LittleFeat

The Best Guitarist Ever

Best ever... too subjective for me. I'd never claim that my favorites are the best ever, but here goes:

Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, James Taylor, George Harrison, Tuck Andres, Stanley Jordan, Eric Clapton, John Denver, Robert Cray, and I really like Martin Sexton a great deal. I'm sure I'm leaving some off, but that's the beauty- there are so many greats.

Couple more to consider.

Chet Atkins and Hose Feliciano.

Q. Did you hear about Mexican fireman who had 2 sons?

A. Called the 1st 'hose A' called the 2nd 'hose B'.

(Spelt 'Jose', pronounced 'hose A'.)

Dan

Have got his albums, DVD & sat in front row at his concert 14 months ago. He makes it look so easy, his playing is so fluid. After concert went back stage & met him in person & got to speak to him for quite a while, he is a very humble down to earth man. He said he practices everyday.

i've just started learning to play guitar in the last couple months, Chet Atkins has been one of my favorite guitarist for almost 45 yrs, i have only been on this site for two days, and i will probably hear about a lot of great guitar players over time, i will check out some of them, i just checked out Tommy Emmanuel and i love his playing

i've just started learning to play guitar in the last couple months, Chet Atkins has been one of my favorite guitarist for almost 45 yrs, i have only been on this site for two days, and i will probably hear about a lot of great guitar players over time, i will check out some of them, i just checked out Tommy Emmanuel and i love his playing

Bookmark thiis link for later. It has a whole page of Chet Atkins tab.

http://acousticpower.com/

AcousticPower.com -- free acoustic guitar tabs in PowerTab (acoustic tablature archive)

Tnx allthumbs, i just did that, i've been to this site before, i just did a reinstall on my comp and like a real dumby i didnt write down my favorites and now im trying to find some of them again, but the good part is that i found this site

Hoo! Gotta tell 'ya that the first time I ever "heard" a guitar was at a jukebox in a hamburger place in a little town; Les Paul was popular at that tme, along with Mary Ford. Since then I've really liked Chet Atkins, Andres Segovia (what a wizard!), Charlie Byrd, Johnny Cash, Joe Satriani, Jimi, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Nelson and lots of others.

Hi Papadog65

when i was in my teens, my best freind got a guitar, and started to play, the guy across the street from him had a hollow body elect. they used to get together and jam, we liked the ventures and chet atkins, i owned about a half dozen guitars thru the yrs and never learned to play, never had anyone close to me that i could learn with, so i gave it up. last spring a good friend of mine and i got together and he started teaching me, but then he moved away and i've been on my own again, but this time i have the internet and im doing a little better learning, i stll like the ventures and chet atkins, i couple days ago i heard about Tommy Emmanuel and checked out woodsongs for him and love his playing, there will be others im sure that ill learn about from u guys and gals on this site

When it comes to these kind of topics (favourite guitarist etc), I always find it difficult to just pick one.

So please bear with me as I offer my favourite guitarists.

Here goes: (in no particular order)

Jimi Hendrix

David Gilmour

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Peter Frampton

Tommy Emmanuel

Angus Young

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Bob Brosman

Robben Ford

Gary Moore

Eddie Van Halen

Carlos Santana

Tony Iommi

Mick Taylor

Michael Hedges

Eric Johnson

Eric Clapton

Joe Walsh

Randy Rhoads

Ry Cooder

Alvin Lee

Ace Frehley

Brian May

Slash

Believe it or not, I listen to each of them whenever I have the opportunity. Except when I'm playing guitar that is!

Guest gretschguyky

i am new to this site and am enjoying this discussion. there was a similiar discussion on GDP recently. i am not a musician and therefore am not qualified to comment negatively on anyone mentioned here. having said that, i think we all have players and music that we "get" and otheres we "don't get". some guitar players that i love to listen to that have not been metioned here:

Jim " The Rev" Heath

Danny Gatton

Duane Eddy

Chet has been mentioned several times, but the guy who influenced him most early on hasn't. Merle Travis.

great topic. will be looking forward to more.

dean here;

after reading about all those guitar players,no one mentioned phil keaggy or chet atkins. i really didn't know there were so many great players. i don't know the name of an elderly gentelman i heard play classical music with a guitar on a pbs channel, but he had me in a dream world. would anyone know who he may be?

//////out and gone////////

Speaking of classical guitarists, one in particular that I never tire listening to is John Williams. Apparently he was tutored for a time under the great Segovia.

His playing is absolutely brilliant!

Then there is also Slava Grigoryan (I think that's how it's spelt) He is very talented too!

George Harrison, whom I consider an under rated player.

Pierre Bensusan, Kenny Burrell, Leo Kottke and let's not forget Frank Zappa.

I see Michael Hedges was finally mentioned but he deserves a second.

I know we're not talking bass players but I can't resist a plug for one of my top five favorite bass players and Hedges collaborator Michael Manring.... saw a PBS special where he was playing three or four different basses at the same time - it was incredible.

...and let's not forget Frank Zappa.

No, let's not indeed. I still say that everyone should hear Sofa No. 1 at least once before they die.

Robert Fripp, David Gilmour, Eric Johnson, Bruce Cockburn, Robert Johnson, Tony Rice, Joe Pass, Jose Feliciano. Top of their class in their own respective musical domains. And I really like Strunz and Fara in terms of harmonized guitarists; they must have ESP or something.

If you're interested in a site that's got lists and lists of great guitarists, try this one:

http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso_solos_blues_guitarists.htm

They're not all bluesmen, but keep in mind that though they are ranked, they're not neccessarily correct.

It depends what kinda of music and what style of playing you like, but for lead I definately have to go with santana and hendrix, and you cant leave out BB. King I love all thier stuff.

If you guys like Hendrix, you'll definitely like Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. Frank Marino kinda copped Hendrix' style, but he did it in the most psychedelic of fashions. He was hospitalized at age 13 becaust he had just taken a bad trip (with LSD, not with feet) and was constantly getting the junkie shakes (these were the 60's after all). The only things in his hospital room were a radio, a guitar, and Hendrix. Not Hendrix himself, mind you, but Hendrix was the first thing that Frank heard upon waking up coming out of that radio. He's never touched drugs since.

He played incessantly to get his mind off of drugs, became a virtuoso, and formed a band called Mahogany Rush (which is what he describes as having felt upon picking up the guitar in the hospital room).

Anyway, not the best guitarist ever, but certainly an underrated one, and for anyone who loves psychedelic guitar, you'l surely find something to lke in Frank Marino.