LittleFeat

The Best Guitarist Ever

You guys are forgetting about four of the greatist ledgands of all time jimi hendrix, brian may, eddie van halen and slash whose solo's are mind blowing if not for these men i could not live, also not as famouse are paul allander, duff and stevei vie.

i've just started learning to play guitar in the last couple months, Chet Atkins has been one of my favorite guitarist for almost 45 yrs, i have only been on this site for two days, and i will probably hear about a lot of great guitar players over time, i will check out some of them, i just checked out Tommy Emmanuel and i love his playing

Chet is special allright. I love his version of vincent. I wish he had used standard tuning for it though.

Robbie Robertson of "THE BAND" - Not the greatest, but definitely Great. I enjoyed seeing him in the early days with Dylan in the recent Scorcese documentary. Robertson is not only an outstanding player, but an excellent composer/songwriter as well (Though I can't say I like his solo work). Hats off to "The Band". You can watch him and the other band members in THE LAST WALTZ.

Could also argue for Rick Danko as bass player... 'Shame he's gone:(

Perry

Robbie Robertson of "THE BAND" - Not the greatest, but definitely Great. I enjoyed seeing him in the early days with Dylan in the recent Scorcese documentary. Robertson is not only an outstanding player, but an excellent composer/songwriter as well (Though I can't say I like his solo work). Hats off to "The Band". You can watch him and the other band members in THE LAST WALTZ.

Could also argue for Rick Danko as bass player... 'Shame he's gone:(

Perry

I totally agree!

Robbie Robertson actually studied guitar under a man named Roy Buchanan who was without a doubt one of the best players of his time. I remember reading that he was one of the first people who really got a hold on controlled harmonics.

Cool topic. "Best" is subjective, I think. Favorites are easier for me. Jumpin' genres! These guys are my faves...

Johnny Smith

Sam "Lightnin" Hopkins

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter

Nick Drake

Susan Tedeschi

Adrian Belew

Brian Setzer

Tom Verlaine

...and the "Best" guitarist in the world today...

John Mayer. :helpsmili Just kidding. My vote goes to Robert Randolph. :thumbup1:

What about Nigel Tuffnel of Spinal Tap?;)

His guitar solo using a violin has got to rank up there with the best!:lol:

Neil

Ah, "This is Spinal Tap", now that was one stupid but very funny movie. I must get around to seeing that again one of these days.

Clancy

Ah, "This is Spinal Tap", now that was one stupid but very funny movie. I must get around to seeing that again one of these days.

Clancy

I saw it when it first came out and thought it was hilarious, then my daughter bought it for me for xmas last year on DVD and it still cracks me up every time I watch it!:lol:

Neil

James Hetfield is a monster rhythm player and underrated as a soloist. His solo in Master of Puppets is amazing.

Slash, he has the whole fast and loose thing nailed down, and his tone is phenominal.

John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, even if I can't stand Dream Theater. His solo set on the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD was incredible.

Which leads me to Satch and Vai. I love Satch's writing and playing style. He plays mind blowing melodies and solos, but always within the context of a rock song. Vai is just straight up from another planet.

Of course I can't forget Dimebag Darrell. The man resurrected metal guitar in the early 90's and set the standard for everyone that followed him. Getcha pull on that.

I'm not just a metalhead though. I could listen to SRV all day, and I have. I don't know if there's anything left to say about the man. The tone, the songs, the melodies, the solos, everything is incredible. Life By The Drop still ranks as one of my favourite ever acoustic songs.

John Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, even if I can't stand Dream Theater. His solo set on the G3 Live in Tokyo DVD was incredible.

Which leads me to Satch and Vai. I love Satch's writing and playing style. He plays mind blowing melodies and solos, but always within the context of a rock song. Vai is just straight up from another planet.

Couldn't have put it better myelf. Watched the "G3: Tokyo" dvd for the 5th or 6th time straight through last night trying to determine who's the better player/who gave the better performance -- and I still can't make up my mind. All three are absolutely incredible. Matter of fact, I'm so nuts over the dvd, I ordered the only other two available -- "G3: Live in Denver" (with Satch, Vai, and Malmsteen), and "G3: Live in Concert -1996" (with Satch, Vai, and Eric Johnson). I bought them through amazon.com and delivery to the door's only $27 for both. Should be here by the end of the week. :thumbup1:

I only wish they'd made dvd's out of the Robert Fripp and Kenny Wayne Shepherd G3 shows...

btw -- if you really like Vai (and who in his right mind doesn't?) pick up his "Live at The Astoria London" dvd if you can. He's from another planet alright, and this dvd proves it. The metal cut "Bad Horsie" is worth the price of the dvd alone. It'll just blow your doors off. Other than the drummer, he's got the same band as in "G3: Tokyo" (Tony McAlpine -- keyboards and lead guitar, Dave Weiner -- rythym and lead guitar, Billy Sheehan -- bass). For the closing #, Eric Sardinas (on elec. dobro), an awesome Texas-delta bluesman, appears onstage out of nowhere and they do a four-guitar jam -- "The Attitude Song" -- that's simply out of this world.

Led

His name may have already been mentioned before and I'm not saying he is "the best guitarist ever", but when I hear Eric Johnson play 'Cliffs of Dover' he is the best to me for that moment.

Here is someone else, Doyle Dykes,

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/Default.aspx?id=1001

who always amazes me when I watch him play and hear him play fingerstyle guitar.

Sorry, Wrong link, but the right one can be found by clicking on the 'performance videos'. Also other good technical/maintenance tips here.

Man, did I screw up. The two G3 dvd's I was so anxiously awaiting arrived in the mail this past Wednesday, and I only ordered them the Sunday before. Great! -- I thought. Turns out I have to learn to read ads a bit more carefully. The "G3: Live In Concert -- 1996" dvd happens to be a cd. :angry: To make matters worse, the "G3: Live In Denver" dvd SUCKS! -- in comparison to the "G3: Live In Tokyo" show anyway. Hate to sound so infantile, but there's simply no other way of putting it. It's the one where Malmsteen is the "guest" guitarist (for those who don't know, Satch and Vai are staples of the tours) and man, does he think he's the cat's meow.

I was after that dvd mainly because I've never seen Malmsteen play, only heard a bit of his material back in the late 80's. I come to find out, sure, he's a helluva shredder, but his playing is so repetitous -- I was bored to death in a matter of minutes while watching his gig. And when the three of them came onstage to jam to "Rockin' In The Free World", Malmsteen acted as though he and he alone was the star attraction. And wearing an unbuttoned-to-the-navel silk shirt (with attending gold jewelry) ala some 70's "What's your sign?" disco duck, while closing in on 300 lbs, doesn't exactly bolster my opinion of the man either. (Probably catch hell from the Yngwie fans, but I call 'em as I see 'em).

It's quite obvious this dvd was made ('03) after the incredible "G3: Live In Tokyo" dvd ('05) as the overall quality of the latter is much better. The filming, the performances, even the stage itself was infinitely more impressive in the Tokyo dvd. No comparison at all, IMO. For those who have seen the Tokyo dvd and have not seen the Denver dvd, you're in for a big disappointment. Conversely, those of you who have seen the Denver dvd and were somewhat impressed are going to be in for a real treat when you get your paws on the Tokyo dvd.

Led

Interesting topic. For those who want to continue the debate, here's a link to Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists of all time.

Two of my favourites, David Gilmour and Neil Young are down the list, 81st and 82nd but both have a distinct style that moves them up higher in my books.

Who is number one? Hendrix, followed by Duane Allman, BB (Blues Boy) King and Eric Clapton.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/?rnd=1142119499152&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1348

Guest gretschguyky

i gotta say the RS list is a typical example of their attitude. if they didn't review it and proclaim its virtue for us morons, then it is not worthy. i don't have a problem with the list. i have a problem with RS. there are more guitarists on their list that i like than those i don't. however, the list is supposed to be greatest guitarists of all time. not just rock. how can you have such a list with no Chet Atkins, no Merle Travis, no Robert Cray, no Earl Klugh. no Setzer, or Vai or Satriani. and it damned sure ain't right with no Reverend Horton Heat! Ok i will sit down and shut up again. all you nice RS fans can start in on me now. would someone pass me my meds...

James Hetfield is a monster rhythm player and underrated as a soloist. His solo in Master of Puppets is amazing..

I agree with you that James is a good guitarist, but he didn't do the soloing in Master Of Puppets. Kirk Hammett did!:thumbup1:

Neil:)

Man, did I screw up. The two G3 dvd's I was so anxiously awaiting arrived in the mail this past Wednesday, and I only ordered them the Sunday before. Great! -- I thought. Turns out I have to learn to read ads a bit more carefully. The "G3: Live In Concert -- 1996" dvd happens to be a cd. :angry: To make matters worse, the "G3: Live In Denver" dvd SUCKS! -- in comparison to the "G3: Live In Tokyo" show anyway. Hate to sound so infantile, but there's simply no other way of putting it. It's the one where Malmsteen is the "guest" guitarist (for those who don't know, Satch and Vai are staples of the tours) and man, does he think he's the cat's meow.

I was after that dvd mainly because I've never seen Malmsteen play, only heard a bit of his material back in the late 80's. I come to find out, sure, he's a helluva shredder, but his playing is so repetitous -- I was bored to death in a matter of minutes while watching his gig. And when the three of them came onstage to jam to "Rockin' In The Free World", Malmsteen acted as though he and he alone was the star attraction. And wearing an unbuttoned-to-the-navel silk shirt (with attending gold jewelry) ala some 70's "What's your sign?" disco duck, while closing in on 300 lbs, doesn't exactly bolster my opinion of the man either. (Probably catch hell from the Yngwie fans, but I call 'em as I see 'em).

It's quite obvious this dvd was made ('03) after the incredible "G3: Live In Tokyo" dvd ('05) as the overall quality of the latter is much better. The filming, the performances, even the stage itself was infinitely more impressive in the Tokyo dvd. No comparison at all, IMO. For those who have seen the Tokyo dvd and have not seen the Denver dvd, you're in for a big disappointment. Conversely, those of you who have seen the Denver dvd and were somewhat impressed are going to be in for a real treat when you get your paws on the Tokyo dvd.

Led

I'm kinda the other way around on this, because I've now got both the G3 dvd's you mention and I found that both Joe and Steve play much better on the Live in Denver dvd than on the Live in Tokyo.

I do agree that Yngwie is more a showman than guitarist and granted he is very good at incorporating classical on to the electric guitar but, when it comes to expressing himself from the heart (al la blues style) he seems to struggle.

I thought that Steve Vai was incredible on the Live in Denver dvd and equally impressive was Satch. I also think that they perhaps found Yngwie quite amusing because I often caught Steve and Joe sharing a humorous smile when all three were on stage.

The Live In Tokyo dvd was also quite impressive and I really admire John Petrucci and I reckon he is an awesome guitarist. Also, between Petrucci and Malmsteen, I'd say that John wipes the floor with Yngwie on guitar.

But when it comes down to it, I go for the Live in Denver only because I think that as much as Yngwie is a poser, he seemed to have brought out the best in Joe and Steve.

Now I've just gotta get myself the G3 with Eric Johnson. Another brilliant guitarist IMO!

Neil

Honestly, of all of the G3 ensembles, I thought '97 and '04 were the best. Know why? Robert Fripp. He offers a bit of that subtlety that none of the new generation guitarists ever have to offer. And he's got monster chops!

He's been writing these intricate soundscapes with his guitar for years (the rig for them being known as "frippertonics"), but no one ever seems to know exaclty what it is they're hearing. They think "oh, it's not very loud and I don't hear any screamin... so he can't have started yet." That's what you're supposed to be paying attention to!

Anyway, I won't go into too much detail, sufficed to say that these soundscapes are the Edge's most fervent wet dream. I'd doubt if the Edge has ever listened to them, though.

In 2004, moreso than in 1997, RF's audience seemed much more... Hostile than he deserved. I got to watch a few bootlegs. The people around the camera kept yelling "Play something!" or "Where's Yngwie?" and the camera man kept screaming "Sit down and shut the @#$% up!"

The problem with RF is that he's not much of a performer. Case in point: the G3 3-way jam. Steve struts, Joe jumps, Rob... sits in a corner on a stool at the edge of the stage, out of the spotlight. And yet, during his composition "Red" he unleashed by far the best performance of the night- or at least, of the night. The monstrosities coming out of his guitar are terrifying, soaring, explosive...

But since he's in the dark and the audience only sees Steve and Satch playing, they credit the whole bloody production to them. Unfair!

Ah well. I sometimes wonder if RF really wants to be acknowledged the way most of the other stage guitar gods are. I think he enjoys simply being a quiet, well-mannered Englishman.

I'm kinda the other way around on this, because I've now got both the G3 dvd's you mention and I found that both Joe and Steve play much better on the Live in Denver dvd than on the Live in Tokyo.

I do agree that Yngwie is more a showman than guitarist and granted he is very good at incorporating classical on to the electric guitar but, when it comes to expressing himself from the heart (al la blues style) he seems to struggle.

I thought that Steve Vai was incredible on the Live in Denver dvd and equally impressive was Satch. I also think that they perhaps found Yngwie quite amusing because I often caught Steve and Joe sharing a humorous smile when all three were on stage.

The Live In Tokyo dvd was also quite impressive and I really admire John Petrucci and I reckon he is an awesome guitarist. Also, between Petrucci and Malmsteen, I'd say that John wipes the floor with Yngwie on guitar.

But when it comes down to it, I go for the Live in Denver only because I think that as much as Yngwie is a poser, he seemed to have brought out the best in Joe and Steve.

Now I've just gotta get myself the G3 with Eric Johnson. Another brilliant guitarist IMO!

Neil

Yep -- that's how I feel. Malmsteen, IMO, was coming off a little too "Elvis-sy" with all his antics. I'm surprised he wasn't tossing sweat-drenched silk scarves to the audience after every number ("Wah, thank you...thank you very much.") Granted, he can fly up and down the fretboard like there's no tomorrow, but there doesn't seem to be any heartfelt emotion, no attachment to the music he's playing -- he seems too damn technical. And if he thinks he's quite the showman by swinging his guitar around once and then resuming play (wow -- was I impressed :rolleyes: ), he apparently hasn't seen Vai's "Live at the Astoria, London" dvd. Steve does tricks with his axe that are simply amazing. (Particularly on "Bad Horsie", where he lays his guitar on the stage floor and actually plays the thing with the sole of his boot).

And the thought did flash through my mind when I caught Satch and Vai exchanging smiles that maybe they were indeed getting a kick out of Malmsteen's stage antics also....then again, I thought also it just might be a case of me wanting to believe they too thought Yngwie was acting like a buffoon.

As far as Petrucci "wiping the floor" with Malmsteen -- I couldn't agree more: there's simply no contest. Matter of fact, after viewing "Live in Tokyo", I'm now of the opinion that John's every bit as good a player as Satch and Vai. He really surprised me. Which brings me to the opposite opinion of yours when I say that because Petrucci proved equal to Vai and Satch, he brought out the best of them at the Tokyo show. I know if I was in either of those two's shoes and I had a guy who just kicked-off the show with an amazing/blazing set such as that, I'd play to my very best of my abilities too.

Led

I will jump into the G3 discussion here.

I have a G3 Cd of when Eric Johnson plays with Satch and Vai... this is my only exposure to the G3 scene.

In my mind Eric Johnson is the most appealing followed closely by Satch. As for Vai, the guy "sucks" . I also have his illusions cd to base my opinion. I will say that technically the guy is untouchable but Man does every song have to be a "Rock Opera"

Ozzy said it best when referring to his music... "why would I listen to something that sounds like taking my car into a shop"