David

Is there an easy way to scroll hands free?

My singing is pretty bad.

Some times I put the fingerpicking on standby and just do to some strumming to help me concentrate on practicing singing. I have a bunch of chord charts (some plain ASCII, although most are MS Word documents) showing the lyrics and chord names.

Every time I start getting somewhere when practicing singing along with my strumming, I get frustrated having to lean forward, grab the mouse to scroll my document, and stop playing. I hate that! Is there some easy way to get a Word document to slowly scroll on its own? I guess I could use Guitar Pro, or some similar program, but converting the huge collection of chord charts I have seems like an onerous task...

Any suggestions? Any VB talent out there that could make simple Word Macro?

Any help is hugely welcome...

Thanks,

David

Why don't you print them out? Or, get a mouse like the one I have: there's a scroll wheel that you can use to scroll, but you can also click it. When you click it, it displays a circle with an up arrow and down arrow on the page. If you move that circle down on the page, it starts to scroll down ... the further you move it down from its original position, the faster it scrolls.

David,

I don't know about making a word macro, but I just have a basic microsoft mouse and if I click on the scroll button and then move my mouse ever so slightly it will slowly scroll down the page in any document that's open. It does it gradually one line at a time, but it's not jerky. I'm not sure if that would work for you or if it would be too fast. My logitech cordless mouse doesn't do the same thing. Maybe it would if I changed the settings, but my microsoft (corded one) does a great job of scrolling automatically.

The other thing you could do (of course) is just print it out and stick it on the wall in front of you (I know, I know) very low tech.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea that they could share.

Clancy

Why don't you print them out? Or, get a mouse like the one I have: there's a scroll wheel that you can use to scroll, but you can also click it. When you click it, it displays a circle with an up arrow and down arrow on the page. If you move that circle down on the page, it starts to scroll down ... the further you move it down from its original position, the faster it scrolls.

Hey!! you got in before me Kirk. We need to compare notes more often ;)

Clancy

My logitech cordless mouse doesn't do the same thing. Maybe it would if I changed the settings

Yes if you change the middle button setting to "Autoscroll" - the default (on mine at least) seems to be "universal scroll" which only moves when you move the mouse whereas Autoscroll keeps moving until you move the mouse back over the scroll "blob" that appears (or click a button).

Another suggestion, which might suit some, would be to copy things into powerpoint - say a verse, or verse & chorus, per slide - then you can view the slideshow & change slides by clicking the mouse/ pressing space bar (possibly by putting one or other on the floor to do it with your foot as you play). :)

When I was printing out sheet after sheet of music, and trying to stick them all in a book, I thought, damn, why don't I invent a portable laptop type of device where I can download and store all this music and use it while I'm playing? What a great idea, I thought! Then I did some research and found someone already invented one. You use a footpedal to move your music along. Brilliant, but pricey.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9665830722.html

http://www.freehandsystems.com/

1980.attach

1981.attach

Cool!

Clancy at the time suggested I use a smart mouse. They scroll automatically and you can adjust the speed. And I have one! Doh!!!!

Best,

D

When I was printing out sheet after sheet of music, and trying to stick them all in a book, I thought, damn, why don't I invent a portable laptop type of device where I can download and store all this music and use it while I'm playing? What a great idea, I thought! Then I did some research and found someone already invented one. You use a footpedal to move your music along. Brilliant, but pricey.

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9665830722.html

http://www.freehandsystems.com/

I have tried these and they didn't really do it for me....

They are also very expensive, and I don't know how reliable they are, or what support would be like