Bigred1951

Pan or Aria Vintage Guitars

Bigred1951    0

I am interested in buying a used PAN guitar, c.early '70's. It is a hollow body or semi-hollow body (not sure what to call it) and seems to be in good condition, but is unstrung at the moment.. Fellow I know has been sitting on it for a few years. Beautiful color, sort of re/orange (sunburst?). I have been trying to research it on the internet and I know they are made by Aria. Any one on here have any knowledge or familiarity with this guitar? It was/is made in Japan I believe.:

allthumbs    8

I assume it is an acoustic? I took a peek and it is not listed in any aria reviews. I suspect that it is known by another name. Is there a label in the sound hole with more information

allthumbs    8

There is no record of a Pan made by Aria in the 70s that I could find. They used two letters or number designations or combinations of the two.May have been made for a third party maker who slapped their own label on it.

Bigred1951    0

Per my research, Aria guitars wer made by Arai company in Japan. Pan was also one of their labels. Sort of like Squier is by Fender, Epiphone by Gibson etc.

It is a hollow-body, or semi-hollow body electric. Unfortunately I don't have access to it now so I'll have to see if I can get more info. It somewhat resembles an Aria model FA70 that can be found on the following link.

marleyman    0

I need help from you guys. I have a Pan by Aria guitar. It used to belong to my mom and she bought in the early 1970's. It says it is model number 9600 and is in good condition. The body has no scratches on it and the fretboard is still very playable. It also has all original parts. I was wondering if anybody knew how much this guitar could be worth? I'm just wondering? Thanks

jeffery4629    0

Hi, I have a Pan electric hollow body guitar ( not for sale though)

and after some exhaustive digging I found that it is a " P 23 " by Pan/Aria and was made in 1967. Mine is in physically good shape but the pickups are dead and the wiring is beyond salvage. If you get any more info about Pan's or websites for info, I would appreciate knowing.

dennb    0

Pan Guitars were made by Aria in Japan for the Canadian market. Made for Simpson of Simpson/Sears. Trying to do research on Arias is next to impossible. I collect old aria's I have had as many as 11 of them at once. I have a 9032 acoustic that I bought in '66 second hand. Any internet research you do will not date this model back that far. I do know that when I lived in Toronto in the early 70's the simpsons store sold Pan's as their house brand as sears sold Silvertone. To be honest I never liked Pans and the only one I ever baought was a G copy gretch copy with a preamp built in with a phase shifter...overdrive and just about every other effect known to man at the time. IMO Pans were mediocre at best.

emenence    0

Is this thread dead yet? was goog'ln for "pan" guitars and came across this forum. I my self own a pan "lp copie" Pan.. I will post pics tomarrow. But for info, I'v got nothin. I just know how she plays:yes:

starsailor    20

Hi emenence, The threads stay on here so they never die, good one to bring back to life, interested in seeing your pictures and welcome to the forum.

Here are some links to the Aria Archives, the Pan guitars were as has been mentioned sold through Simpsons/Sears and they aren't the most collectable At the moment, there must be loads of them around but people don't mention them that much, I suppose they're hiding in Attics or got thrown away, if you like the way they play and they're reliable best to keep them, it's all about having a guitar you like playing and although they're not highly collectable they are still a curiosity as you don't see people playing them much these days, wouldn't mind having one myself.:winkthumb:

ariaguitars_international

Cheers

Chris

emenence    0

Hey chris thanks for quick reply man and thank you for all the usefull info posted much appreciated bro!! Yeah, you can tell the quality isnt as good as an actual gibson, but this is the best guitar I have owned so far IMHO.. have owned schecter c-1(ehh) fender am tele, Charvel(toothpaste) and I still own my MIM strat(picd). But this Pan hits my spot and plays soo nice i dont get it...if it was a sears guitar, why dose it play beter than most 500$ guitars ive owned and played withhaha But on with pics:

these pics are *old* tooken about a year ago, since then i have replaced all the tuners, pickups, with tail and new bridge, oh and new pots>(a'mess!):

046.jpg[/img]

045.jpg[/img]

and this is my strat:)

047-2.jpg[/img]

iam at work right now so if and when i get back home i will post up to date pics!

I hate flash!!!

starsailor    20

Thanks for the pics. emanence, appreciated, you look after your guitars well, a lot of the Made in Japan guitars were well made I think that's what scared the big guys there are bad ones but yours sounds like one of the best ones, they made them cheaper and the hardware was a bit hit and miss but they still had an eye for detail, Aria do pride themselves on their quality so do try to keep standards high. great photos. that Strats a beauty too.

Cheers

Chris

emenence    0

Yeah Chris I kinda figured that they ARE somthing considering it blows my strat away haha. As far as hardware, deff. feels vintage and not cheap, this thing is very heavy and all the cream bindings and other tid bits feel real and well assembled for the age!.. but here are some more up to date pics of her if your further more interested, along with ne one else. I will post a video soon of what she sounds like...

I HAVEnt GOTN AROUND TO SCREWING DOWN THE BRIDGE PICKUP BASE YET TOO BUSY KEEPIN HER BUSY:D

CIMG2497.jpg[/img]

CIMG2495.jpg

CIMG2498.jpg

starsailor    20

Thanks for the new pictures emenence, be great if you can post a video of you playing, if you post it over in members recordings you'll get plenty of listeners, have you got a youtube site ?

Good to see these old MIJ guitars being kept, I haven't seen many for sale here the collectors jump on them pretty quick, so good to see yours, hope you had a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year:winkthumb:

Cheers

Chris

dburns99    0

Seeing as we're sharing, I thought I'd post a few of my Pan guitar. I bought it used from a music store 30 yrs ago when I was 17 ( you do the math). It still plays as beautifully as the day I bought it. It's a little worn around the edges but still sounds as warm and rich as any ES 335 I've ever heard.

8805.attach

8806.attach

8807.attach

8808.attach

8809.attach

Suz    0

Seeing as we're sharing, I thought I'd post a few of my Pan guitar. I bought it used from a music store 30 yrs ago when I was 17 ( you do the math). It still plays as beautifully as the day I bought it. It's a little worn around the edges but still sounds as warm and rich as any ES 335 I've ever heard.

Suz    0

I've had my lovely narrow-necked Pan guitar since early '70's - since I was 17, as well. It's the only guitar I've ever bought. I've played others, but I keep coming back to my own. While a friend of mine bought a Fender, I was more content with my Pan.

allthumbs    8

I've had my lovely narrow-necked Pan guitar since early '70's - since I was 17, as well. It's the only guitar I've ever bought. I've played others, but I keep coming back to my own. While a friend of mine bought a Fender, I was more content with my Pan.

Some guitars become like family. I feel that way about my Norman guitar. I could buy better but, I have had it for 30 years or so. It's family

unclesol    0

I am new here, but a good friend and I both also used to have old Pan semi-acoustics back in the grade 6 band! But that was 37 (!?) years ago. Actually, the reason I came across this site is because I have been Googling and e-Baying trying to find one of these, as my friend is currently in a very tough battle with cancer, and I though getting his hands back on one of these again might cheer him up a bit. If anyone might know of one for sale, I'm actually looking for the model with a gold sunburst, and the sound holes were more of the curly style than the ones pictured above here.

Thanks!

GotDeeBlues    3

Unclesol, I play Aria's FA71 pictured here(has some minor cosmetic mods), and am always looking for them online, rarely have I seen the Pan label show in a search. They still make a TA50 based on a '67 design, $300-$400 used, $600-$800 new, thin line semi. That is the red one here.

post-9606-049392000 1293879588_thumb.jpg

post-9606-024129300 1293879608_thumb.jpg

MrThumbs    0

Hi Folks:

I just joined the forum for this.

I had my Pan since (about) 1972. Very mellow sound. Good beginner guitar as it has a small neck. The only mod I made was adding a bridge pickup. It was purchased in Ontario, Canada.

post-106685-0-32671800-1306013247_thumb.jpg

post-106685-0-75420200-1306013344_thumb.jpg