Bill E

Alan Emonns?? (Spelling) - West Australia

Bill E    0

A few years back there was a Pedal steel player in perth named Alan Emons , perhaps not the correct spellin, who also built some "Special" Telecaster style guitars, with string benders that were popular with some of the country players who usually played them in conjunction with a pedal. He also built one for the late Martin Jenner that was, I understand capable of bending any/all strings with the push of any of 6 buttons located on the face of the guitar just behind the bridge.

I understand he used to live south of Perth near Mandurah/Pinjarra, I know he built a number of them and I understand a couple were taken to the east coast but I haven't seen any being played around Perth for some time.

I know of someone who is interested in trying to get hold of one.

Thanks for any info.

allthumbs    8

Probably cheaper just to buy the new auto tuner unit that has a huge number of alt tunings on it. It costs 3000 U.S. There were a couple of posts about it here a long time ago. Maybe one of our members can remember where it is.

Bill E    0

Scotty

There is a heap of stuff on the net on Buddy Emmons the pedal steel player (USA) I did find a reference a year or so ago a guitar store in Sydney had one for sale but it was only a passing interest at the time.

The person interested in his guitars now is a friend from Ireland who saw Martin Jenner playing one and spoke to him about it but was returning to Ireland a couple of days later and didn't have the time to follow it up, he is planning to come over for a visit sometime after Xmas and and asked if I could find out anything.

livewire    0

I was a friend of Martin Jenner and he sent me a load of photos of his Emons guitars which included several Telecasters with all kinds of bender machanisms installed. All of them had b-benders operated via the top strap button but one additionally had a couple of push buttons on the pickguard that bent the top E and G strings if I remember correctly. I'd have to look at the photos again. Martin was an exquisite guitarist.

Bill E    0

G'day Livewire

Thanks for the reply, I would appreciate it if you can make out the Correct spelling of Alan Emons, Emmons,etc, etc. if there are any close ups of the guitar heads it may help with my enquiries if I could spell his name properly.

Bill

livewire    0

Hi Bill, the spelling is definitely 'Alan Emons'. My brother tried to track him down earlier this year and he managed to get a phone number from someone who had a Emons neck made for a strat. If you'd like the number, I think you can email me directly (without the message appearing in the forum) from this site, as I don't want to give out his number on a forum. Please let me know if you do find out if he still makes guitars as there's two of us over here that would love an Emaon tele too! Thanks Bill.

tobyjug one    0

I have bought an Emons Tele, which I am awaiting delivery, and have been told was made by Alan Emons, 1994 model. it has the Emons brand name on head, set neck, and apart from a bit of wear, looks OK.

I don't think there is bender type hardware on this instrument, but if anyone can tell me how good this guys luthier work is it would be most appreciated. I have tried to find info, but this blog is all I can get.

The man who has sold the guitar seems genuine, and says the Tele is great. Just after an opinion is all. Cheers Hey.

Bill E    0

The Emons guitars especially the Tele's were pretty popular with some of the top country players in Perth.

Both John Short (Great guitarist) and the late Martin Jenner played them in the same band (No City Limits) fronted by Alby Pool who now lives in Sydney and is still playing around NSW. Alby also had an Emons at one time and may have had a Emons Bass as well.

I think John Short still plays one he also uses a bender and a slide and foot pedal (To simulate a pedal steel) at the Mustang Bar on Sunday afternoon early evenings with Peter Busher and the Lone Rangers.

I understand Emons once worked in a music store in Perth (Musgroves) early '60s and was trained at Fender USA to service Fender guitars in Perth, like a lot of these guys there is a bit of legend that follows them around, I think his reluctance to seek the limelight adds to the legend, he has played Pedal Steel in a couple of bands around town, I haven't seen him playing around anywhere for about 15 years or more but he is probably getting on a bit.

Livewire who is also in this thread maybe able to assist with a telephone number, we have a holiday place near Pinjarra but know one seems to know him that I've spoken to.

After starting this thread the guy from Ireland lost interest so I never followed anything up.

Good luck.

justme    0

hello, i stumbled across this forum and found the interest in alan emons. i actually know alan personally, and if the enquiries are genuine, you can email me your phone number (s), and i'd be happy to take them over to alan. I know he doesn't really invest alot of time into guitars anymore, but all i can do is give him your number.

cheers and happy new year:winkthumb:

tobyjug one    0

Hi, tobyjug one, or Dave Cogger is my name. Still awaiting delivery of the Alan Emons Tele. As I said in previous note, the guitar has been raved about, by owner, then, since I paid, by others thank ****. Shall post regarding what I think, as should arrive in next few days. Was trying to find out the pedigree of Alans work. Shall see, and pass on.. Ta...

justme    0

i know you wont be disappointed, have seen much of alans work, and theyre outstanding! I actually have progress pics of a guitar in the making! absolutely awesome

Macree    0

A few years back there was a Pedal steel player in perth named Alan Emons , perhaps not the correct spellin, who also built some "Special" Telecaster style guitars, with string benders that were popular with some of the country players who usually played them in conjunction with a pedal. He also built one for the late Martin Jenner that was, I understand capable of bending any/all strings with the push of any of 6 buttons located on the face of the guitar just behind the bridge.

I understand he used to live south of Perth near Mandurah/Pinjarra, I know he built a number of them and I understand a couple were taken to the east coast but I haven't seen any being played around Perth for some time.

I know of someone who is interested in trying to get hold of one.

Thanks for any info.

Macree    0

Hi ,

I have an Emons "Acousticastor" Tele shape made for me 15 years ago by Alan Emons who played in a band with me along with Martin Jenner. It is in mint condition and as I now play solo I use a Martin dreadnought and would now reluctanly sell the "Emons" to a good home. Offers!