• Web search
    • Recommended by a friend/other website
    • Youtube videos
    • Planetalk
    • Through Kirk's posts/articles on other forums
    • Sheer blind luck

si16    10

Just curious.

For me it was through a web search. I had been looking for a site like this for a while but usually just found sites which promised much but delivered little. I remember finding here for the first time and being sceptical about the free lessons, especially when in those days had to vote for the site first before you could access the lessons. However when the lesson loaded, and I saw Kirk picking away I knew I'd be around for awhile. It helped that it was 'Always on my Mind' one of my favourite Elvis songs and I stayed up until about 3am trying to learn the first part. I didn't participate in the forum for a good while but I used to read it, a few of the old forum guys are still going - Allthumbs, 6string, a few others.

Things have just kept getting better ever since. :yes:

lorispencer    0

web search for a guitar tab the first time. Linked the guitar tab for the song and forgot about it for about a year. clicked on the saved link to the song a few months ago and found the site that i had been trying to remember. had it all along.

OldG    3

I found Kirk's Lessons posted at the Guitartab universe forum - came here for a look and stayed ever since. :yes: I find GfB&B to be the most interesting, instructive and friendliest guitar forum around.

Big thanks to Kirk and Clancy for the lessons and excellent site format - and to everyone else for the input and warm ambience here :claping::D

cshude    0

I said "sheer blind luck" because I simply can't remember. It is definitely one of the friendliest places I've found on the net.

Andy S    9

Had been hanging out, reading & stuff at Wholenote.com. Kirk posted some stuff and mentioned Plane Talk. I checked out Plane Talk, bought it, came here & also joined the Plane Talk forum (I don't go there too often.) Spend most of the time here and Wholenote.com. Probably need to spend more time Practicing rather than reading!! Doh!!:smilinguitar:

solidwalnut    5

I've been hanging out at Wholenote.com for a few years. I've talked with Kirk back and forth in several threads, and then I decided to order Plane Talk. He and his playing always impressed me, but I acquired a genuine respect for him and his ability to communicate how to play after reading PT. I found that he had started this forum a while back, but I just recently decided to jump in. I'm glad I did. Great resource, great people.

coldethyl    0

I was actually after some fingerpicking exercises and songs to do, and I remember coming on GFB&B and finding Kirk's tabs etc very helpful in this regard.

I especially found Kirk's tabs etc extra informative and helpful because Kirk always explains clearly the song and the arrangements plus he provides a video of how it should be played. No other site I found really did that, so for me Kirk's site was a welcome breath of fresh air when it came to wanting to improve my fingerpicking and also to learn some new material. As others have found, when it came to using the forum, I was knocked out by the friendly and welcoming approach that was presented to me and other new members, and also the dedication from Kirk, Clancy, and the mods to maintaining a forum that was free of abusive, and racial attacks that are so common on other forums.

I really don't think Kirk can be thanked enough for all the work that he has put into this site and credit to him for his unselfish efforts to help other aspiring guitarists (like myself) who can avail themselves of his knowledge and abilities.

Credit also to Clancy for the unending work that she has devoted, and for her continued search to always to improve upon what is already a super user friendly site.

To thank Kirk and Clancy is really the least we can all do, because we're the lucky ones who get to reap the benefits of their generosity.

Thankyou both Kirk & Clancy!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Through a web search. Searched for guitar lessons and guitar communities, and found this place. At first I was very reluctant to it, but there was such a spirit and lots of nice persons here that I couldn't stay out. :)

Stratrat    0
Am i the only one that saw the Newsgroup Newsletter on alt.guitar.tabs or something similar?

Now that you mention it - I voted "web search", but it may have been a link from a post in one of the usenet groups also!

Doug    12

There was a post of Kirk's on rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic. I was pretty fed up with that news group (extreme rudeness) so when I found how friendly and informative this group is, I haven't bothered going back there.

Garg    0

through a «steel this video» on ultimate-guitar.com. i will never be able to thank you enough Kirk for what this site gave me.

toryst    0

I came via caberocks.net because as Tekker said, PicknGrin recommended it. But tracing back all the sites I found, it all began with Wholenote. Incidentally, because of the quality of all the people here and the quality of this website as a whole (thanks to Clancy:winkthumb: :yes: ) it is now the forum I frequent the majority of the time. The stuff I learn here is astronomical so I must say to everyone THANK YOU!!!