mj_zak

Buying an Electro-Acoustic Guitar

mj_zak    0

I taught myself to play on an electric guitar after giving up with a catalogue bought acoustic guitar years ago. As mentioned in one of the stickies I dont think that acoustic was professionally set up as the strings were so damn high on it.

Anyway I borrowed my friends electro acoustic guitar and I must say I fell in love with it. The strings werent high so it was easy to play and it had that really lovely, mellow acoustic sound when both amplified and "un"amplified. So now I'd like to purchase an electro-acoustic guitar just like that but i cant find this particular make anywhere. It's called "Santa-Ana" (anyone heard of it?)

I'm not too fussed if its a completly different make but I'd like to buy one that has a low action so its easy to play. Should I just treat buying an electro acoustic, like i was buying a normal acoustic? also does anyone know what makes I should look for (i consider myself novice or maybe intermediate) and UK price ranges?

All advise is appriciated thanks.

Oh here are some pictures of the Santa Ana electro acoustic.

ec9afdb8.jpg

ef5519db.jpg

lorispencer    0

Never heard of Santa Ana guitar and can't find anything on it. Like a regular acoustic, if you can afford a solid top you should go for it. it will make a difference in tone and durability. Takamine has good elec acoustics in all price ranges.

D-Dawn    0

I second the vote for Takamine a/e. I liked them better than the Epiphones, Fenders, and many other I played before buying.

I've not seen that make either, but there are a lot of brands that make a similar guitar to the one you've photographed..in fact, my daughter's Epiphone PR-6E looks very similar.

katiessexyguitar2

Go play a few if you can and see what feels and sounds good to you ;)

To be honest, I think most modern guitars are fairly well set up from the shop, and it's quite quick and cheap to get a tech to do the final tweaks.

I would advise you to do is spend a few quiet afternoons in your local friendly guitar shops. Set yourself a budget, and compare all their guitars side by side. Allow £30 extra for a setup and new strings.

At the lower range (£150 - £250) look out for Crafter and Tanglewood. Further up (£300 - £500), the better quality Crafters and Tanglewoods, plus Yamaha APXs and Takamines. These are only suggestions, so don't limit yourself just to these!

As mentioned earlier, it's worth getting a solid top, and if you're in the £300+ you're also looking for a solid back, and probably sides too.

If you find a straight acoustic which takes your fancy, you can add electrics to it at a later date. Something simple like a Dean Markley Sweet Spot will cost £50 plus £10 fitting, but that's a passive pickup - there's no battery, or volume/tone controls. Alternatively something like a B Band A3.2 will cost around £120 plus £50 fitting.

carol m    64

3rd vote for a Takamine a/e. Probably a bit more expensive, but if you like the sound and feel, it's worth trying to scrape together a few extra pounds for something that will give you pleasure for years. I played almost every guitar in the shop, narrowed it down to 3, then went off for a coffee and a think before going back and buying the one I really wanted, even though it was the most expensive of the 3. Haven't regretted it for one minute. :)

wjp01908    0

As most people have said, you need to get yourself down the shop and try, try and try the instruments. Try not to get bogged down with the idea of a particular make and go with the one that feels and sounds right to you.

I ended up with a Yamaha APX which I think were mentioned further up the thread - lovely action and it sang out at me when I played it in the shop.

Will

fly135    5

It's possible that any guitar that you choose with need to be setup to adjust the string height (action). If you play guitars in a shop you may find one that's already adjusted to an acceptable feel. If you are trying guitars and find one that you like the sound but the strings are too high then you can ask the shop about setting it up with lower action.

Mrchiho    0

My recomendation is to set yourself a budget and stick to it, but play every guitar in the shop until you find one you like and one that likes you. While Takamine, Ovation and Yamaha are great makes and fine instruments, there are many others out there. I own a Fender, a Gibson and an Ovation, but the one I play the most is the cheap made in Korea electro-accoustic I bought here in Taiwan for about US$120. So don't always go by the name.

i've got an acustic-electric guitar and the pick-ups are i would not recommend them onless your going to record or go to a gig with it or somthing elese that needs an amp 'cause i never use mine.

I've got to go with Lori on the Takamine's. I have played a few and all of them are nice to play. I don't which part of the UK you're from but you can get one from £170.

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/index.php?PHPSESSID=0bbc491d021165cc094320ec39805d4f

Check out the site. there is usually one local.

I personally wouldn't buy a lower end guitar on line, my experience is that you have to pay another £40 to has them properly set up.

Thanks for all the advise. So when I go in do you think i should just ask to look at Solid Tops?

No, just say "I'm after an electro-acoustic, up to £xxx". Solid tops will cost a bit more, but will also sound better. More importantly, they will "loosen up" and sound progressively better with age / use, whereas laminate tops won't.

Darkhorizon    0

I have a Santa Ana guitar and have never seen another one. Mine is hard to play and almost put me off learning to play the guitar !!!

(Bought as a christmas present for me)

Like the previous poster says work out you budget, find a good guitar shop and spend a while playing every thing in your budget.

I did this recently when looking for an electro acoustic for about £400. I was going to buy a Yamaha APX700 but in the end bought a Faith Eclipse Venus (£429). Never seen the brand before but it was solid wood all over, came with a hardcase and just felt / sounded right for me plugged or unplugged.