nagukush

Labelling Notes on The Guitar's Fretboard

nagukush    0

Hi Family ! :)

I hope everybody is well :)

I'm back from the City, and I had met my new Teacher. She's is good but we couldnt spend much time, due to heavy rains and she has given me schedule to be followed in 2 months or so... overall she has adviced me to figure out as many songs I can and get more familiar with the Fretboard and the sounds etc...

Just wanted to ask one thing - I recently read somewhere that its a very good idea to label the Note names on a Spare-Guitar's Fretboard. I actually have a cheapy-Guitar which I dont use any more and I thought if its a good idea then I will start using it in that way. Kindly advice on this - and how should one label the notes on the Neck (Fretboard)

Kindly advice.

Take care Friends and Have a very good Weekend :)

Lots of Luv and Regards

Kush:winkthumb:

cshude    0

I would probably look at getting an office labeler- work out the spacing so that they are spaced to be under the strings. You should be able to stick them right across the spaces between the frets. Hope that description is good enough.

Lcjones    8

Kush,

This may take a little extra work but rather than putting sticky labels on an old guitar fret board, find a piece of white hard board (card board, construction paper), cut it to the dimensions of your own fret board ( or a little larger so you have room to make notes) and map out your fret real board so that you can lay it front of you while you are playing. This way you can high-light specific notes and chord shapes with different colors to help reinforce your learning.

Be sure to draw out all the frets as they are on your own guitar. When you draw it out, draw and label your notes on the white board they way you would be holding and looking down at your guitar fret board. In other word, just as if you were holding and playing the white board instead of a guitar.

Les

carol m    64

Hi Kush, I was wondering how you were getting on in 'the big city' - glad it went well.

When I was trying to learn where the notes were further up the fretboard, I got some post-it-notes (small coloured paper with a non-glue but sticky section at the top) and cut small dots from the sticky part of the paper. Then I found all the C's for example and stuck small yellow dots on the fretboard under the string on those frets. Then all the G's in a different colour. You also know that every C has a B next fret above (towards the nut). You could also mark the E's if you want in another different colour (I didn't but you could) and you know that the next fret of every E is an F (towards the sound hole).

When you have learned these 'land-marks' you can then learn the notes in between. You also know where all the 'pairs' of notes occur (B/C's and E/F's) so all the rest have a 2 fret spacing (excluding sharps and flats of course). In that way you build up a map of the fretboard consciously when you are actually trying to learn it, and subconsciously while you play. You also get to see where these 'marked' notes occur in a chord when you are playing from chord diagrams/progressions.

You can easily remove the dots at any time without damaging your fretboard.

Hope that helps :)

Kirk Lorange    128

I'd advise you to do it mentally, Kush ... lcjones' idea of writing them out on paper is good, as writing things down is a good way to memorize, but I think putting labels right on the fretboard will be counterproductive. You'll start to rely on them, then, when you take them off, you'll have to do it all mentally anyway.

carol m    64
I think putting labels right on the fretboard will be counterproductive. You'll start to rely on them, then, when you take them off, you'll have to do it all mentally anyway.

There you go! - there you have the perfect example, the teacher vs the learner. Thanks Kirk ;)

D-Dawn    0

Stickers on the fretboard reminds me of the old Roy Clark method from the 70's :) The book came with a set of sickers for the fret board...although they didn't stick very well...

coldethyl    0

Hi Kush, glad that things turned out well for you mate!

As for the label idea, I actually did it both the way Les and Kirk suggested when I first started out.

I drew out a guitar fretboard on white cardboard but studied it until I could memorize correctly where all the notes were. Eventually I got to the point where I didn't need the cardboard fretboard and ended it up discarding it.

Now when I look at the real thing (fretboard) I can straight away discern where each note is on whatever fret.

That's the way I did it anyway and it worked for me!

Kirk Lorange    128
There you go! - there you have the perfect example, the teacher vs the learner. Thanks Kirk ;)

:) I'm sure you're right, carol, not me. I know I'm seen as the teacher here, or a teacher here, but I really don't feel like a proper teacher because I've never had any students. I wrote PlaneTalk and created these sites, but I was never a real one-on-one teacher ... I'm only ever passing my (self-taught) advice here.

And I'm still a learner, too ... ! :winkthumb:

Cedric01, one of my mottos is 'trust your dots'. :thumbup1:

carol m    64
:)I've never had any students. :

Believe me, you have several thousand grateful students, and rightly so - I've learnt more from this site than my old teacher ever taught me (nice bloke, though!)

I've been thinking about knowing the notes on the fretboard since this thread started and I realise that reading the music in tabs (new for me) has allowed me to forget what notes I'm actually playing. :blush: Just follow the numbers, the video and the midi and you end up 'playing' it, but I'm shocked to realise that I had no idea of what notes I was actualy playing. :eek:

Major re-think required. But I'm onto it - awareness + a bit of discipline and I'll be back on the straight and narrow before long - no worries. Thanks Kirk.

Fretsource    3
I really don't feel like a proper teacher because I've never had any students. I wrote PlaneTalk and created these sites, but I was never a real one-on-one teacher ... I'm only ever passing my (self-taught) advice here.

Hey Kirk. Don't sell yourself short. Your reputation as a gifted and inspiring teacher extends far beyond this forum. :winkthumb:

Stratrat    0
:) I'm sure you're right, carol, not me. I know I'm seen as the teacher here, or a teacher here, but I really don't feel like a proper teacher because I've never had any students. I wrote PlaneTalk and created these sites, but I was never a real one-on-one teacher ... I'm only ever passing my (self-taught) advice here.

And I'm still a learner, too ... ! :winkthumb:

I'll pile onto this one too, Kirk - you have MANY students, and have already taught me more about playing the guitar than I ever learned in the previous 44 years of my life. :winkthumb:

Cedric01, one of my mottos is 'trust your dots'. :thumbup1:

Yup - it says it right there on the PT slide rule! :yes:

nagukush    0

Hi Friends ! :)

Thankyou so much for the advice. :)

I will write it out and do it... Thanks again for all the kind support :)

Lots of Love and Regards

Kush

P.S - Captain Kirk, You ARE the Best and the Kindest Teacher - You've not only taught us Guitar playing, but also given us so much love and care, and such a wonderful Family here, for which I will always remain grateful to you :)

WernHalen    0

Kush why dont you use PT to learn all the notes? There is a post in the forum there where someone tells you how to do it... I cant think who it was, but I think it was Neilsonite...

Since you are studying PT it might help you both ways if you use the method described in the thread.

krissovo    0

Here is a top tip, now I have never labeled the fret board but my tip is to assign a picture per the note instead of just writing "E" for instance.

There is a good reason for this and it is all to do with left brain and right brain, your left side of the brain will process facts and the right side is where your creativity comes from. Now without getting all scientific the two sides of your brain are not connected and will need a stimulant to create a chemical path. So with writing just "E" on a fret will stimulate the left brain and not the right brain, if you replace the "e" with say a pic of a elephant both sides of your brain will work together so instead of just the facts there is a creative edge there as well and it becomes sub concious during improv for instance.

I imagine this is why PT works so well with the shapes.