solidwalnut

Some of my stuff...

Well, I hope you find it because it wasn't a dream. I played that guitar a thousand times and it was not a plain slab of walnut. I haven't seen the guy in twenty years or more. His name was Gary Whittaker and we called him "Twirlybird". He turned me on to the blues. My favorite quote is "It's not a Les Paul. It's 'The' Paul".

That is very, very interesting. I had no idea. I'm really going to look around for that now. When I have time, I'm going to check the lespaulforum.com. Let me know if you find out any interesting tid bits.

Steve

"I assume that's the custom shop Strat you've mentioned in the past. Tell us a little more about her features if ya will."

Hey Kevin,

Goldie was given to me by a good friend of mine after he'd suffered a stroke. I offered to buy it, but he'd have none of that.

It has a select alder body, tinted bird's eye maple neck with 6130 fretwork, Floyd trem, gold hardware. It came with two sets of p'ups. The ones that are on it are Custom Shop Texas Specials wound by Abby and signed by her (a piece of Fender history), and the other set, which have never been used, are also CSTP's that are slightly overwound, and also signed by Ybarra. The p'up selector is wired a little different...position 1 is bridge, 2 is bridge and middle, 3 is bridge and neck, 4 is middle and neck, and 5 is neck.

I've sold some of my gear in the past couple of years to pay for my wife's medical expenses, but Goldie's staying for the duration. My oldest boy will get her when I can't treat her right anymore.

She's been real fond of being stroked by a wooden pick a few times a week, but that wooden pick finally broke after a year's use. (hint, hint) I need another one, Kevin.

Well, I hope you find it because it wasn't a dream. I played that guitar a thousand times and it was not a plain slab of walnut. I haven't seen the guy in twenty years or more. His name was Gary Whittaker and we called him "Twirlybird". He turned me on to the blues. My favorite quote is "It's not a Les Paul. It's 'The' Paul".

Hi Kev--

I heard back from a guitar guy that I found on a Les Paul site. He tells me that "The Paul" is an excellent player model, but not much of a collector one because of it's status as a no-frills LP. Worth only $750 to a collector if it's in excellent shape.

That's ok, I'm not done playing it yet!!

I also asked him a follow-up question about Twirlybird's "The Paul" with the intricate carvings. I haven't heard back from him yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

Steve

Kev--

I just heard back from the guy. Here's his comments:

Steve,

Is he mixing it up the "The Les Paul" model? That was a very ornate and very expensive model made between 1975-1979, with Austrian maple, carved rosewood wood knobs and pickguard and binding, abalone fingerboard inlay, etc. I own one of those. There is a big difference between "The Paul" and "The Les Paul" models, but people get them mixed up!

Mike

????

Hi Kev--

I heard back from a guitar guy that I found on a Les Paul site. He tells me that "The Paul" is an excellent player model, but not much of a collector one because of it's status as a no-frills LP. Worth only $750 to a collector if it's in excellent shape.

That's ok, I'm not done playing it yet!!

I also asked him a follow-up question about Twirlybird's "The Paul" with the intricate carvings. I haven't heard back from him yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

Steve

Lemme know what he says. It's possible I may be feeding you a load of hooey. I just remember vividly, that guitar being carved or engraved or embossed or whatever you wanna call it. I have a buddy I can ask who'll remember whenever I run into him again.

One thing that my memory is clear on is that it was a great playing/sounding guitar and was as heavy as a rock.

I really am fond of those Taylor CE models myself. In case you ever have need of a babysitter.

Lemme know what he says. It's possible I may be feeding you a load of hooey. I just remember vividly, that guitar being carved or engraved or embossed or whatever you wanna call it. I have a buddy I can ask who'll remember whenever I run into him again.

Check out the response directly above your last post.

I really am fond of those Taylor CE models myself. In case you ever have need of a babysitter.

I'll let you know if I leave town anytime soon. Hey, it's about time for you to take a vacation to AZ isn't it?? Getting a little nippy in your neck of the woods. You could come and meet the child first and then make up your mind.

Kev--

I just heard back from the guy. Here's his comments:

Steve,

Is he mixing it up the "The Les Paul" model? That was a very ornate and very expensive model made between 1975-1979, with Austrian maple, carved rosewood wood knobs and pickguard and binding, abalone fingerboard inlay, etc. I own one of those. There is a big difference between "The Paul" and "The Les Paul" models, but people get them mixed up!

Mike

????

Nope, definitely wasn't this one:

lp1.jpglp13.jpglp6.jpglp5b.jpglp10.jpglpBack2.jpglp4a.jpg

Probably just losing my marbles. More info at http://player.gibson.com/aug03/lespaul1.html