D-Dawn

Birthday Guitar Gear!

:eek: Ok so hubby and I finally broke down a bought an electric guitar and amp for our soon to be 14 year old's upcoming birthday :):claping:

Squier® Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Cherry Sunburst)

and a

Fender G-DEC amp

The guitar looks nice, but I know NOTHING about electric guitars...I played around with it a bit and the only thing I can see being a problem is that this morning when i put it on the stand, the high E string caught on one of the frets :( I dunno if this is anything to worry about, or an easy fix or should I trade it in for something else???

I only paid $199 USD for the guitar.

The amp sounds good to my untrained ear...with all of its cool drum effects etc...pretty loud too for in the house...I think we shelled out $269 USD on this...too much? or is it Ok??

I hope we've done ok, but I still have 28 days to return and exchange if we goofed!!

Help?

Thanks!!

JakesAxe.jpg

I just want to be sure this is a decent set up for his first guitar and amp :)

Sounds like it needs a little fret work. It might not be much of an issue, but it's hard to tell from here. :D

It's probably fine. The action is probably most important on a beginner's guitar. It looks good.

Well the action feels just right...in fact I have been playing with it all morning and will have to get it put away before he gets home from school (shhhhh.... :blush: I've never played electric before, but I am finding that it is fun to say the least)

My problem with having fret work done is that this is brand new...i want it to work well..lol..I'm picky that way! Do Squires usually have these types of problems?

Inexpensive guitars usually have mediocre fretwork, at best. It's worth a few bucks to have someone who know how dress the frets, and perhaps check the overall setup.

Cool link fly! thanks :)

We played around with this amp in the store..it was loud enough that his dad is considering getting him headphones for it LoL. i don't mind it loud ;) For $500 he better be a happy camper!!

Do Squires usually have these types of problems?

Squires are notorious for having that problem with fret ends. Some are good and some not so good. It is a relatively easy fix that entails the use of a file and a lot of tape to protect the neck. Ask UGB in the tech forum for details.

When you say caught on the fret, does this mean like a gouge on the fret? Never had this problem, so I'm kind of curious what exactly that meant. Looks good to me though, I'm sure he would love it. And if he doesn't well you alrdy have a fondness for it lol.

Wow wish my first guitar setup was that nice ! He will be one happy camper :)

On many cheaper guitars the frets can be uneven or just rough. Most music stores have a tech who can level the frets, bevel the ends and buff them to perfection. Sounds to me like the ends of your frets just need to be beveled a little.

The string seemed to catch on the very edge (outside) of the fret..like you could stick the end of your fingernail under the edge of the fret...I am hoping this is an easy fix...there are 3 frets that seem to be lifted at the edges like this. (not lifted so much that one could see it lifted, just by the feel ...)

It sure is a pretty guitar and the sound is really nice for the price. I didn't want to pay much more (besides the fact I couldn't afford to and Christmas will be here before we know it!) in case he decides guitar is not for him. Right now it is all he wants tho :)

It is a relatively easy fix that entails the use of a file and a lot of tape to protect the neck. Ask UGB in the tech forum for details.

LoL ok I'm going to go ask!! Thanks again!

Found he had answered this before!

Dressing the end of the frets is a job for a file and some steel wool. Make sure you cover your pickups so the tiny metal shavings and fragments don't get stuck to the magnet poles in your pickups. If I were doing this for the first time, I'd use masking tape to cover the wood on either side of each fret around the edge of the fretboard.

Thanks LC!

Any tidbit of info helps!! I am currently researching what kind of electric I want for myself now..sheesh...they'll say I have GAS soon!

That's a great start for any young player IMHO guys. I doubt you will have any serious regrets from those purchases. Many very expensive guitars have little problems requiring a bit of setup work too. Having said that, if in doubt take your guitar back to the store and show them. They should either change it or have their tech fix it.

Dawn, don't forget to keep a watch on Craigslist if you're looking for a guitar. I find deals pop up all the time here in Orlando. I recently bought off Craigslist a Fender Deluxe 900 amp and Standard Strat in perfectly new condition for $400. I also got my Epiphone Dot and an assortment of pedals off Craigslist.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ga

Dawn do you buy all your children such cool birthday gifts?? If so, I'm available for adoption!! Seriously, from what I hear, the Fender Squier Strats are a great beginner model.

LoL Well I make them wait a long time so that I KNOW they REALLLY want them, but yes...yes I do ;)

My daughter got an acoustic electric..ummm,,,Epiphone PR 6-E and an amp for her

15th birthday in April. (now that she knows her bro is going elctric, she wants one too..lol..it figures!!)

I have one more kid to go, but she wants to play piano....oh man am I in for it then!!!

hrmmm..I don't need anymore kids thanks!! (lol or adults for that matter!!)

Well I ended up taking that one back and exchanging it for another..exactly the same, just no fret problems with this one :) Sounds a feels quite nice!

He is a very happy noisy kid..who I SHOULD have bought headphones for as well as the rest of the gear! LOL he'll learn ;)