si16

Yamaha APX-3

si16    10

I got one of these guitars a few months back and am really pleased with it but have a question about the electronics that perhaps other owners might be able to help with.

When I place a battery in the compartment the light flashes on and then immediately goes back off. I've been unable to get it to work at all. I've unscrewed it and taken it out from the body and can't see any loose wires or anything else obvious. It just doesn't seem to be getting power from the battery other than the initial burst when the battery is pushed in.

Any ideas? I bought it off ebay so I didn't get a manual and can't return it now either. It's probably something very obvious as I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing, I only found the truss rod on it the other day.

Any suggestions at all greatly appreciated.

Doug    12

Just off the top of my head, is it possible that you have to have it plugged in to an amp before the pre-amp powers up? I don't own one of these guitars, but I have a pedal whose battery is turned off when the jacks are unplugged. But you've prolly tried that.

:blush:

wjp01908    0

I`ve got an APX and it does this - the light only flashes on when you put a plug in the jack socket or briefly when you put a battery in. It comes on properly when the battery is low.

If you`re getting no output perhaps you need to pad the base of the battery with a piece of card - the holder is too long for most batteries I`ve tried ( I think it mentioned this in the instructions) and may need something to make sure that good contact is being made.

HTH

Will

OldG    3

Would it be possible try another guitar into your PC to see if that needs setting up? If you still get no sound with the other guitar, then chances are that your Yamaha works fine - It's just the PC needs setting up to record/playback a guitar.

Try Will's battery compartment fix, then follow the the advice posted by tekker and myself in this thread,and being a positive type o' dude - I'll bet you hear your Yammie.;)

Matty22    0
With my Washburn, the led light only goes on when battery needs replacing.

Mines the same as AllThumbs, its got a check battery light, when the battery gets flat.

Which as i understand it, the preamp is only powered when its plugged into something.

737blues    0
I`ve got an APX and it does this - the light only flashes on when you put a plug in the jack socket or briefly when you put a battery in. It comes on properly when the battery is low.

Will

Yes si16, it's as wjp01908 says. Mine comes on briefly only when I plug/unplug a lead. As far as I know the pre-amp is only powered when it's plugged in and the light only remains on if the battery is flat. I presume you have the volume knob up and the equaliser sliders at reasonable settings ...... just as I presume you have not been conducting more experiments with bucky. ;) (somebody had to ask)

P.S. If you had of asked earlier we would have told you to look in the neck for the truss rod too. They always put them in there.

wjp01908    0

This recording I posted up in members recordings was done on my APX5A - it`s standard apart from a bone saddle, and using medium strings (13`s)

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7535

This was recorded straight into the computer rather than through a mic but to my ears it sounds fairly close to the sound I get unplugged.

It is a little quiet unplugged - being a small bodied and thin guitar - it has a very pleasant sound through a PA and resists feedback well for an acoustic.

The thin body makes it comfy for the "larger" player esp. when on a strap

Will

bluesguy    0
It is a little quiet unplugged - being a small bodied and thin guitar - it has a very pleasant sound through a PA and resists feedback well for an acoustic.

The thin body makes it comfy for the "larger" player esp. when on a strap

My first acoustic/electric was an APX-3A. And everything you said about the APX models is 100% accurate. They can be purchased pretty inexpensively.

737blues    0

Probably not that far away from a Maton 808, (Performer) I would say scotty. Certainly not mellow, it is a slimline after all. Great guitar for the dollars IMHO. Very comfortable to play for women or smaller folk.

sean505    0

it is a possibility the battery isnt making a proper connection and is a little loose in the battery holder. i had this problem and it was a cheap enough solution...I tore off a peice of beer matt and wedged it between the bottom of the battery inside the holder and that solved the problem! :-D