D-Dawn

Birthday Guitar Gear!

mjwjr    0

Hey D-Dawn -

That is what I paid for the G-Dec and also the cheapest price I could find on the net for a new one. So you did well here. The G-Dec has been been lots of fun. You can get great tones out of the presets and you can turn down the bass and keyboard accompaniment for some nice basic drums to play along with. On the down side - it is not loud enough to hear when playing with other amps 15 watts or more or a live drummer and it is hard to just get a basic clean tone. The rotary knob detents wear out quick so the numbers skip around when you are trying to turn an accompaniment level down, so slow down when you get to 3.1 then turn to 3.0 then it will jump to 2.9, etc. If you go to fast it might shoot anywhere. I say this because I have heard some people have sent them back for repair under the 5 year warranty but waited months to get the amp back. I rather just live with the problem then be without the amp! Despite these issues, it should be an excellant amp for a beginner ! The onboard tuner is great too.He will be rockin in no time!

PS - When played with headphones you get great stereo effects. ( Try Chicago Blues to hear what I mean.)

D-Dawn    0

LoL I love this little amp! I even sound good using it!! Not too loud...not too soft...just right with lots of options to play with. :winkthumb:

Noodler    1
Well I ended up taking that one back and exchanging it for another..exactly the same, just no fret problems with this one :) Sounds a feels quite nice!

Good, that is exactly what I would have done. If it has Fender on the headstock there should be some quality control, no matter where it is made. You shouldn't be able to put a fingernail under there!

I have the GDEC too. One of the best things is the phrase sampler, where you can record some chords and play them back. Not only can you listen to your own playing, but you can practice lead guitar over chord progressions. It's taught me a lot. It's like having a practice partner. A pedal just to do that is worth $400 Australian (the Boss loop station).

If your youngin is a tech wiz, you can hook it up using a MIDI to USB cable and download more tracks from the Fender website, record, and buy MIDI files and load them.

It's also got tons of effects built in such as reverbs, phasers, auto wah, distortion, chorus. A box to do that doesn't come cheap either. You can't beat it for value for money, especially for a beginner, but for anyone to practice, really. It's not a gigging amp though.

Noodler    1

Obviously, for copyright purposes, Fender cannot name some of the amps which are being modelled, but can anyone list them?

eg Blackface is a Fender Twin (I think).

What are British 1, British 2 and British 3, and Tweed?

For instance is one modelled on an Orange or Marshall?

What settings would I use to get closest to the Vox sound I am drooling over (Pathfinder 15R)?

Stratrat    0
Obviously, for copyright purposes, Fender cannot name some of the amps which are being modelled, but can anyone list them?

eg Blackface is a Fender Twin (I think).

What are British 1, British 2 and British 3, and Tweed?

For instance is one modelled on an Orange or Marshall?

What settings would I use to get closest to the Vox sound I am drooling over (Pathfinder 15R)?

I don't own a G-Dec, but I own a Micro Cube and Roland uses somewhat similar designations. Blackface could be any of the fender "Blackface" era amps - a Deluxe Reverb, Pro Reverb, Twin, etc....should be a nice clean sound that breaks up a bit as you crank it. The "British" settings are most likely VOX-ish - AC15, AC30, etc. "Tweed" should model a Fender Tweed series - a little dirtier/hairier than the Blackface. For the Vox sound you're looking for, you should try the "British" models. The Micro Cube also has one called "Classic Stack" which emulates a Marshall.

Noodler    1

Thanks, Stratrat. You've inspired me to look into older Fender amps, so I'll be spending serious time on the Fender and Gearwire sites. :yes:

JessThrasher    10

Congraduations to your son. Just get it set up, it's not going to hurt. And he'll be happier with it too. Also, warn him that intense use of the whammy bar will go out of tune. I learnt that the hard way.

Noodler    1

Yeah, Amen brother. I don't even bother to put the whammy bar on my Strat copy. I'm guessing since you have an 80's style Ibanez, you've got a Floyd-Rose too. Does that stay in tune well? I've got a Bigsby on another guitar and it keeps tune, but yeah, the strat style- forget it. I have heard of some people putting blocks of wood in near the springs (at the back, under the plate) improve it though.

Found this beauty of a site for GDEC owners:

my G-DEC.com - G-DEC and noise

You can find anything you want to know about the GDEC on that site. The mods are extremely helpful. :yeahhh: