Anthony_iltpff

Those with a 514-CE - which strings?

which of these brands do you use on your 514-CE?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which of these brands do you use on your 514-CE?

• Diadario
    • Martin
    • Elixer
    • Other

solidwalnut    5
Which strings do you use on it?

Woohoo! Everyone only uses Martin strings on their Taylors! jk. I'm all excited because I'm the first one who voted.

Anyway, I have a 714ce, but they both have the red cedar top. I just love the way it resonates. The overtones on this guitar are absolutely thrilling.

So I like Martins. I use Phosphor Bronze because I like the mellower tone as opposed to 80/20's. The Phosphor Bronze seems to go great on this style of guitar as I'm both a fingerstylist and a picker. I know that the 80/20's resonate the top as well, but I think that they kill more of the warmth. I used to use the regular Marquis line, but now I use the SP line. Not only do those last a bit longer, but the gold color of the E and B strings goes better with the gold tuners!

I think the Elixirs sound ok on Taylors. They have the mellower tone that I like, but Elixirs can't really be brassy sounding when you want them to be. You and I know that Taylor only recommends them because they last a long time and hold their tone when the guitars are sitting in the stores.

Steve

scotty_b    16

I have the DDAE model, and have just stuck with the Elixir strings. I really like the Martin SP strings on my Maton, but they never lasted that long. I used to have a gig that went for four hours at a club, and I would often have to change the SP strings over at the end of the second set.

solidwalnut    5
...I used to have a gig that went for four hours at a club, and I would often have to change the SP strings over at the end of the second set.

Huh...I'm surprised that the SP's didn't last as long for you. But I guess each one of us has different string degredation tendencies because of the acid make up of the hands...

They would definitely degrade on me over time, for sure. I'll change to a new set each time I hit the studio. There's nothing close to the sound of fresh strings.

Steve

scotty_b    16
Huh...I'm surprised that the SP's didn't last as long for you. But I guess each one of us has different string degredation tendencies because of the acid make up of the hands...

That was very unusual for me - my strings don't react to my hands in that manner. Maybe it was the club that I was in - it happened three or four time in succession there so I stopped using the SP strings.

I found the harmonics dropped off very quickly, and some of the Tommy and Chet pieces in my sets then would fall flat in the third or fourth set.