Kirk Lorange

She's all mine!

I picked up my new acoustic on Friday ... I've never had any desire to kiss another man, but when I plucked this instrument in his workshop it was all I could do not plant a big wet one on Michael Palm's forehead. I always dreamed of the perfect guitar ... now I own it. I can't describe how perfect it is, in all respects. The sound is loud and pure, the craftmanship beyond compare, the playablity something I've never experienced, and I've been playing daily since 1961!

I'll be doing the next lesson with it, so you'll be able to hear it. I'm one happy camper ...

3043.attach

3044.attach

3045.attach

3046.attach

3047.attach

Super cool! If the way those frets are finished in that close up of the sound-hole is an indication of the general build standard, I can see why you're a happy man. Looking forward to hearing it!

Looks nice! Care to elaborate a bit?

I think I'm seeing a spruce top, rosewood sides (and back?), possibly mahogany neck and ebony bridge and fretboard. That's the perfect combination of tonewoods in my book.

The pickguard looks a little crazy but definitely unique.

Look forward to hearing it ring. If it sounds great now, just think how it's gonna sound in twenty years. Ever tried setting a guitar in front of a speaker to speed up the "opening up" process? I never have but have heard it works.

Say, the rosette looks like inlaid ebony (or some similar dark wood) rather than decals or plastic. That's always a good indicator of fine craftsmanship.

Congratulations!

Wait, now I get it. The wierd picture of you is your reflection in the back. Definitley looks like rosewood to me. Sorry for the drool.

How about a close-up of the binding?

It's AAAA Engleman Spruce soundboard, AAAA Indian Rosewood on back and sides ... I'm not sure what the neck is made of, I'll have to ask him.

I particularly like the traditional Grover tuning pegs ... they're so lightweight and discrete and work beautifully.

I'll take some closeups asap ... I'll do my lesson today and soon you'll hear it. It rings like a bell.

You got to stop this Kirk! Every time you show some gear online I get the urge to do the same. trouble is I aint got nothing as well built as that baby. So I get the itch, and my lovely wife keeps saying to me "No don't even ask". The last time was when you bought your hotrod, I ended up with the same a few months later. Guess what I'm going to a guitar show next week. LOL:laughingg:

I picked up my new acoustic on Friday ... I've never had any desire to kiss another man, but when I plucked this instrument in his workshop it was all I could do not plant a big wet one on Michael Palm's forehead. I always dreamed of the perfect guitar ... now I own it. I can't describe how perfect it is, in all respects. The sound is loud and pure, the craftmanship beyond compare, the playablity something I've never experienced, and I've been playing daily since 1961!

I'll be doing the next lesson with it, so you'll be able to hear it. I'm one happy camper ...

Very nice :yeahhh: Is Clancy jealous??

It's AAAA Engleman Spruce soundboard, AAAA Indian Rosewood on back and sides ... I'm not sure what the neck is made of, I'll have to ask him.

I particularly like the traditional Grover tuning pegs ... they're so lightweight and discrete and work beautifully.

I'll take some closeups asap ... I'll do my lesson today and soon you'll hear it. It rings like a bell.

Looks like some High grade Mahogany to me on the neck. Fretboard, bridge and faceplate appears to be Ebony. This is custom built to your specs, right? Seems like I remember you mentioning it a while back. These are all the combinations I would've chosen for myself if I were building a guitar (for myself). The only exception, being in north America, I would've gone with Sitka Spruce due to availability.

They're culling some really, really nice trees for luthier grade lumber up in Canuck. Check google for "Curly Bear Spruce" or "Bear Claw Spruce".

Hey Kirk,

Thanks for sharing the pics and the history. I'm happy for you but jealous too! But at least we'll get to hear her in your upcoming lessons. Got a name for her yet?

Kirk,

Could you tell us more about the Luthier ? How you picked him, and found out about his quality of work. Does he have a internet site? I am sure you may have played a number of different guitars and can judge the feel of the frett board and setup.

Thanks

Eddiez152

Kirk,

I did forget to mention that it is a very nice looking guitar. I truely can't wait to here it in one of your lessons. Be sure to let us know when your ready to play it live

eddiez152