Strings too tight?

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aleco16

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:35 PM

When I bought my guitar, I loved the sound of it, but the strings are so darn hard to press down. I have played at least 4 other guitars and their strings are so much easier to press down than mine. What can be the problem here? Anyway of fixing it? Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

Sounds like the strings are either to high or your using a heavy gauge string set. Take a look in the Tech Forum in the string buzz thread. It tells you how to check the height of your strings from the fretboard.

#3 OFFLINE   joshkaufman

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

Along these same lines, I have a fender strat, when i got the guitar with the factory strings, the bridge laid very low almost against the body of the guitar. When I changed strings and put some elixers on there, the bridge is raised up a lot. Are these strings just incompatible with the guitar? I tried adjusting the springs behind the plate on the back but this seemed to have no effect. waht is the point of those springs anyway?

peaceee.

#4 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

Acoustic or Electric?
Do you know the gauge of the strings?
Do the strings look to be higher from the fretboard than your friends guitar (called action)?

Electric - easier to set the height (action) of the strings. Usually a hex wrench.
Acoustic - usually need to file the saddle to lower strings.
Both - sometimes the neck can be adjusted in height or angle if it's bolt on. Get the strings too low and you get fret buzz.

Strings - Bigger gauge number equals more tension. Harder to press. Change in gauge may require a tweak of the truss rod.

#5 OFFLINE   wjp01908

• Active Members

• 386 posts
  • Joined 05-April 06

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

joshkaufman said:

Along these same lines, I have a fender strat, when i got the guitar with the factory strings, the bridge laid very low almost against the body of the guitar. When I changed strings and put some elixers on there, the bridge is raised up a lot. Are these strings just incompatible with the guitar? I tried adjusting the springs behind the plate on the back but this seemed to have no effect. waht is the point of those springs anyway?

peaceee.

The springs are there to balance the pull of the strings - they should hold the bridge a fraction off the body of the guitar - as your guitar was initially. That said some people set them flat.

Anyway if your strings are heavier than the originals they will pull more on the bridge plate and need a bigger pull from the springs to maintain position. If there is no more adjustment in the screws on the claw, you`ll need to get some more springs - how many are on the guitar now?

Take it to a shop if you`re not sure or have a look here:

http://www.fender.co.../stratsetup.php

HTH

Will

#6 OFFLINE   joshkaufman

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, I have been meaning to take the guitar to a shop to get it looked at. I have a feeling that it is just the medium gauge strings that are on there but i probably screwed up the adjustments just twisting the screws holding my two springs in place. I also don't have those precise measuring tools so it looks like the shop is my next stop.

#7 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

My strat has 3 strings. Maybe you need another one. Do you have the screws all the way in? If so then you need another spring. It's a pretty easy job to do yourself. Probably don't need any precision tools.

#8 OFFLINE   wjp01908

• Active Members

• 386 posts
  • Joined 05-April 06

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:39 AM

You`re right there fly - almost certain that another spring is needed and as you say its an easy job to do.

Will

#9 OFFLINE   joshkaufman

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:49 AM

yeah, i only have 2 springs. I'll try adding a third.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users