David

How often do You Re-string?

When did you last replace your strings?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last replace your strings?

• Today
    • Within the last couple of days
    • Within the last couple of weeks
    • A few months ago
    • Last year
    • Can't remember

paSia    0

ok so now i have re-stringed & polish... my tune sounds really out of tune.. i have a tuner that plays with my mind... for xample i tune E, i tune it then go tune A D G B E then i double check & then E is not the right tune... & also ADGBE... i don't want to tightened my strings more cos it feels so tight alredy that i think it just mite snap... oH what should i do??? is this bcos the strings are new..?

Lcjones    8

paSia,

Each time you turn a tuner to bring up a string, the tension on the neck changes and will ultimately de-tune adjacent strings. As each string comes closer to being "in tune" the neck stabilizes. As well, new strings will always require several tunings to get properly stretched. When you install new strings be sure to start your winding on the tuner as tight as possible. I always loop three to five tight loops on the tuners before actually winding up. This helps eliminate "string slipage" as you start the tuning process.

Once you have the guitar strung up, give it few rounds of chords and "re-tune" again. New strings will almost always go out of tune on the first several strums of the guitar or until they get seated properly.

Hope this helps.

Les

WernHalen    0

paSia, It is quite normal with new strings to strech a little, especially if you are looking at a classical guitar, they strech forever. Depending on the quality of strings you buy you will experience more or less stretch.

Make sure your tuner is calibrated to 440Hz and that you have not over tuned the strings. A friend of mine strung his guitar with heavy guage strings (if you have a classical guitar this should not be a problem) He over tuned the guitarby a whole octave the guitar eventually broke apart at the bridge. I took a look at the guitar and when i could not fret a chord I let the tension go butthe damage was done... One of the more horrible guitar stories I have... :( Again if you have a classical guitar this should not be a problem... ( I think...)

paSia    0

yeh i do have a classical... the string brand is classic guitar olympia strings... nways ur story scread me so i just loosend up the strings.

WernHalen    0

I really did not mean to scare you... I really dont hink you have any thing to worry about, especially with a classical guitar. To be safe wind the sting to tension while the tuner is switched on. the needle will rise the first time the strings reach the tension of the required note... also go about it as lcjones said, tighten the strings a couple of times going from top to bottom with the tuner. Then play a bit and do the same... :thumbup:

tunemeup    0

Oh boy... ummm... well... :oops:

I've had my aucustic guitar for about 5 years... um, never changed the strings :oops:

Of course I have only been serious about it for the past month (before that was pain, frustration, and procrastination!)

So , I am going to go out and get a set of new strings. Thinking of trying both 'cheap' and more expensive strings just to get a feel for which is better for me.

Boy, do I feel dumb :unsure:

allthumbs    8

I've had my aucustic guitar for about 5 years... um, never changed the strings :oops:

Of course I have only been serious about it for the past month (before that was pain, frustration, and procrastination!)

So , I am going to go out and get a set of new strings. Thinking of trying both 'cheap' and more expensive strings just to get a feel for which is better for me.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: NEW RECORD:clap: :P You are gonna love the sound of new strings after 5 years.

munky    0

I bought a dozen packs of strings for my Strat and another five for my Les Paul online for pretty cheap, so I restring whenever my old strings start to sound dull.

Before I had a supply on hand it wasn't uncommon for me to go two or three months on one set of strings.

bluesguy    0

I am about to start a practice of restringing my Takamine about once per month. The strings seem to be getting dull that often now. That is a good thing since it means I am playing my guitar a lot more than I use to :thumbup1:

paSia    0

your nOt dumb... your story is funnythough.. thanx for the laugh..

Rob451    0

Just put some La Bella "Folk Singer" nylon strings on my Seagull, just to see what they sound like. Pretty nice, really. I just really like the mellow sound of nylon strings, so I may stick with them, even on my Seagull.

USGold    0

I play about 4 guitars , rotatting among them so they usually don't wear out much, 1 the fender AE has nickels, the other two acoustics, the Seagull and the Ibenex AE10 have Martin Marquis and my electric is new and the strings that came on it seem ok--I will be replacing those soon though-sinec I got a coupon for 12 new sets when I bought it and I plan to try Fender squire bullets.

my chemisty is fairly high and does strings in fairly fast, at least once a month for me with strings, but new strings really sound so much nicer expecially on the acoustic :)

tunemeup    0

I finally changed my strings this past weekend!

WOW! What a difference! I had NO idea how terrible I must have sounded!

Now I'm saving for the next set of strings. No way am I going to wait that long agian!

:online2lo

Darkhodge    0

I restring whenever the strings break! Bad habit I know but I'm lazy like Kirk and hate the process of restringing! ;) That is of course unless I have a gig coming up etc...

Also it's much more cost effective! (I'm a poor poor student:))

@tunemeup: wow the strings have lasted you 5 years!?

Brian Hill    0
"something I have always avoided because I had heard that to take them all off at once is bad for the guitar ... too much relief from the tension ... and that it's best to change them one at a time."

Thanks!

That's an old wives tail. You can't hurt your neck by takeing off all the strings.

BH

Hilch    0
I change them as rarely as possible, only because I loathe the process. !
:smilinguitar:

I agree with that statement ...I try to change them about 3 months only if I can't con someone else in to doing for me :laughingg: :laughingg:

Hilch