Stratrat

Boss Micro BR

minstrelite    0

About my recordings turning out with a really low volume, it was worse when we recorded yesterday. Then I noticed that the input level "knob" on the right hand side of the unit was in the middle somewhere--maybe it should be all the way up? I might have glossed over this in the instruction manual. I don't think it's a thing of the singer being further away from the unit, because we haven't changed anything since the first day we've been trying these, and we've met every Wednesday for four or five weeks now.

I really need to get a louder output signal, otherwise I can't do too much with these. She and I both sound like we're a million miles away.

Stratrat    0

Try turning the input dial up as you suggested - that may make the difference. Perhaps it inadvertently got turned down when you moved the recorder. Also, when you have a song loaded or a new song created, hit the "Utility" button and try adjusting the "Master Level" up (use the +/- keys).

minstrelite    0
Try turning the input dial up as you suggested - that may make the difference. Perhaps it inadvertently got turned down when you moved the recorder. Also, when you have a song loaded or a new song created, hit the "Utility" button and try adjusting the "Master Level" up (use the +/- keys).

Believe it or not, I am still having the same problem. I even just did a paid gig where I sent an mp3 to a customer at 192bps--pretty good quality--and I had to make mention that the volume level was unusually low.

OK. I've got the input dial all the way up. My headphones, and the volume control on my system, are all the way up. By "utility control," do you mean that thing that says "SNS" when I'm using the "MIC" input? I noticed it was at -1 (for some weird reason) but when I put it up to +4 it's still at at the same low level. (I'll have to check and see if it's sticking at +4, or somehow "defaulting" back--you know how techno-gadgets can be).

Finally, I'm a dude who's never even owned a digital cam, much less a digital audio recorder. I care what my music sounds like, a lot more than I care what I look like. Could this possibly be an issue of needing a new digital card? I've re-initialized the card several times now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since the customer needs the job done over again. I also use the Boss every Wednesday for my students, and it's starting to become a drag.

You could also try editing your tracks and bringing the vocal track forward in the mix.

Say--since in this case it's just a single instrumental track, is there a way to edit it to get the volume higher when I re-send it?

Stratrat    0
....By "utility control," do you mean that thing that says "SNS" when I'm using the "MIC" input?...

No. Press the "Utility" button, and you'll see a display that says "MasterLevel: XXX" (with "XXX" being the current master volume setting). If it's not at 100 or above, use the "Value" keys to change it (the "+" key will raise the master volume). I'm currently keeping mine at 110. Once you're done, hit "Exit" and try recording again.

As far as the memory card - I can't see how that would affect your volume. If the memory card was bad, you'd most likely be having trouble saving/loading songs.

minstrelite    0

I think that the problem has been that I've been recording in mp3 mode. I had to get out of mp3 mode to see the "MasterLevel: XXX" that you were referring to. I did so, and moved it from 100 to 110, and we'll see if that makes a difference when we practice again today.

In mp3 mode, I don't see any of that stuff. I just go to "input," move it from GTR to MIC, and then adjust the sensitivity level, usually putting it at +4.00 -- not sure if anyone else is doing it this way. I just found early on that it bi-passes the step of me having to convert to mp3 format later, which I would have to do anyway.

Well, I pretty much solved the problem last week, just by getting the unit closer both to myself and to the singer. I guess I ought to go back to recording the regular way, and see if it's easier to get a decent volume level that way. I could always convert to mp3 later.

Stratrat    0

That could be the difference - I've never recorded in mp3 mode, I was going on recording in the normal/proprietary mode. Let us know how it pans out for you!

Rojoyinc    0

I got one - after reading this LOVE it.

HEY - the ONE THING I HATE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't seem to SAVE THE TEMPO! with the song data?? that means - if working on a recording... setting the rythm and tempo speed... then recording tracks. Leaving and coming back next day - reloading the song - (all tracks, rythm etc are saved - but the tempo is back to default 130bpm) if you didn't write down the tempo - good luck trying to figure out what it was!

I can't find a way to save it - ANY ONE ELSE?

Rojoyinc    0

Are you watching the LEVEL METERS while recording the vocals? Are they showing optimum input value? There are input and output levels on the sides. And I believe there is a + gain for the inputs too. (probably in the menu where select input from GRT/MIC/LINE etc...

Stratrat    0
I got one - after reading this LOVE it.

HEY - the ONE THING I HATE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't seem to SAVE THE TEMPO! with the song data?? that means - if working on a recording... setting the rythm and tempo speed... then recording tracks. Leaving and coming back next day - reloading the song - (all tracks, rythm etc are saved - but the tempo is back to default 130bpm) if you didn't write down the tempo - good luck trying to figure out what it was!

I can't find a way to save it - ANY ONE ELSE?

I've had that problem too (as mentioned above), and haven't found a solution yet. It IS very frustrating! I recorded a track with the drums in the background and all was good until I exported it - the rhythm track was set back to default as you mentioned, and the whole song sounded like rubbish. It's the only shortcoming I've found so far in a great little device.

I'm considering a purchase of something like this, it sounds nearly perfect.

BUT

I am also looking for a quality metronome and tuner, does this thing do the job of metronome and tuner?

I know it has a tuner, but is it really accurate, and chromatic?

I don't know if it has a metronome, but if it does, can you adjust by one BPM?

If it does all this, its just about a garunteed sale. I'm looking for a recording device for my electric guitar, a recording device for my acoustic, I was thinking about getting an ipod shuffle, and I need a tuner and metronome. Imagine if I could accomodate all these wants and needs for 300 cdn?

Stratrat    0

The tuner is chromatic, and can be set from 435-445 Hz. I've only used the tuner function a couple of times, but it seems just as accurate as my Korg CA-30 and the tuner built into my Boss ME50 (multi-fx).

The metronome is actually a built-in drum machine. You can select preset arrangements, or you can choose patterns (breaks, fills, etc.) and program them to fit a certain song you want to play. The speed is adjustable from 25-250 bpm, and tempo adjustments can be as little as 0.1 bpm! The only problem I've found with it so far (as I posted above) is that I haven't yet figured out how to save the rhythm settings with a song, and it keeps defaulting to 120 bpm the next time you turn it on. Now that it's been out for a while and there are more users, I'm sure somebody has figured out how to do it - I just haven't dug around in user forums to find the fix yet.

"The metronome is actually a built-in drum machine"

Okay, thats cool. Does it have a metronome drum feature though? (like a drum beat that is essentially a metronome)? I've heard a metronome is important for speed development and keeping time, Silly question, but will the drum machine replace a metronome completely (I won't have to buy one)?.

It sounds like one amazing piece of equipment. Where can I get some sound samples? I know theres a few on the website, but those might be a bit misleading. If it sounds that good... wow.

Stratrat    0
Okay, thats cool. Does it have a metronome drum feature though? (like a drum beat that is essentially a metronome)? I've heard a metronome is important for speed development and keeping time, Silly question, but will the drum machine replace a metronome completely (I won't have to buy one)?

The drum machine will work as a metronome - you can set the tempo to your liking, choose something like a 4/4 rock beat and play along to it. It also has about 30 just "straight" metronome sounds (i.e. "click, click, click, click....), if you prefer that to the drums. And I agree that using a metronome (or some form of rhythmic pattern, be it a drum machine or whatever) is very important in helping to develop your ability to keep time.

Could you use it to replace a metronome entirely? Sure, as long as you don't mind playing through headphones and/or plugging in speakers to it all the time. As long as that's not too much of an inconvenience to you, it's no problem. You could always use the Micro BR whenever you're away from your computer, and use an online metronome (of which there are plenty) when you have the computer nearby. For that matter, Audacity (and probably most of the other recording programs) can generate a "click track" which you can set at the tempo of your choice. Between the Micro BR and my computer, I've never felt the need to buy a separate metronome.

Rojoyinc    0

Does all that and more.

Can replace a ipod shuffle - I play songs on it - you can even mark IN AND OUT points of those songs and loop them. (I do this for guitar parts to learn them). You can then slow them down too (but the quality breaks up - but still fine for learning faster licks).

Has FULL drum machine as everyone mentioned. I've never wanted to use the metronome since the drums sound much better and serve the same purpose.

ONLY FLAW - and a MAJOR ONE

The BPM isn't setting isn't saved with a song.

You have to re-set the bpm each time you power it up. =(

I use it like this.

I have a little adapter on the output (rather than headphones) I plug this into my amp. I set the amp for clean and I use it for effects, looper and drum machine. This is usually on the boat or porch when I use my small Roland cube(battery powered amp).

I don't need the Boss unit when I use my toneport/studio gear or flextoneIII or PodXTl.

I like the boss unit becuase it's portable. You can put it in your pocket - put on h ead phones, strap on your guitar and wander around the house or yard.

hey stratrat, I may have found the solution to your single gripe:

"Note that the Micro BR uses its own proprietary audio file format, but you can bounce or export any track or track(s) to WAV or MP3 format if necessary to use in another application. I suggest exporting to WAV files because they're sample-accurate and will line up to your click track without any problems. MP3 files always add about 20 samples to the front of a file and require you to move or nudge your file to line up with your tempo."