LittleFeat

The Best Guitarist Ever

The real reason for my posting this topic is just to find out about new guitarists, but I really wanted to know who all of your favorite guitarists are?

Mine personally are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Chet Atkins. I know they may sound fairly generic but I really cannot think of any better guitarists out there (excluding Lowell and Kirk.) Of course Lowell has my favorite style and my favorite down to earth, nitty-gritty guitarist is Kirk, but there are no other guitarists that I dream every night of sounding like.

Man Lowell was a great songwriter...

Anyway, I would really like to know who you established virtuosos think is the most tallented slinger around

(sorry for all the parenthases...I read 1984 too many times) Will added parenthetically.

Hey LittleFeat ... you're back! Cool ... and thanks so much for your kind words.

It's hard, isn't it, coming up with a 'best' guitarist. It's such so subjective. Segovia was undoubtedly a maestro, but more at interpreting other people's compositions; SRV was definitely the master of Texas Blues; Lowell was King of Slide; Carlos, master of the pentatonic scale; Knopfler, Clapton, Raitt ... all great in their own way ... John Schofield is mind blowing, BB, all those guys that invented certain styles ... countless others ... George Benson in his own jazzy way; Satriani and that whole clan. Steve Stills, Jim Messina, my friend Mick Martin ...

I give up!

Great idea for a topic LittleFeat!...

I don't know about the best guitarist ever but some of the players I've always enjoyed are Jerry Douglas, Vince Gill, Jeff Beck, BB King, Ry Cooder, George Harrison, Mark Knopfler, Santana (in small doses) and for his heartfelt delivery... I couldn't possibly leave out Willie Nelson.

and... of course my absolute favourite player would have to be the one I'm lucky enough to hear on a daily basis.... :)

Clancy

I like Tommy Emmanuel, Ry Cooder, Eric Clapton, Jesse Ed Davis, John Fahey, Stefan Grossman, John Renbourne, Leo Kottke, and Whit Smith from Hot Club of Cowtown.

Tommy Emmanuel is my Favorit . It makes me happy to hear and see him play and thats all what matters for me :)

If you never saw him , go to www.woodsongs.com and download the shows 245 and 349 from their archive and you understand what i mean.

Clancy and I were discussing great guitarists last night ... we forgot to mention one who seems to be able to outplay anyone in any style ... someone we saw a couple of years ago in Brisbane: Prince. He is undoubtedly the most amazing performer/player/singer I've ever seen live. I usually get itchy feet after a few tunes when I go to a concert ... I could have stayed for a whole other show that night. He played the most amazing guitar solo I've ever heard, then casually threw the Telecaster high in the air over his shoulder as he sauntered off stage ... telling the audience "don't hate me 'cause I'm brilliant" ... or words to that effect.

Prince,he is an under rated player for sure. He plays a mean bass and keys too. He did a simple acoustic version of Dock of the Bay, the first tune he ever learned and nailed it using a minimalist approach. He has that magic quality that some of the old times blues players had. He is able to bring out the magic in simple tunes just like John Lee Hooker or Lightning Hopkins. Just try to play some of their stuff that looks so simple,yet when we play it, it sounds flat and lifeless.

check out some of his videos of California Dreaming or Come Together. I also like Tra

This isn't really on topic but didn't Kirk do a california dreaming lesson? I can't seem to find it in the lessons forum or with the search function. I'm sure there was one!

we forgot to mention one who seems to be able to outplay anyone in any style ... someone we saw a couple of years ago in Brisbane: Prince. He is undoubtedly the most amazing performer/player/singer I've ever seen live. I usually get itchy feet after a few tunes when I go to a concert ... I could have stayed for a whole other show that night. He played the most amazing guitar solo I've ever heard, then casually threw the Telecaster high in the air over his shoulder as he sauntered off stage ... telling the audience "don't hate me 'cause I'm brilliant" ... or words to that effect.
Prince,he is an under rated player for sure. He plays a mean bass and keys too. He did a simple acoustic version of Dock of the Bay, the first tune he ever learned and nailed it using a minimalist approach.

... all that AND he also manages to do it all in a pair of 6" stiletto boots and a tight white jumpsuit... now I'd like to see any of the other guitar players mentioned in this thread try and pull THAT off :):D

Clancy and I were discussing great guitarists last night ... we forgot to mention one who seems to be able to outplay anyone in any style ... someone we saw a couple of years ago in Brisbane: Prince. He is undoubtedly the most amazing performer/player/singer I've ever seen live. I usually get itchy feet after a few tunes when I go to a concert ... I could have stayed for a whole other show that night. He played the most amazing guitar solo I've ever heard, then casually threw the Telecaster high in the air over his shoulder as he sauntered off stage ... telling the audience "don't hate me 'cause I'm brilliant" ... or words to that effect.

I concur with everything you say about Prince. I had more or less the same experience at a concert in london about 3 years ago. The guy is simply phenomenal! Definitely a very underated guitarist. He sings like an angel, plays the piano beautifully and is a great entertainer. Amazing how so much talent can be embodied in such a small frame. I wonder if he has a trick (like Kirks plane talk) that he uses to master the guitar so beautifully?

This isn't really on topic but didn't Kirk do a california dreaming lesson? I can't seem to find it in the lessons forum or with the search function. I'm sure there was one!

No, I didn't ml. Good idea though.

this is a very subjective subject ... like asking who was the most beautiful woman

we all have our likes and dislikes ...classical,jazz,folk,flamanco..shred ..

peronally ...i like blues guitarists ..but everytime i see video of wes montgomery i am floored ..

~JMHO~

About the best its Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath ) second best Dave Mustaine ( Megadeth ).

About the Prince thing, I have my purple rain album :) But I had a high school buddy that was in to Prince like you people wouldn't have believed, and he let me hear some bootlegs of Prince and it was pretty much like hendrix stuff but better cause I don't really think Hendrix was all that great, sloppy he was. Prince is alittle rocker dude, to bad alot of his songs are about ( you know what ) and if you don't know than your really not a Prince fan now are you :) . Buddy said Diamonds and Pearls was the best Prince album, and I think he was talking about the bootleg version.

I like most of the guitarists mentioned. One of my favs not mentioned yet is Eric Johnson....I could put "Cliffs of Dover" on repeat and listen to it all day long. Joe Satriani.. especially Surfing with the Alien cd is another of my favs....Then there is Yinge Malmasteen (sp?) Man.. the list could be endless :laugh:

It is a subjective thing for sure but IMHO, Doyle Dykes is arguably the best fingerstyle guitar picker on the planet now. Yikes! Dykes can play!

Best guitarist ever...? Hmmm? Yeh, like jamminlen said, very subjective. I have only briefly seen part of a Video with Satch. I've been impressed with Steve Vai since I have the Clapton Crossroads festival DVD. Clapton is up there. Prince is usually overlooked, possibly because he is so...out there visually?!

Peter Frampton, as a player, is really quite good. After he lost bunches of money on the dismal failure of the movie Sgt. Peppers Lonely hearts club band, he did a bunch of studio work around L.A. and then took the spot SRV was supposed to do on David Bowies tour.

Someone mentioned Jose Feliciano, he's cool. Geez, if you try to limit yourself to one genre, you'd be missing out on tons of good music & players.

How about Brian Setzer. I like his Orchestra stuff over some of the Stray Cats rockabilly stuff. Love that chord work!! :D

An interesting guy I met a few years ago is Pepino D'augostino. Italian dude that plays acoustic, finger picking with some alternate tunings.

Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis....man, I'm not sure where THAT flash came from. But I think that covers a few for a while.

I was recently at the national meeting for my company I work for. One of the conversations I dropped in on was "Who is the better guitarist, Clapton Or Hendrix?" I interrupted and said, "Clarify that one! WHat Clapton played back then, versus Hendrix, or what he has done recently versus Hendrix? And defend your answer! Explain yourself!"

Well, the four guys that were just blurting back & forth "HENdrix! NO! Clapton! Hendrix is god! No! hendrix sucked!" They just froze on that ! There was actually some conversation after that. From there, we progressed nicely into current players & styles.;)

The real reason for my posting this topic is just to find out about new guitarists, but I really wanted to know who all of your favorite guitarists are?

Mine personally are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Chet Atkins. I know they may sound fairly generic but I really cannot think of any better guitarists out there (excluding Lowell and Kirk.) Of course Lowell has my favorite style and my favorite down to earth, nitty-gritty guitarist is Kirk, but there are no other guitarists that I dream every night of sounding like.

Man Lowell was a great songwriter...

Anyway, I would really like to know who you established virtuosos think is the most tallented slinger around

(sorry for all the parenthases...I read 1984 too many times) Will added parenthetically.

heeeeey..well i think Kurt Cobain is an awesome guitarist & songwriter..i look up 2 him a lot..same with Hendrix, Joey Ramone..those r all awesome ppl in music..so yup:D check em out

-jade nobody

I am shocked that Nobody has mentione Brian May yet... IMHO he is one of the greats. Not just a guitarist but a composer and writer.

Cant say that I like hendrix either... He is a bit before my time but what I've heard seems sloppy, but I can appreciate what he did for the guitar.

One of my favourite South African Players is Mauritz Lotz. He has featured on over 1000 albums from country to rock to pop to funk to jazz. I dont think he has any area which he doesnt cover. Except for slide maybe... What is so inspiring for me is the fact that he is self tought... check out his site and listen to a couple of examples of him playing at: www.mauritzlotz.com. The discogrphy give you an idea of the range of his music...

My favorites are Jimi Hendrix is inviolable, Keith Richards, Jimi Page, Paco De Lucia, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton, Dave Edmunds from Love Sculpture and B.B King