Marwan

How to color guitar strings

Marwan    0

I saw a thread called pink threads and unfortunately it wasnt what i thought it is :(. And that got me thinking. How would one be able to color/paint his strings without affecting the "feel" of the strings. Ofcourse coloring the strings before placing them. I know this might seem like a non-guitar specific question, but hey im curious. Perhaps anyone has had experience with this. What type of paint wouldnt wear off with sweat and wouldnt change the feel etc..

cheers

John Burr    0

I really like the colored strings, they are fun sometimes. My grandkids got me some for Christmas last year and I liked them fine. You can't really paint them yourself but DR Strings sells some great strings. Their coated strings are really nice, they have a super thin coating that doesn't get fuzzy like the Elixer strings but last just about as long. Because they apply the coating to the actual "Wrap Wire" instead of the finished string is doesn't have that slippery, (deer guts on a doorknob), feel to them. I had been using the DR Extra Life strings on my acoustic with the clear coating for quite a while when I got the cool red ones for Christmas and the last time I ordered some from www.juststrings.com I got a bunch of different colors. The green ones are my favorites.

Like all coated strings the coating will wear down a bit in the most used places on the strings but the strings will typically not sound dead for a couple of weeks even after they start showing some wear. They also don't "Feel" bumpy or fuzzy while the coating is wearing, I would say they feel and sound really comparable to the Daddario EXP strings and they last as long or maybe even a bit longer. Price is comparable to the other coated strings too.

This is about the only choice for colored guitar strings I think with the exception of the "Black Diamond" line and they come only in black. The DR can be had in Blue, Green, Purple, Red, Pink, Black, Silver and Gold. They used to offer a Rainbow Set with several colors packaged together also but I really haven't had an interest in that. Give them a try and see what you think, tell them Blind Snoopy Rhodes sent you!

BSR

BTW, the owner of DR Strings is the son of the guy that started Guild Guitars, not exactly a newcomer to the music industry...

Not sure how well the color would stick but sharpies come in colors now.

http://www.sanfordcorp.com/sanford/consumer/jhtml/newproduct.jhtml

In case you don't know, sharpies are permanent ink markers. If you were to try this, here's how I would do it;

Take a rag, place the end of the string on the rag, press the marker over the string, draw the string through between the rag and the marker. Should be able to get it in 2 swipes.

Wayne

John Burr    0

Gutter, no singles available but they are really high quality strings and I usually end up needing a whole change by the time I break one. The one time I broke one putting it on I had a Blue B string on with the rest of a set of green ones. Not very noticable to me at least. In fact, since the coating is basically a translucent tint, not a thick paint, the color is more for your own enjoyment. It's just not that noticable from a few feet away.

Here's a pic of my Washburn with some Peacock Blue strings on it...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/jburr007/BlindSnoopypic05-23-06.jpg

BSR

Matty22    0
Please forgive me for asking what may seem a stupid question, but why would a guitarist want coloured strings on a guitar anyway?:dunno:

Probably the same reason people need neon lights plastered all over their cars, 21" mag wheels, a pair of 18" subwoofers, that must surely be unbearable inside the car? Wank value, im sure is the only explanation.

Marwan    0

Hehe exactly, the same reason some musicians decide to make a custom design(the look only) for their guitar. I have a les pauls-like electric thats green and black and i figured why not have colored strings next time i buy new strings if there not that expensive comapred to normal strings. At the end of the day, its just a little of fun.

No offense john but i couldnt really tell they was colored maybe the angle or something!But im sure it looks cool peacock blue sounds bright!I play ernie ball beefy slinkys.maybe if i could find some black that thick i might try some.And im not a scientist by any means but would the chemicals from sharpies or anythng like that speed up corrosion by a chance?Lol its all fun and games till somebody gets hurt!Kidding just always wanted to say that.

Lcjones    8
This is a little off-topic, but I play sax as well, and you can now buy flavoured reeds.

Yes, I'd like a package of Chocolate reeds. No. not the mocha. The semi-sweet please. LOL

sorry ....., really I am.... ;)

John Burr    0
No offense john but i couldnt really tell they was colored maybe the angle or something!But im sure it looks cool peacock blue sounds bright!I play ernie ball beefy slinkys.maybe if i could find some black that thick i might try some.And im not a scientist by any means but would the chemicals from sharpies or anythng like that speed up corrosion by a chance?Lol its all fun and games till somebody gets hurt!Kidding just always wanted to say that.

Yep, that's the point Gutter, the colored strings, with the exception of the Black ones, look just like strings from more than a couple of feet away. Seriously, you can't tell the difference unless you look at it up close.

They do make the Black ones up to a about a .13 for the high e, those are an opaque color and thay are noticable, in fact they are hard to see youself unless you have a lot of light on...

As to why, well, why would you want gold colored one or silver colored ones? Why don't they just make all guitars black and shaped like a box? Anything visual about a guitar is just a matter of personal taste and my grandkids think it's cool so i use them on my cheap guitars. They sound and feel exactly the same, cost the same and I like to change things up occasionaly. On my Martin I have the D'add EXPs so it's not like I'm a color addict, it's just not a big deal one way or the other.

BSR

randomaire    0

How about glow in the dark strings? Bet you could see those from a distance.

Glow in the dark pic, paint your fingernails with a glow in the dark paint and woohoo turn out the lights.

krissovo    0

My alpine white LP custom would look soooooooo sexy with black strings on, lads send on the link where I can buy black strings in Europe please!

Pimp my axe baby!

Marwan    0
How about glow in the dark strings? Bet you could see those from a distance.

Glow in the dark pic, paint your fingernails with a glow in the dark paint and woohoo turn out the lights.

That actually should be pretty easy to do, my gf is in visual design so she has alot of weird stuff like that so you can actually put them on the strings, it would wear off with water so you can just try it out for the day then get a rag and wipe it all off. Could be interesting. Speaking of glow in the dark guitars. During the 3 doors down concert, while performinig one of the songs, they turned off all the lights and it was time for the guitar solo. Yep, you guessed it, the guitarists had a mad glow in the dark guitar . :eek: But the glow was emitted from lights so its probably like those small christmas lights or something, nothing painted. But still, was a sight to see. Imo atleast.

coldethyl    0

Coloured strings...........what next?

Skin sensitive brands such as....soft, medium soft, hard, etc maybe?

Where's it all heading?

When you think of the old blues guys like Skip James, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, J.B. Lenoir, etc who just had plain old guitars with old strings on that they couldn't afford to replace so frequently and had to settle for cheap instruments plus deal with the hardships they had at the time, it makes me wonder what they would have made of all this unnecessary technology.

They didn't have all the mod cons with guitars that we have available today, but look at the contribution to music that they gave and even though they probably didn't realise at the time, they still left an indelible mark in the history books.

Just my opinion!

John Burr    0
Coloured strings...........what next?

Skin sensitive brands such as....soft, medium soft, hard, etc maybe?

Where's it all heading?

When you think of the old blues guys like Skip James, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, J.B. Lenoir, etc who just had plain old guitars with old strings on that they couldn't afford to replace so frequently and had to settle for cheap instruments plus deal with the hardships they had at the time, it makes me wonder what they would have made of all this unnecessary technology.

They didn't have all the mod cons with guitars that we have available today, but look at the contribution to music that they gave and even though they probably didn't realise at the time, they still left an indelible mark in the history books.

Just my opinion!

Yep, they played some great music on some really cheap guitars but as they got older and found some cash along with the fame they started playing the "Fancy" Gibson's and so on. No point in romanticizing poverty and hardship in music, it wasn't as much fun as it might sound at first blush. MJH played some pretty expensive guitars with quite a bit of glitz once he could afford them and his music didn't suffer one bit. Technology may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt anything either. It would be pretty hard to sell music that was made with 50's recording technology now days I think and I think a lot of the stars of the Grand Old Opry hit the absolute high end of the glitz spectrum decade before the Glam Rock days. Colored strings seem pretty subdued next to guitars that were sparkled to match your snazzy sequenze suit...

BSR

I was wondering how hard it might be to have Neon Effects glowing from the soundhole of my Martin at the next open mic...

coldethyl    0
Yep, they played some great music on some really cheap guitars but as they got older and found some cash along with the fame they started playing the "Fancy" Gibson's and so on. No point in romanticizing poverty and hardship in music, it wasn't as much fun as it might sound at first blush. MJH played some pretty expensive guitars with quite a bit of glitz once he could afford them and his music didn't suffer one bit. Technology may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt anything either. It would be pretty hard to sell music that was made with 50's recording technology now days I think and I think a lot of the stars of the Grand Old Opry hit the absolute high end of the glitz spectrum decade before the Glam Rock days. Colored strings seem pretty subdued next to guitars that were sparkled to match your snazzy sequenze suit...

BSR

I agree that technology is useful to musicians these days and I avail myself of it too, but coloured strings on guitars, I mean, c'mon that's nothing to do with technology that is useful and even essential nowadays to recording, playing, pedals, and amps etc.

I'm all for a musician to dress according to his image ie. Elvis (rings, sequined outfits),Liberace (with his elaborate costumes and jewellery, etc), heavy metal artists (with their leather, leopard skin leotards etc) Those artists dressed that way because it was expected by their fans.

I still can't see where coloured guitar strings are an essential part of a guitarists gear.

Anyway, I'll drop the subject now otherwise it may offend somebody and I don't want to do that.:winkthumb:

gotcha john i understand why some wanna do that and hey its their personal choice just like buyng that purple gibson.I just hate to pop a sting and have to open a new pack everytme that happens is all .i wouldnt mind having a set of fat black dr's.when they do sell them in individual strings ill prob switch if they play good.

scotty_b    16

Technology may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Technology is great when someone like Tom Morello uses it to push the vocabulary of the guitar into a new direction, and awful when it is used to create a popstar who is all about image and has nothing to do with music.