allthumbs

Should sites like this be shut down?

Do you think sites like this should be shut down  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think sites like this should be shut down

• Yes
    • No

si16    10

I wouldn't think you've got anything to worry about WernHalen. People have been teaching songs to each other probably since music began although I suppose there weren't any lawyers back then. Anyway, as long as your friends aren't music industry spies, like Jean, then who is going to know.

Sometimes the learned results are better than the original. Jack Ely of the Kingsmen taught his bandmates the 'wrong' riff from a song that was only a minor hit at the time. This wrong riff formed the backbone of their massive hit, and America's other National Anthem, 'Louie Louie'.

A-D-Em-D with a solo from the A minor pentatonic scale. Music doesn't get much simpler but it doesn't get much better either.

WernHalen    0

I know, I was just being ironic or sarcastic or something in between I think... but if they cant stop me from teaching the song to my friends then we should be able to teach each other as friends now wouldn't we? :))

Interresting about the Louis Louis story...

twhayes    0

You can certainly make an argument that you are using music for teaching, which is an acceptable use under copyright.

One of the stipulations on copyright though is that you aren't using a major portion of the work. So, you can show a clip of the movie the Godfather to show how Italians are portrayed in movies; but you can't show the entire movie--that is a violation of the presentation rights.

Songs are bit more tricky because they aren't necessarily that long, but still, I would think the educational use would work as a defense.

For more information on copyright and copyright law go to the copyright office at the library of congress (copyright.gov). The sad fact is that you can be sued for anything these days and that's how these "industry representatives" win. That is, you may be technically allowed to do what you're doing, but do you want to go to court to fight and prove it?

The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Think of the archive as a research library; you must use the files for educational purposes, never for profit, and you should always give credit to authors if you distribute the material.

Different laws may be in operation in other countries.

found this on web today

DE_South    0

Hey, if I remember correctly; vBulletin allows the administrator to see who voted how in which poll; if you get my drift! Is there anyway that we could find out who voted YES in this poll and arrange a public lashing...? :D

allthumbs    8
Hey, if I remember correctly; vBulletin allows the administrator to see who voted how in which poll; if you get my drift! Is there anyway that we could find out who voted YES in this poll and arrange a public lashing...? :D

That was a slip of the finger by one of our most respected members. Rest easy knowing there was much self kicking going on for days after that slip.:D :D :D You are never gonna live it down:oops: :oops::P:D

Jean    0
That was a slip of the finger by one of our most respected members. Rest easy knowing there was much self kicking going on for days after that slip.:D :D :D You are never gonna live it down:oops: :oops::P:D

:oops: ...

If there is a problem involving music i dont think they will ever get to attacking this site because they have bigger problems like Limewire for example. Limewire is so big it makes us look like a pebble of sand on the beach.

coldethyl    0

I hear this Limewire mentioned a lot and usually negatively.

Who are they and what have they done or doing that is creating this negative feedback?

Neil

Clancy    36
I hear this Limewire mentioned a lot and usually negatively.

Who are they and what have they done or doing that is creating this negative feedback?

Neil

Neil,

Limewire is peer to peer file sharing software. It's encouraging piracy basically, so that's why the negative feedback.

From a users point of view, there are probably adware and spyware issues that could be also causing negative feedback.

Clancy

coldethyl    0
Neil,

Limewire is peer to peer file sharing software. It's encouraging piracy basically, so that's why the negative feedback.

From a users point of view, there are probably adware and spyware issues that could be also causing negative feedback.

Clancy

That sounds a little bit like the Napster problem that they had a few years back where

anyone could download entire albums for free if they so desired.

Is Limewire like that or am I way off track?:unsure:

Neil

Clancy    36
That sounds a little bit like the Napster problem that they had a few years back where

anyone could download entire albums for free if they so desired.

Is Limewire like that or am I way off track?:unsure:

Neil

Same kind of thing except that you can share any kind of software through Limewire. Napster, if I remember rightly, was mainly music.

Clancy

Limewire can share movies, music, programs, pictures, documents oyu name it and its thre. basically it rips off the music artists from profit. I think there was something on the news about it and people who downloading it would be punished.

coldethyl    0

Wow, sounds fairly serious Canuck-Playa.

BTW, Clancy I did respond to your last post, but I couldn't have sent it correctly. Sorry!:oops:

Basically I just said it sounds like Limewire is something that should be avoided and that I prefer aquiring my music the old fashion way and head down to my local cd store and search for what I like. I've done that since I was "knee high to a grasshopper" and I've never had any problems. Plus it's legal and doesn't hurt the artist.

Anyway thanks again for the insight Clancy.:thumbup1:

Neil:)

limewire, kazaa and a few others are p2p sites, u can download music, software and just about anything illegely, but u also get viruses, spyware, poor quality and stuff that doesnt work, bad place to go to

chuck

DE_South    0

I ran Limewire on my system for quite a long time here and found it to be a great source of file swapping. Unfortunately, most forms of file swapping/sharing are illegal and so can easily get a bloke in deep trouble. I also found that a lot of downloads came with a free virus or key-logger just to keep me on my toes!!! :unsure:

nocat    0

The problem is a simple one to define. Billions of $$ in revenue are lost due to

piracy of the entertainment industry. The solution, however, is elusive at best.

Consider the statement. "Billions of $$ in revenue are lost due to piracy of the entertainment industry."

If this is true, then you have to wonder. How much profit is the entertainment

industry making, and further, where are these profits coming from?

For the past 15 or so years, I've noticed a couple of very disturbing trends in the media.

On the one hand, you have the litigators going on about how the music industry is being

bankrupt by P2P networks. How the movie industry can't afford to pay for a Grip's eye glasses

because of piracy. They've even made a TV commercial about it.(Hope somebody else out there

has seen it, and, can back me up on this..!!)

Yet..!! In the past decade or so, I've seen the the budget for even the lowest of low budget

movies balloon into what, (to me anyway) seems incomprehensible amounts of cash.

The average budget for a film. $170 to $200 million, for just one film..!!

The average return. $1.2 to $2.4 billion, for the most popular ones..!!

Doesn't seem to me that the TV industry is hurting too much when

they can afford to pay Jerry Seinfeld $267 million for the 1998 season.

Hollywood can't be missing many meals when they can dish out $25 million

plus points per movie to the likes of Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, Jim Carey,

Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Will Smith, Julia Roberts... Etc.

Let's look at the music industry. In some very rare cases we've had actual "artists" speak

out against, in particular, file sharing. Of course, the most infamous and the one that

sticks in my mind the most. "Metallica Vs Napster".

Metallica's estimated yearly salary at the time... $128 million (I followed that case very closely).

Believe it or not, fundamentally I was on Metallica's side.

But, for the most part, what we have are the industry's litigators (lawyers/media reps.), going to

Washington's courts in an attempt to "protect their clients copyrighted material".

This is like shoveling sand into the ocean... And they know it..!!

But, guess what?.. There is a lot of money to be made in the process. The irony in of all this is

that the lawyer's fees are subtracted from the artists generated income.

So, let's see..The chances that the lawyers are going to create a positive impact for the artist?

Slim to none. Look at Metallica.. They won, destroyed Napster as we knew it...!!! So.. We must

assume that you can no longer download a Metallica song illegally.. Right..? Yea right..!!

The real outcome was that nothing much changed. Hundreds of other P2P's came in to take up the

slack left by Napster, and the sad fact is that Metallica lost a substantial portion of their

fan base. Their current estimated yearly income (according to some web sites) $28 million.

The entertainment industry will not fold. Popular artists will not starve, or be forced to alter

their lavish lifestyles. The perception that piracy is having a huge impact on their profits is

largely generated by greedy litigators looking for a piece of the pie. And

we, as consumers, hopelessly buy into it. Rationalizing the whole time, that

the reason it costs so much to go and see Star Wars is that someone leaked

the pre prod. Is this also why I have to pay $3.00 for a 16 oz cup of soda?

In the sale of an item such as a CD, no one knows exactly how many units will be sold. You can

only speculate, (another word for guess) or rely on statistics.

Loss is calculated by projected revenue based on statistical, and highly speculative data.

For example:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nocat wrote and recorded 12 songs. Cost $100.00

Sale price per CD. $10.00

Number of friends and family members who will definitely purchase Nocat's CD. (10)

number of people who feel sorry for Nocat and buy the CD out of pity. (2)

Number of people who think Nocat is someone else and buy the CD by mistake. (30)

Number of people who will buy Nocat's CD as a gift for someone they really, really hate. (20)

Projected sales. (62)

Projected revenue based on above data: $620.00

Minus cost...........................: $100.00

Projected profit.....................: $520.00

Actual sales. (57) (Apparently, some of Nocat's family members downloaded the CD from Emule)

Actual profit.... $470.00

loss............. $50.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you add a few zeros to those figures, you can see how, as a lawyer, you could scare the

crap out of an artist. Or make an indignant speech on one of the talk shows or a newspaper article.

Or go to court claiming that Nocat is being robbed of 5% of his income. When in fact, all

the numbers you see are pretty much made up or speculated. Except for, of course, cost and

actual sales. In my mind I made out like a bandit...! $470.00 return on a

$100.00 investment. Not bad for a sad sack..!! (Of course I'll have to have

a talk with some of my family members)

What I'm trying to get across here is that you can't take every thing you hear or read at

face value. It seems to me that, for an industry bloated with cash, they sure make a lot of

noise when they feel like they should have made more.

Greed, is that evil that whispers into your ear saying, "I know you have more than you could ever

need, but you could have even more, you'll never be happy 'till you have more."

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way condoning or excusing the people who are making a profit from

something they didn't create or pay for, on the contrary, I am very strongly opposed to it.

But in the end you have to be guided by your conscience and your ethics, if they tell you it's

wrong, then don't do it.

Sorry for the rambling... :rolleyes:

joehere1    0

yes i agree with the greed aspect of it all, just take a look at the oil companys,the wind changes direction and up go the prices its a joke and the taxes we pay :mad:

anyways i can,t afford to buy every cd i hear but the ones i really like i will make the purchase , sound quality is worth it :thumbup1:

i signed up to one of those sites where you pay for a subscription and recieve free downloads for a certain amount of time, not sure if its legal or not but i did pay, it gave me a bunch of free software mostly junk and an add free version of limewire so who knows :huh:

paSia    0

NO, sites like this should NOT be shut down... this site is very very informative.. Y is this site gona get shut down?? i hope not..

BigG    0

If anything song sites promote the artists music and for free. I know a number of club members not only download the words and chords (loosely called tab) but rush out and buy the recordings. The published words and chords make it easier to identify what is going on in the music.

Mind you, you can develop your ear just listening to the recording. That does not justify closing the sites down. Now if the recording industry were satisfied with nominal fees it would probably be acceptable to the sites. Big fees are what they want. Just try buying the rights to sing a song for a year sometime.

737blues    0

There is a school of thought that by the turn of the next century the entire world, (including it's collective governments) will be run by five corporations. The issue of TAB may seem, by itself a relatively small issue but it's very much about how corporations become corporations. They will use any means, fair or foul to become the only source of supply for everything imaginable. Several major corporatioms are aggressively pursuing patents right now on such things as DNA, both human and animal. It's not inconceivable that one day you will have to 'pay the man' for the right to have a child since doing so will involve the use of DNA, for which some Corporation 'owns' the right to .... :helpsmili

Far fetched? Let's hope so. In regard to the music issue, this site has some very interesting stuff.

http://www.downhillbattle.org/

I am sure I don't know the answer. I am against piracy and rip-off's of any intellectual property but it's only common sense that a certain amount of any creative work needs to be put out in the market to become wanted. Why should multi-national corporations be the only bodies allowed to do that?

i sent David gilmour a message on his website about the very same thing ! tabb sites . he answerd me saying he dose not give a toss about them as people learn from them and most of all 99 % are not the correct tabbs anyway . I used to download a few but i prefer the books more info in them and you know there the real deal tabbs .

joehere1    0

it would be a really sad day if this sight was shut down, there is no tab on it and we dont push any music on anyone and were all just here having fun and helping eachother really sad thought it is :(

music companys should encourage sites like this one it promotes everything there all about, if no one bothered to learn music or learn to play an instrument or just kept to themselves i think they would soon go out of business with nothing to sell or promote. The internet is a wonderus creation and promotes everything from music to toothbushes so to speak, why dont they spend all there efforts promoting the artist on there labels and getting the word out there instead of attacking pple who love the music and want to learn to play it

this site doesnt make any money from what i can see and as far as im concearned the music companyies should be sending kirk and clancy a cheque to help out with the cost of the bandwidth, man its a joke, if i like what i hear on this site or what is mentioned i will go and check it out and usually buy the product

anyways just my opinion :huh:

737blues    0

Not so different from computer software really is it? Lot of software developers start out by using enthusiasts and their sites to promote and beta test their software, even turning a blind eye to piracy, until those supporters have made it popular. Then they slap a ridiculous price tag on it and b*tch like h*ll when people don't want to pay it. :mad:

In either case, music or software, the original artists/developers see little of the proceeds. :(

The internet BTW was a struggling and crude idea developed by academics (and the military) for their own use and viewed with much scepticism by business .... until the geeks had done all the hard work to make it commercially viable as another sales media, that's when it became a 'wonderous creation'. :censored:

John