LittleFeat

The Best Guitarist Ever

Stratrat    0
Hey Stratrat, glad you mentioned Elliot Easton, I've just started noticing how skilled he was in the middle of a band not exactly guitar oriented. His solos seemed to have a purpose in the context of the songs... good spot... Bones

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes him. :) I always thought he was very melodic and expressive in his playing, and his tone always seemed to fit perfectly. He didn't try to stand out above the song with his licks/solos - he fit into the song instead. I never considered him flashy or spectacular, but he was very solid and tasteful.

The best? I can't say. Who makes me want to pick up and play? David Gilmour. I just love the style.

And Prince, I remember I loved the Revolution and thought of princa as a singer with a guitar. Then I saw him do Purple Rain on the Tonight Show and the solo was amazing. Gave me chills.

Wayne

I got flamed on the Line6 or Digitech forum for a thread I started entitled 'guitarists who we're supposed to like but...erm,don't' so I'm staying well away from this. Tony Peluso was a good call though, and the first time I saw Larry Carlton, (with the Crusaders) I was knocked sideways.

Can I just say that I like Steve Vai. Sorry, but I do. Technique, humour and dedication, what's wrong with that?

Ian

mark1614    0

This was a fun thread to read. It's always interesting to see who has influenced other players.

I'm a 40something beginner but have always loved the guitar. From my dad's old 45's of Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Jerry Reed...to George Harrison, Johnny Winter, Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Brian May and countless others I listened to in high school....to the many blues and fingerstyle artists that I have listened to in the last 20 yrs or so...I love them all and can't pick just one.

I agree about Prince. He did the halftime show at last year's supperbowl and the Purple Rain solo kicked butt.

Stratrat    0

Jerry Reed - there's another highly underrated picker! I also don't remember seeing Danny Gatton mentioned yet....he definitely had some wicked chops.

Fulltone    0

This is a great thread I just happen to see it this morning and thought I would add a few more.

I am going to do like Stratrat so that everyone will know what style of music it is.

Here are some of my favorites.

Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Albert King, Eric Johnson.

Rock: Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani.

Country: (Have to agree with Stratrat) - Brad Paisley, Cody Canada -Frontman for Cross Canadian Ragweed, Vince Gill, Brent Mason.

Here are a few that I didn't see and these are also my favorites. (I might have missed them but if I didn't I think that they are worth the mention).

Jonny Lang

Derek Trucks

Warren Haynes

Robin Trower - This was a surprise.

Henry Garza - Los Lonely Boys

Pete Townsend - The Who

Dickie Betts

I also think that this was a good idea. It provides everyone with who likes what style of music we all like so if anyone has equipment questions pertaining to a style of music.

mark1614    0

Nice list. I have seen Lang and Trower...great shows.

I just watched the Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theater. Trucks and Haynes were awesome together.

Fulltone    0

Mark, I am glad to see that I was spot on with a few of those. Like I said they may have been mentioned but I didn't see them and thought it was a shame that they didn't get the attention they deserve. I think that there are a lot of guitarist that don't get the well deserved respect that they rightfully earned. There are just as many small acts that have wonderfull guitarist as do the big name acts. IMO there are a lot of big name acts that made it big and didn't deserve to really do so it just sort of happened by luck.

Yes, you are correct with the Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks Beacon Show with the Allman Brothers. I unfortunately did not see it live but I got to see it on DVD and thought that it was great. I totally think that this was a great combination and a great idea on the part of Greg Allman.

I wish there were more collaborations that happen. A few collaborations that I would like to see would definately be:

Derek Trucks and Bonnie Raitt

B.B. King and Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys)

Warren Haynes and Robin Trower (Something tells me it would be awesome).

A collaboration with Peter Frampton, Warren Haynes and Henry Garza

The list could go on and on. I feel that get some acts like these together would allow for mixing of styles and bring a hole new twist to some of the music that everyone comes to enjoy. It could also be taking two different music styles and mixing them.

Look at the CMT crossroads show:

Los Lonely Boys and Ronnie Milsap

Kid Rock and Hank Jr.

Brad Paisley and John Mayer

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac and Little Big Town

mark1614    0
I would probably say Jimi Hendrix and SRV

SRV was very influenced by Jimi (as was Trower). His version of Jimi's "Little Wing" is one of my all time favorite guitar tunes.

whodatdare    0

Michael Shenker is amazingly fluid and melodic. He's one of the best IMHO

Jerry Garcia was incredible to see live.

There are TONS more but htese two come to mind right away.

I like a lot of guitarists, Don Felder,Clapton, Joe Walsh, The list is far too big but if I had to pick one for my all time favourite, Peter Green would have to be up there with the best.