allthumbs

Should sites like this be shut down?

Do you think sites like this should be shut down  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think sites like this should be shut down

• Yes
    • No

Sites like this are what has brought me back to learning Guitar after a 30 year hiatus. If I had had the internet and sites like these back in my youth you might all be buying my records today. ;)

i really think the music industry is trying all known ways and last guasp attempts to shut as many ways of distributing any type of copyrite material being published or made available to the public via the internet for free, but as a few folk have said there are so many variations of each and every song and if they get there daft way and are successful in this particular topic another form of distribution will be available very quickly, i really dont think there will be any problem with your site kirk and clancy they will target mainstream tab distribution sites im almost certain of that.

Doesn't take much thinking to realize that user groups like here-generate more sales and end users than the loss of some profit through free interchange could ever come close to reaching.:eek:

*sighs* just when i start getting the hang on the true beginner lessons.....i get news that i have to speede up or i'm not gonna learn all the lessons

For those of you not old enough to remember there was a huge uproar from the Music Industry when cassette recorders and 8-tracks became popular in the '60's and '70's. THEY were crying about lost revenue for the "artists". THEY don't care about the artists. THEY care about their own pockets, which have gotten bigger and bigger.

Tab sites (IMHO) should not have to worry unless they are posting actual and 100% accurate tabs. Anything else should just be treated as personal interpretation. For the most part they are not complete and rarely accurate to the copywrited material.

As for using copywrited materials for educational purposes I doubt that there is any provisions in the law for that. Just look at Mel Bay or any other music publisher who produce lesson books. Ever wonder why beginning guitarists that buy these books have to rock out to tunes like Old Susanna, Camptown Races, and Yellow Rose of Texas. Mel Bay, et al, know that they would have to pay copywrite fees for anything not in the public domain.

As for the material presented on this site I would not worry, as the songs are not usually complete and they are personal interpretations of the author of the lesson.

Michael

I'd sure hate to anything happen to this site. It has been a tremendous help to me. I feel as though I have some of the best teachers in the world right at my finger tips. Thanks to everyone here.

It's a good thing I can't whistle. . . if I could, I'd probably be walking down the street one day whistling a copy-right tune and get arrested.

Exactly my sentiments Bob. Heard one the other day I thought funny, the word 'Copyright' in India means; 'The right to copy'.

Just for a joke I was going to vote yes ..

But thought it would not have been funny at all ..:oops: :oops:

I actually can not see why sites like these should be targeted , in the long run budding musicians come to places like this to enhance thier level of abaility , then you never know go on to make it big one ( I'm not one who ever will )

Then they will have record deals , sell records and keep the big companies wealthy , I just thinnk sites like these , if anything enhance the music industry ...

If it was not for sites like this I would be able to learn chords etc ....

My working life keeps me away from home alot and I don't get time to go to lessons from a personal tutor ..

I'm sure there are many more like me out there somewhere

Keep rocking Kirk and Clancy:guitarguy: :guitarguy:

What will happen is tab depositories will evolve. Or better yet each one of us will become a tab depository. I'm sure that each of us has quite a number of tabs downloaded onto our PC's. People can share between themselves. Set up a thread called Tab Wanted. It would pair up "wanters" with "havers". Wanter would post I want tab of XXXXXX. Havers would post I have that XXXXXX tab you are looking for. Private message would be sent containing email address for delivery of word doc with tab or the tab itself. Emails of word docs containing the tab would be sent.

Remember the movie Fahrenheit 451 (where books and the printed word were illegal, great movie - see it if you never have. Made in 1966 from a Ray Bradbury novel. We still have book burnings in parts of the world today.). There was a hidden society where everyone was a walking book. In order to preserve the classic literature from the mind control government that would prefer citizens not be able to think for themselves and share ideas.

Mike

greed,greed greed they should be proud that anyone wants to learn from them.the odds are if im looking for tabs its for a song i like and that i most prob own the cd of.the fact that i paid 20 for a cd with 11 songs on it should give me the right to look at the tabs.its called inspiration.the sad thing is it the musicians complaining or the labels?asa musician id be proud to see some student or beginner trying to learn something i wrote or play.i could see if i was up there recording something trying to make a profit outta it.but i think this is just a matter of lining wallets.and they should be lined up and shot.where would any musician be if the first time we picked up a guitar and didnt try to play our fav song?uninspired most likey and sitting in a married and lonely chatroom all day.so since im teaching my 5 year old ac dc back in black am i breaking the law?

I have two questions that deserve an answer from the person who started the thread:

1] Please define "sites like this." Every site has a similar offering; therefore, not all are the same.

2] Why ask such a question to a majority who are obviously in favor? Only one no, and every other vote a yes.

I have two questions that deserve an answer from the person who started the thread:

1] Please define "sites like this." Every site has a similar offering; therefore, not all are the same.

2] Why ask such a question to a majority who are obviously in favor? Only one no, and every other vote a yes.

I'm not sure deserve is the word your looking for. How ever to answer your questions.Sites like this means sites that offer content that could theoretically break copyright laws.

The title of the thread was to stimulate debate on this topic. It was posted just as the first couple of big sites chose to shut down rather than face the prospect of legal action over ambiguous tabs and B.T.s. More have shut down or deleted their B.T.s and tabs since I posted this and it had a definite impact on how this site is has been set up since then. If you search other music forums for posts about this topic around the time this was posted, you will find this was quite a hot button topic at one time.

Personally I think there is a lot of sabre rattling by repulsively greedy corporations trying to "protect" their interests. I do not believe that this site is under threat because it does not intentionally infringe copyright and is not making money from the sharing of the arrangements. If these suits could only realise that sites like this are an investment for them by introducing people to music they might have a different view. If they could put a standard definition of what did constitute copyright infringement they would have closed every site on the internet by now. Fact is it is not so easy for them because this site, like many operates in the grey (and therefore legal) area that the can not pin down. This site is an international public service that is FREE! that is what would really gets up the noses of the suits. So I would not worry too much because if you take the issue to its logical conclusion, everytime you perform a song to friends you should ring up and pay your 10 pence or whatever the cost is. Power to the people!!!

Gordon: yeahhh:

I don't agree with this at all. The use of tab increases music sales IMHO. I know that I need to buy the music to get the information not found on tabs if I want complete accuracy. Tabs encourage new players to get into music by allowing them to play their favorite tunes. New players buy lots of gear and books. The music industry is making dollars and arguing over pennies. Pure greed.:mad:

I completely agree....many of the sites I was using for tabs, mostly were powertabs from the powertab editor were shut down pending their consultations with lawyers.

I've been so busy of late, haven't had time to follow up on what is happening with this issues and those sites I went too, but, last I heard, since the music/tabs was all transcribed, it would be found to be legal. The only ones that should be in trouble are those that plagerized published, copyrighted material and published it on their own AS their own.

Interesting topic...I need to go out and check this out some more.

cayenne

Let's not forget what the copyright laws are there for in the first place -- to encourage the creation of music, not to subsidize a dinosaur of an industry that is so inefficient and haphazard that they don't even offer most of the tabs that they claim websites are taking bread out of their mouths for giving away. Who has gone into a music store looking for a particular set of tabs and actually found it? Besides, how many pennies do the actual songwriters get from sheet music anyhow?

I've blogged about this on my political weblog. I think there has got to be reform in our copyright laws. This is just part of a larger struggle against the increasingly complete and perpetual corporatization of content that is actually stifling creativity and availability. I'm talking about all those movies that should be in the public domain but are not. The less popular ones actually degrade on the shelf (celluloid breaks down irretrievably if not preserved by digitizing in time) in the possession of the copyright holders because they are not commercially viable enough to release. The people who are benefitting from those overapplication of copyright laws are not the actual creaters, but middlemen who adds nothing to either the creation or distribution of music.:reallymad:

I'm not one of the anarchists who believes that EVERYTHING should be free on the internet, and I don't condone illegal file sharing.....but I'm of the opinion that the music industry (the suits, not the artists themselves) don't give a rip about music in the least other than the fact that it lines their already-way-too-fat pockets. They're doing everything they can to kill music - the only way they want ANYBODY to have access to ANY form of music is through them....while paying through the nose for it, of course. IMO, if they weren't making their millions through music, the majority of them could care less if it vanished from the face of the earth.

I don't remember the exact figures, but I remember reading somewhere that the artists themselves don't make a lot of money through record/CD sales....it was a VERY small percentage. Apparently, their big earnings come from tours, product endorsements, etc.

I'm not one of the anarchists who believes that EVERYTHING should be free on the internet, and I don't condone illegal file sharing.....but I'm of the opinion that the music industry (the suits, not the artists themselves) don't give a rip about music in the least other than the fact that it lines their already-way-too-fat pockets. They're doing everything they can to kill music - the only way they want ANYBODY to have access to ANY form of music is through them....while paying through the nose for it, of course. IMO, if they weren't making their millions through music, the majority of them could care less if it vanished from the face of the earth.

I don't remember the exact figures, but I remember reading somewhere that the artists themselves don't make a lot of money through record/CD sales....it was a VERY small percentage. Apparently, their big earnings come from tours, product endorsements, etc.

And remember....the majority of content on these sites, were transcriptions by ear from what people THOUGHT they heard...This isn't stealing anything from the artists IMHO. It is only a format through which young budding guitarists can learn and build upon, hopefully to come about to fill the current dearth of good music that is out there....which is of course, in great deal due to the 'suits'...

But, that's for another discussion.

:winkthumb:

cayenne

Bob Wolford made a good point on the prior page - at some point, the music industry is going to start going after people who walk down the street whistling a tune because they're letting other people listen to the music without paying for it!

They're cutting their own throats, IMO - their stranglehold tactics are making a lot of people very angry, and I think more and more people will turn to P2P or whatever to get their music just to spite the industry for being so petty and ridiculous....even people who normally would not resort to such a thing.

I'd love to see musicians stage a mass revolt against the industry and all go 'indie', shutting the "machine" down. Personally, it would tickle me pink to see all these greedy fatcat suits sitting homeless on street corners with signs saying "Will confiscate your music for food!". :lol:

I always remember when they were shooting for Napster, and some artists appeared before congress to say the problem wasn't illegal sharing, but crooked record companies.

I remember Roger McGuinn saying that even though they had a monster hit with Tambourine Man (and Dylan in 1970 said the Byrds no longer had to pay royalties for the song to him when it was played), McGuinn said he still had not received one cent from the record company. They said they still hadn't recaptured all the expense of recording the song. Obvious nonsense.

In the computer world, we would call a lot of these TAB sites "reverse engineering", and that is usually acceptable. Artists need to step forward and say "it's OK to have my music represented as Tablature on the internet or in books".