Bigred1951

Pan or Aria Vintage Guitars

Good on you, MrThumbs. We appreciate folk offering bits of information that help others answer their puzzles.

Are you going to visit again? This is actually an extremely friendly site where players of all abilities share knowledge and experience. We get a lot of passers by, and that's nice, but more importantly a lot of the visitors stay around and throw their two cents in when something is being discussed. That's brilliant!

We look forward to more input from you as time goes on.

Keep in touch.

Sorry to hijack the thread people but a mate of mine bought an Aria Electric a good few years ago,its a japan made guitar but we cant find anything that relates to the guitar,trust me ive emailed everybody.

Basically its a strat type guitar with a full maple neck/fingerboard,its been well used but im pretty sure its not the factory colour,it has "Aria Diamond" on the headstock.

Im a Bass player trying to help my mate out and i will try and get a photo of the actual guitar.

I'm new here and I miss playing the piano (just have a keyboard now) so Dad gave me his Pan guitar he had and I'm looking forward to learning to play it. It's in really good shape and brings back good memories of my childhood and Dad playing guitar. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up as I can read music.

Anyhow saw this thread on Pans so decided to share my pics too. Dad bought it in Ontario and it wouldn't surprise me if he bought it from Sears. Not sure how old it is but can remember Dad always having it and I was born in 1964.

post-126057-0-15437100-1362454051.jpg

post-126057-0-69110000-1362454056.jpg

Hey, Tawnya, first of all, welcome to the forum and I'd like to say that it's good to know that someone else out there plays a good ole PAN besides me. lol I bought an H790, a few months ago, for $100. The owner's grandson sold it to me. When Grandpa died 13 years ago, someone loosened the strings, put it in it's case and slid it under Grandma's bed. After she passed away 3 years ago, the grandson took it home with him and slid it under his bed. He was needing some money later and decided to sell Grandpa's old guitar. When I got it, it still had the same loosened strings, the strap an extra set of strings and the pick that was used 13 years before. The bindings were a little dried out so with some binding glue and painter's tape, I got it all back together. It is in great shape and plays like a dream. I love the old guitar. These pics are right after I got her home.

post-124299-0-41364800-1362480717.jpg

post-124299-0-11735400-1362480746.jpg

post-124299-0-24604600-1362480831.jpg

• Like 3

Hey, Tawnya, first of all, welcome to the forum and I'd like to say that it's good to know that someone else out there plays a good ole PAN besides me. lol I bought an H790, a few months ago, for $100. The owner's grandson sold it to me. When Grandpa died 13 years ago, someone loosened the strings, put it in it's case and slid it under Grandma's bed. After she passed away 3 years ago, the grandson took it home with him and slid it under his bed. He was needing some money later and decided to sell Grandpa's old guitar. When I got it, it still had the same loosened strings, the strap an extra set of strings and the pick that was used 13 years before. The bindings were a little dried out so with some binding glue and painter's tape, I got it all back together. It is in great shape and plays like a dream. I love the old guitar. These pics are right after I got her home.

Thanks for the welcome! Cool that you could restore that guitar. Luckily mine is in good condition as I wouldn't know where to start restoring it LOL! All I have to do is learn how to play it ;)

Actually, the only things I've done to it is glue the bindings and put on new strings. It was in fantastic shape when I bought it. I'm sure you'll do just fine learning how to play. Since you have experience playing the piano, that music knowledge will really help you out. A keyboard and a fretboard are two TOTALLY different animals!!! Just keep at it and you'll be well rewarded!!

Does anyone else have a Pan guitar and the logo on the headstock is made out of pressed plastic and tacked on? I can't find a picture of a single one, and my pickups are a little diff than everyone elses maybe even the bridge saddles are too, everything else is pretty much the same though. it's a hollow body with gibson style headstock.

I've an early PAN LP sunburst. Got it cheap in Toronto about a year ago. It is bolt on, ply type skin, semihollow construction. Back then it was probably a cheap but slightly better than entry level. Nice volute on the neck and feels real nice in my hands. Has nylon or some other non-metalic saddles in the tuneomatic, smooth and quiet controls. I recall some early Yamahas with similar saddles. The pickups I have to say are awesome, and put my Epi LP Studio to shame in a small tube amp with the neck or bridge. Its well setup, but with a few signs of age in the body (some small thin cracks). Whenever I play it, I remind myself to get it out of the case more often. It makes me think that this could have been an early teaser to get a jump on brand recognition. The PU wiring is better shielded that most I've ever seen. The logo on the headstock was removed by a previous owner.

It does indeed have a zero-fret so may date to the very early stages of Pan's entry to Canadian market.

I remember some of the Aria and Raven models seen in the forum here. I'd sit in the local shop as a kid and play around on them til they kicked us out.

post-127441-0-28838900-1386122420.jpg

post-127441-0-76452500-1386122485.jpg

post-127441-0-90798800-1386122524.jpg