Effect Pedal Opinions  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Effect Pedal Opinions

• Line 6 POD XT Live
    • VOX Tone Lab
    • Digitech
    • Line 6 MINI POD

coldethyl    0

I'd have to go along with Scotty on his choice of the Boss GT8.

My friend has one and from what I've heard on it, it's something I'll be looking at buying in the not too distant future.

fly135    5

- I had a Digitech RP300A (multi-fx) but didn't like it that much.

- I have a Digitech Bad Monkey (Analog Overdrive, moderate crunch) and it's great.

- The Line 6 Guitar Port is cheap and has lot's of great sounds but needs a computer.

- The Yamaha MagicStomp has some good sounds (delay fx and eq), but the distortion is grainy sounding.

Matty22    0

Korg AX1500g for me, which i loved until i played some real amps, and real genuine amp sounds... And well im sold on that idea now (ill be forever broke)...

The Korg is pretty good, effects wise, but i find it hard to navigate and awkward to program/store tinker with settings.... But im allergic to electronic devices. More than 3 knobs and an on off switch and i get confuzzled

WernHalen    0
Korg AX1500g for me, which i loved until i played some real amps, and real genuine amp sounds... And well im sold on that idea now (ill be forever broke)...

The Korg is pretty good, effects wise, but i find it hard to navigate and awkward to program/store tinker with settings.... But im allergic to electronic devices. More than 3 knobs and an on off switch and i get confuzzled

The Korg actually uses a lot of the technology that is present in the VOX tonelab... THe only difference is the fact that the Tonlab has a real valve installed in the unit so you get a warmer sound, assimilating the tone of a real tube amp.

Guest johnny64   
Guest johnny64

I fell in love with the VOX AD-100 VALVETRONIX, i couldn't believe how warm this thing sounded. A lot of rich unsaturated signals as well.

Guest johnny64   
Guest johnny64

A lot of Digitech products sound so loaded down with low quality processing. Go with a Lexicon rack, I'm highly impressed with the Lexicon, it rated no.1 in all categories of dynamic sound qualities.

coldethyl    0

I have the chance to get either the Vox Tonelab SE, Line 6 POD XT Live, or Boss GT8 but not sure what to choose. I heard the GT8 is awesome, but apparently the Line 6 and Vox Tonelab are supposed to be equally awesome, so I'm not really sure.

I've tried googling for some comparisons but not really satisfied with what I've found, so I thought someone on here may have some genuine ideas on the one to get.

I might have to go and test them out myself to get a better feel for the one I'll like best but thought I'd try the forum first.

Stratrat    0

I'm with OldG - Boss ME50 here. I love twisting knobs instead of editing patches!

I also have a Digitech RP80, but the only thing it ever gets used for is the drum tracks once in a while.

WernHalen    0

I have the VOX Tonelab SE and I believe it is the best thing since sliced bread. As you will no doubt read from the other posts I have posted about this topic elsewhere in the forum. I feel that the TLSE actually captures some of that true valve tone better than any of the other pedals out there. I've tried the Boss GT8, the Digitech RP50 ( i know it is old...) the Line6 POD XT Live, ART 2000 (they dont make these any more apparently) etc. All of the pedals have their good and bad points but the best one of them all according to me is the TLSE. The tones are warm and full with setting up being intuitive... If you are a rocker, a blues player, a jazz player etc looking for some nice vintage tones this is the pedal to get.

I have not tried the Lexicon though. It is much too expensive over here where I live... but I hear it is a beauty... The only problem I have with the Lexicon is the fact that it is a rack mount unit. Similar to the ART 2000 and the normal ToneLab.

The GT8 is more at home in the speed, thrash metal scenes with some of the tones being very alien sounding... It could do great making sound tracks to the next SCI FI movie...

Second to the TLSE I would choose the Line 6 POD XT live. it is also fairly intuitive with a much easier PC interface than the TLSE. Recoding to your PC using this is a breeze. It is all USB connected. The XT Live is a great sounding board and it is very sturdy as well. It fits somewhere between the GT8 and the TLSE...

I replaced the valve in my TLSE the other day and with a carefully selected valve the tone of the board just came alive... Btw. I have had my TLSE for about 1.5 years now and this is the first valve i have replaced. It travels a lot and I expected that I would replace valves more often...

scotty_b    16

The GT8 is more at home in the speed, thrash metal scenes with some of the tones being very alien sounding... It could do great making sound tracks to the next SCI FI movie...

That isn't true - the GT8 is very versatile and very good for jazz and blues tones, as well as classic rock sounds. I use around 35 patches for the various gigs I play, and none of them are close to being thrash.