LittleFeat

The Best Guitarist Ever

Ledhead V-2    0
I will jump into the G3 discussion here.

I have a G3 Cd of when Eric Johnson plays with Satch and Vai... this is my only exposure to the G3 scene.

In my mind Eric Johnson is the most appealing followed closely by Satch. As for Vai, the guy "sucks". I also have his illusions cd to base my opinion. I will say that technically the guy is untouchable but Man does every song have to be a "Rock Opera"

Ozzy said it best when referring to his music... "why would I listen to something that sounds like taking my car into a shop"

ehh...for the sake of peace on the board, I think I'll withhold comment on that one... :whistling

Led

gravitas    0
I will jump into the G3 discussion here.

I have a G3 Cd of when Eric Johnson plays with Satch and Vai... this is my only exposure to the G3 scene.

In my mind Eric Johnson is the most appealing followed closely by Satch. As for Vai, the guy "sucks" . I also have his illusions cd to base my opinion. I will say that technically the guy is untouchable but Man does every song have to be a "Rock Opera"

Ozzy said it best when referring to his music... "why would I listen to something that sounds like taking my car into a shop"

He's had... moments... of restraint. And he is an excellent showman.

Take your pick of any of the top bluegrass flatpickers doc watson ,dan crary, byran sutton,tony rice,brad davis,steve kauffman.No gadgets, no gimmicks, no distortion, delay ,chorus, etcs etcs to hide behind.pure music,no argument.

"the electric guitar is a fraud"

Mance Lipscomb-old time blues player.

So true

r1p32    1
ok hes new to the guitar scene, but matt heafy rocks the house. crazy solos, crazy non solos, crazy all together.

yea matts great but corey beaulieu is just awesome. i love trivium. i might sound like a newb but my favorite guitars are yngwie, kirk hammet, daron malakian from system of a down, corey, jimmy page, paul gilbert, buckethead!, tony iommi and randy rhoads.

im hearing a lot about stevie ray vaughe (spelling) im curious, wat songs by him would you suggest

nocat    0
im hearing a lot about stevie ray Vaughan (spelling) im curious, wat songs by him would you suggest

Everything you can get your grubby little hands on...!!! :thumbup1:

madman360    0

jimi hendrix and........jack black, i have a feeling that he doesn't really play guitar but i think watching the school of rock like 2 or 3 years ago started my whole guitar fascination.

Everything you can get your grubby little hands on...!!! :thumbup1:

I'm fairly certain that I have just about everything SRV recorded. The DVD "Live at Montreux" is a great place for those new to Stevie to begin, I think. In addition to the two blistering shows, there is a nice bonus documentary included. Crack a beer, kick back, and check the dude out.

I originally signed on because I wanted to mention Ronnie Earl. How I failed to mention him I don't know. It's a scotomatous mistake, I guess. There are just so many great guitarists out there that I lost sight of the mighty oak amid the dense forest. Ronnie Earl is far and away my personal favorite guitar player. :wub:

Earl is a great Blues guitarist who was born in Queens NY and made his home in Boston during his college days. He first picked up the guitar at age 22, so he started late by modern professional standards, like many of us hobbyists here feel we did. Earl plays Blues with all of his heart and soul and has been doing it since his mid-twenties. I first saw him in Chicago at Buddy Guy's in support of his 1997 release "Color of Love". I was blown away; literally crying, for the first time since I saw BB King at the Ritz NYC in the late 70’s.

Earl got his break with Room Full of Blues in the mid-seventies and then went solo in the eighties. In 1993 he released an instructional VHS entitled "Ronnie Earl: Blues Guitar with Soul". It was recently released on DVD. If you want to improve your Blues guitar playing, I highly recommend this DVD. I've worked hard these past few years to become a competent guitarist, and I’ve used a lot of tools. This is my favorite. It is not for rank beginners, but if you are ready to turn it up a notch and play with your heart and soul, this DVD may serve as an excellent catalyst.

Earl stresses the use of expanded chord vocabulary to keep the 1-4-5 pattern fresh, both for the player and the listener. One of Ronnie’s practice tips is to play your solos with three notes. Only three notes, but you gotta play with your soul. That’s the hard part, but it’s also the fun part. Ronnie Earl. Check him out. :thumbup1:

Jim    0

No ONE guitarist - but some that I've liked best - Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, George Harrison, Mark Knopfler, Les Paul (the man, not just the guitar!), Page and Prince...

And Kirk

Among others! :)

Jim

papadog65    0
has any of you heard of Phil Keaggy? i have his cd and it sounds a lot like classical.

not griping, love classical. opera and most anything i have ever heard.

dean

I had the pleasure to hear Phil Keaggy in a concert several years ago. I think he's a great guitarist and puts on a good performance. Lots of Christian music and also some versatile stuff with dropped and alternate tunings in bluesy styles.

fly135    5

Alan Holdsworth was a fav of mine back in the 70's. Never liked his stuff since then. Overall if I had to pick a fav it would be SRV. LittleFeat mentioned Roy. Here's a pic I took of him in concert back in the late 70's....

http://john.panelmagic.com/roy.jpg

Even though I don't really like to sit around and listen to it much... If I could fingerpick the guitar like Mississippi John Hurt I would be stoked. It would be awesome to be able to pick up any ole acoustic laying around when you visit someone and play like that.

jacobp    0
Best ever... too subjective for me. I'd never claim that my favorites are the best ever, but here goes:

Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, James Taylor, George Harrison, Tuck Andres, Stanley Jordan, Eric Clapton, John Denver, Robert Cray, and I really like Martin Sexton a great deal. I'm sure I'm leaving some off, but that's the beauty- there are so many greats.

Thank you for saying Robert Cray, In my opinion one of the greatest and most underappreciated guitarists today

rjspats    0

favourite guitarists is a tough one...i had the oppotunity to see zeppelin live in vancouver B.C in the late sixties and jimmy page blew me away...also a blues guitarist, albert king, opened for the doors in 70, amazing stuff..my dad, he could play like chet atkins and all by ear and one night i was watching a blues show on PBS and this guy Keb Mo came out with an acoustic guitar and my jaw dropped:eek: ...his style of blues and slide and the way he played what sounded like the bass line, rhythm and lead simutaneously smoked.

also like SRV, EC and a texas guitarist Omar Dykes who plays a tex-mex style of blues and 50's and beyond rock, very tasteful stuff...i also happen to think stephen stills did amazing things with open tunings...this is just a few of mine