied. Most of the time, these basic cookie cutter chord pictures are not the correct chord inversions the Artist used. All of the detail is missing -for instance -you will find books on CSN&Y -all transposed to standard tuning, in reality ...most of those songs dont sound right unless performed in the original and correct alternate tuning.

Sheet music often fails to mention the use of a capo, or droning notes, or little embellishments and nuances.

Microcube    0

Most tabs have bum notes and no or very little reference to timing. Most tabs available via the ineternet are also transcripted by amateur musicians thus missing all the finess of the real maccoy.

Most tabs have bum notes and no or very little reference to timing. Most tabs available via the ineternet are also transcripted by amateur musicians thus missing all the finess of the real maccoy.

I used to think this was the case but recently with Guitar Pro and Powertab I see a huge amount of excellent tabs and at the click of a button you can listen to the whole thing to make sure it sounds right and visually see the tab played for timing.

Interestingly I went to download a Powertab off a website yesterday and they have temporarily disabled all tab downloads until they have clarified their legal position.

allthumbs    8
I used to think this was the case but recently with Guitar Pro and Powertab I see a huge amount of excellent tabs and at the click of a button you can listen to the whole thing to make sure it sounds right and visually see the tab played for timing.

Interestingly I went to download a Powertab off a website yesterday and they have temporarily disabled all tab downloads until they have clarified their legal position.

I am shocked to see how fast this is all going down. I think they are jumping the gun a bit. I think it would be a couple of years before the first salvo is fired, if at all.

Buddy Love    0

A site where I was getting some flatpicking tabs just shut down. Yes, people are jumping the gun. Sad how people are so fearful and paranoid these days, especially in our country.

Well, we'll just become more proficient to the point where we won't need tabs. Then they may try to outlaw stopping a song. :)

Dan

6string    81

if the there was zero free tab available on the internet, yes they would make more money, but not that much more. I have a lot of free tab but if I had would have had to pay for it I'd probably have way less than 1 percent of it, I think that would be the case for most people.

6string    81
I have a cd with 500,000 tabs on it so i should be ok for the older stuff.

good you can start an underground tab railroad if all the sites close down

6string    81

Can you image if the greedy lawyers did this copyright garbage when music was first starting out, they would have copyrighted the C chord etc, music development would be so far behind that rock&roll would not have been invented yet.

Buddy Love    0

:) :) :) :)

If the lawyers get involved they'll be looking for relatives of that first cave man who strung a piece of leather on a stick - to see if the family wants to sue.

At the border, instead of looking for guns or drugs they'll be tearing your car apart looking for guitar tabs. They'll probably have 'tab' sniffing dogs on duty.

BL :)

allthumbs    8

What bugs me is that the tab books are mostly by mainstream bands and artists. I would love to have a tab book of Kirks' cd and Arc Angels cd,but the publishers go by sales so that just isn't going to happen. A side effect of this move is that the music industry will be able to tighten its' control of what is available to consumers. If you can't find tab books for alt music, it makes it a lot harder for folks to learn it.:angry:

Alfcarguy    0

My 2 cents you don't need tab when you have the balls to figure the songs out for yourselfs, Yes I have bought tab books but you have to know which ones are the best, and stick with those. And about those tabs by private people that think there musicians, you know there crap but you build from what they started. There's tab books that are not out there that I wish were but it looks like I am going to have to do it myself and than give what I have for free to people cause I don't want to get into this copyright infringements. The stuff I wish was out there was Motley's Crue " Shout at the Devil album. Twister Sisters 2nd and 3rd album. And Dio's first 3 albums. But I guess I have to do it myself. I have GP4 and who knows how many tab's I have for it but, I enjoy at times to transcribe stuff myself, I have been working on Twisted Sister stuff and once I get those albums than I move on. But I think the art of music is lost through TAB, it takes me only minutes to learn a song using tab. For me tab is a down fall, it really takes no thinking to look at the numbers and to copy what is written note for note. But I have been playing long enough that most things I want to learn I do, its not that hard. But my ears are something I am working on so I can hear it and play it, so I can Tab it out for myself cause I don't like paying $20 for a book for like say one song.

And they don't make much stuff for the Blues these days, I like my Lightin Hopkins but finding the stuff, its possible but is what I am wanting out there thou. I have a hotrod to build I don't have the money to spend on Tab books anymore. But what I have found on the net and my tab books I have I think I am covered, excepted some of the stuff I have mentioned that I am going to tab out, and give out for free in the future. Like the Motley, Twisted sister , Dio stuff. Cause that is some good stuff there. And I doubt if you will ever see the whole albums tab out for those bands. I have looked for yrs and nothing so, in that I am taking it upon myself to make my own. Tab is a hold down I think and that is my own opinion. Its time for people to crack the egg and to eat what's inside of themselves and to prove, this is really not that hard.:)

Buddy Love    0

6string, :laugh: :laugh:

Then they'll be debates about WMT's - Weapons of Mass Tabs - and here we go again. Before I got my shovel out to bury my tabs in the back yard - just got this email from a tab site:

"Lyrics Lawsuits Dropped" - "After the recent news of the RIAA and/or MPA going after lyrics sites, they have quickly apologized to the sites they went after and resumed business as usual."

But from the news stories today the PMA is still going after sites next year. Where's my shovel?

BL

Alfcarguy    0

I am just saying tab is for lazy people, I should know cause thats how I learned to play the guitar,but it takes more to try and learn the stuff yourself. More balls, Thats all.

missileman    0
I am just saying tab is for lazy people, I should know cause thats how I learned to play the guitar,but it takes more to try and learn the stuff yourself. More balls, Thats all.

I Guess that makes me lazy. I have no desire whatsoever to Figure it out myself.

I prefer standard notation but tab does fine in most cases.