- - - - -

The Guitarist Elimation game: SEASON 2

60 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Generation of The Elimation Game? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Next Generation of The Elimation Game?

1. Frontman (12 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

2. Guitar Brand (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   the_experience

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:25 AM

The last game was bacially over, there was no winner with all the guitarist elimated but I think it's safe to say that clapton won lol. I was thinking about adding a new rule (of course if you guys dont like the rules you can complain by Pming me asking me to veto them and if the majority of the users agree that the rules should be abolished then so be it) and I would like some input on the next elimation game after this one.

New rule: You have give a reason why you want to take away points from one guitarist and give them to another one.
For an example: Jimi Hendrix-Heal
Kurt cobain-Hurt
I think that jimi hendrix has more originatly and has more creativeness, etc.

Idea's for the next elimation game
I was thinking after this one I was going to make another elimation game other than guitarist. I was thinking of making a front man elimation game or a guitar brand elimation game like using gibson, fender, jackson, etc.
Let me know what you guy's think, I am open to any new and creative idea's, PM me if you have any other suggestions. Also if you look in the Chit Chat forum I made a cartoon elimation thread incase you get bored of this one.

Glen Campbell-10
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wild-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-10
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-10
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-10

#2 OFFLINE   coldethyl

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,729 posts
  • Joined 15-November 05

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:48 AM

Glen Campbell-10
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wild-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springston-9 HURT
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-11 HEAL
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-10

I took a point away from Bruce Springsteen because I feel that he is a better singer/songwriter than a guitarist and I gave his point to Brian May simply because he is a better guitarist!

BTW, do we have to give a reason everytime we participate?
"Good Music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and quits the memory with difficulty" Thomas Beecham

#3 OFFLINE   the_experience

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:54 AM

coldethyl said:

BTW, do we have to give a reason everytime we participate?

One of the user's thought it would be a fun way to put a little spice into the game so I thought i would try it out and see how it works. Like i said if you guys dont like the new rule let me know and I will veto it out and go back to the old rules.

#4 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:47 AM

Glen Campbell-10
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wild-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-8 HURT
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-11
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11 - HEAL

I pulled the point from Springsteen because I don't remember any truly memorable licks from him and he doesn't stand out in my mind as an excellent guitarist. Gave the point to Joe Perry because he has turned out some outstanding licks for Aerosmith over the years. :winkthumb:
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#5 OFFLINE   coldethyl

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,729 posts
  • Joined 15-November 05

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:09 AM

the_experience said:

One of the user's thought it would be a fun way to put a little spice into the game so I thought i would try it out and see how it works. Like i said if you guys dont like the new rule let me know and I will veto it out and go back to the old rules.

I think the rule would work better when doing a point hurt and heal on a contestant for the first time. But perhaps not every other time after that because it would just be too difficult to come up with reasons over and over for the same contestant.
Just my opinion!
"Good Music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and quits the memory with difficulty" Thomas Beecham

#6 OFFLINE   eXperiment63

• Active Members
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 08-November 06

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Glen Campbell-10
Johnny Cash-9 - Hurt
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wylde-10 - Heal
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-8
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-11
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

I took one away from Cash because I just can't stand his voice. His voice just keeps me from being able to listen to him at all. I gave one to Wylde because the guy is a beast on guitar. I have seen 5 shows from him, and he is by far the fastest fret worker I have ever seen live, not to mention he is one of the best all-around guitarists alive.

#7 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:08 PM

Glen Campbell-9 - HURT
Johnny Cash-10 - HEAL
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-8
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-11
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

I had to give "the Man in Black" his point back because despite his voice, he was a good country guitar player. Took one away from Glen Campbell because he's the competition for Johnny Cash in the country music category, and there's no comparison between them as far as guitar skills (IMO).
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#8 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:32 AM

Glen Campbell-8 - HURT
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-10
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-8
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-12 - Heal
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

Glen Who? (is that reason enough?)

#9 OFFLINE   Chaotic Kittie

• Active Members
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

Glen Campbell-8 -
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-9 HURT
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-8
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-13 HEAL
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

Hurt Hammett, because sure, he is a great guitarist, but he is way too much up and down for me to rate him as a really great one. Few of his solos are memorable ones (seriously, ALL of James Hetfields solos are great, and those are (ironically, as he's not the lead guitarist) the ones that stand out as the greatest solos metallica has, i.e Master of Puppets, first solo of Orion, Nothing Else Matters, Fade To Black).
Brian May gets my heal because of his wonderful sound and feel, and because I love solos that are inspired from classical sources.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

#10 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:55 AM

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-9
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-7 HURT
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-14 HEAL
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

Gonna give Springsteen the hurt again because he has a lot of pretty good songs, but it isn't necessarily his guitar work that makes them good.

Brian May gets the heal because of his versatility and the fact that he seems to carry awesome tone no matter what he's doing.
Mac

#11 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:59 AM

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-8 HURT
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-7
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-15 HEAL
Jerry Garcia-10
Joe Perry-11

HURT Hammet, he is a good technically competent player, but rarely comes up with his own stuff. He is told by James etc. what to play... Saw that on a DVD of the makingof the black album. His most memorable lick is the Lick from Enter Sandman. IMHO

Heal Brian May, he is a master of single note melodies and harmonies. He wrote quite a few of Queens most famous songs.

#12 OFFLINE   AX7221

• Active Members
  • 253 posts
  • Joined 03-June 06

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-8
Zakk Wylde-9 HURT
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-7
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-15
Jerry Garcia-11 HEAL
Joe Perry-11

I gave one to Jerry Garcia b/c he's a great improvisor and took one away from Zack Wilde b/c as far as I know he doesn't improvise

#13 OFFLINE   eXperiment63

• Active Members
  • 349 posts
  • Joined 08-November 06

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

AX7221 said:

I gave one to Jerry Garcia b/c he's a great improvisor and took one away from Zack Wilde b/c as far as I know he doesn't improvise
You should listen to him do In This River live then, every time he plays it he does an 8 minute solo at the start and finish, and they are NEVER the same. EDIT: YOu should also try and listen to some of his Acoustic Cowboy live bootleg set. That is 100% acoustic improv for a whole set worth of solos.

And I messed up when I did mine... Wylde should now have 10, I healed him but didn't give him a point. ;P

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-10
Kirk Hamlett-8
Zakk Wylde-10
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-7
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-15
Jerry Garcia-11
Joe Perry-11

#14 OFFLINE   the_experience

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-9 HURT
Kirk Hamlett-8
Zakk Wylde-11 HEAL
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-7
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-15
Jerry Garcia-11
Joe Perry-11

I personally think that johnny cash isnt just as good as a guitarist as zak, sure he is a great artist and a great song writter but when it comes to playing the guitar and actual skill I think zak blows him out of the water

#15 OFFLINE   garydavis

• Active Members
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 26-September 06

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

Glen Campbell-8
Johnny Cash-9
Kirk Hamlett-8
Zakk Wylde-11
Chuch Berry-10
Bruce Springsteen-6HURT
Keith Richards-10
Brian May-15
Jerry Garcia-12HEAL
Joe Perry-11

I just dont think Bruce Springsteen is that great of a guitarist period from what I heard of him. And even though I'm not that big of a rock n roll fan, I really respect jerry garcia, great guitar player, espeshily for one of the folk albums he did with someone else called "shady gorve" and for anyone who hasent heard it, you should give it a listen.

#16 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:39 PM

Glen Campbell - 8
Johnny Cash - 9
Kirk Hamlett - 8
Zakk Wylde - 11
Chuch Berry - 10
Bruce Springsteen - 5 HURT
Keith Richards - 10
Brian May - 15
Jerry Garcia - 12
Joe Perry - 12 HEAL

Gotta hurt Bruce again, as Little Stevie did most of the decent guitar playing for him anyways.

After hearing "Mama Kin", "Sweet Emotion" and "Uncle Salty" on the radio the last couple of days, gotta give Joe Perry another point for his licks.
Mac

#17 OFFLINE   garydavis

• Active Members
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 26-September 06

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

Glen Campbell - 8
Johnny Cash - 10 HEAL
Kirk Hamlett - 8
Zakk Wylde - 11
Chuch Berry - 10
Bruce Springsteen - 4 HURT
Keith Richards - 10
Brian May - 15
Jerry Garcia - 12
Joe Perry - 12

I just dont think Bruce is a amzaning guitar player. And even though people may say johnny cash is "to simple" or stuff like that, I mean who cares if its simple, as long as it sounds good, I'm fine with it... Came up with some pretty catchy stuff.

#18 OFFLINE   jokeboy

• Active Members
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 02-November 06

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Glen Campbell - 9 Heal
Johnny Cash - 9 Hurt
Kirk Hammet - 8
Zakk Wilde - 11
Chuck Berry - 10
Bruce Springsteen - 4
Keith Richards - 10
Brian May - 15
Jerry Garcia - 12
Joe Perry - 12

I love Johnny Cash, but Campbell made a name for himself as a stand out and highly sought after session man. As an artist Cash wins hands down. As a picker and premier instrumentalsit in the country genre, it's Campbell, no contest.
"It breaks my heart to see those stars smashing a perfectly good guitar." - John Hiatt

#19 OFFLINE   Andy S

• Active Members

• 878 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

jokeboy said:

Glen Campbell - 9 Heal
Johnny Cash - 9 Hurt

I love Johnny Cash, but Campbell made a name for himself as a stand out and highly sought after session man. As an artist Cash wins hands down. As a picker and premier instrumentalsit in the country genre, it's Campbell, no contest.

I read the earlier post on how someone thought J.Cash was a better guitar player than Campbell....Hmmmm. I'm glad jokeboy spoke up. Campbell was probably the tops in guitar playing for a long while. He could do things with a guitar that others only thought of doing.

That's it.... no vote, just wanted to add my 2 cents!

Have fun...carry on , don't mind me, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Arrivaderci! Ciao!

:escape:
Andy S.

#20 OFFLINE   The Dude

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 29-May 06

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

Glen Campbell - 9 Heal
Johnny Cash - 9 Hurt
Kirk Hammet - 8
Zakk Wilde - 10
Chuck Berry - 10
Bruce Springsteen - 4
Keith Richards - 10
Brian May - 16
Jerry Garcia - 12
Joe Perry - 12

wilde is good at what he does, dont get me wrong, but give him the tab to song like blackbird, and i dont think he'd be able to cope. may on the other hand is a flexible player, and can play alot of different styles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users