r1p32

amps

I have a Vox AD30VT. Some of the amp models are pretty righteous, notably the AC15, AC30, and early Marshall...to my ear. The effects are not all that fantastic. The reverb is OK, but some of the other stuff I never use. The adjustable wattage control is cool, and it'll allow you to get some pretty good tones at bedroom vlolumes.

That being said, if you can afford the extra bucks for a tube amp, they're hard to beat for tone. I don't know that the Blues Jr would cut it with a band without being miked thru a PA, but the HotRod certainly would. Others that I suggest checking out would be the Peavey Classic line or their ValveKings.

That being said, if you can afford the extra bucks for a tube amp, they're hard to beat for tone.

I've been seriously re-thinking my choice.....I was almost sold on the Roland Cube 60, but now I'm leaning toward a Blues Jr. I know it won't have the same versatility, but you can always achieve that with pedals.....and the tube tone is definitely sweet!

Decisions.....decisions......

I've been seriously re-thinking my choice.....I was almost sold on the Roland Cube 60, but now I'm leaning toward a Blues Jr. I know it won't have the same versatility, but you can always achieve that with pedals.....and the tube tone is definitely sweet!

Decisions.....decisions......

I have the cube 30 and it is very good, but i do lean towards the Vox. Just to throw more petrol on the fire Line 6 have released the spider 3 series and the 30 and 50 watt amps have 250 pre-configured artist tones. I tried the 50 this weekend and some of them are great, I went back with my LP to make sure and some of them blew me away. A lot depends on your guitar and when playing I switched to a shop Strat and Tele and the ones that sounded only ok on the LP really sang with the fenders and visa versa.

I must admit i also played the blues jr and that had great tone, but for variety you will have to add a few boss or similar pedals.

I love my Marshall half stack mg series 100hdfx. Its Has all the power that i need to play heavy riffs. Lamb of God, slayer, all that heavy stuff. But then again thats what i like. Im also a Fan Of Randall. They make a pretty solid amp. Oncee again tho, It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'll be picking up a VOX AD30VT myself in a couple weeks- looking forward to making plenty of noise.

The AD30VT seems to be plenty loud. I seldom turn the wattage up past halfway. Being a tube/ss combo, it has decent tone if ya fool around with it. Mine doesn't seem to care for pedals, but has plenty of on-board effects...they just are very mediocre to my ear.

I've noticed that as you change amp models, the higher gain models are much louder than some of the lower gain models.

A fun little amp...and for under $300 it's hard to beat for playing at home or low volume band practice. I'd still look at some low wattage tube amps, though, unless you're in a hurry to buy SOMETHING. As mentioned earlier, the Peavey Valveking is a nice sounding rig...50 watts, 2 channels, 6L6 tubes, switchable from Class A to Class AB, 12 inch speaker...for less than $500. I love the Blues Jr, and have owned one, but I think the Peavey is a better deal both soundwise and moneywise. Just my opinion.

...I must admit i also played the blues jr and that had great tone, but for variety you will have to add a few boss or similar pedals.

I pulled the trigger on a Blues Jr. last night. Played around with it for a half-hour or so in the store and really liked the tone, even with the master volume cranked down to bedroom levels...and the louder you turn it, the better it sounds! I cranked the volume and master up to about 6 (very briefly), and it sounds like it has plenty of volume for my needs.

r1p32 - The Blues Jr. probably wouldn't suit what you're looking for - it's got great tone and would definitely cover the volume ranges you need, but not near enough distortion for metal. You'd definitely needs some pedals in front of it to get that sound.

Krissovo - I know what you mean about the pedals.....I already have a Boss OD-3 and a Danelectro Chorus, and will be acquiring more as I sort my sound and figure out exactly what others I want. I haven't even played the pedals through it yet, still just digging the pure tube tones!

well dudes i went back to guitar center and i tried the amps again. i was unimpressed with almost everyone of them. then i played that crate again. long story short i am now the proud owner of a new crate amp. man i love it so much, the sabbath tones are amazing, the cleans are awesome. and the solo setting is so heavy and amazing. wow...thx again for ur helps dudes i love my new amp!

Congratulations, I am glad you made up your own mind in the end. It is not nice giving people advice and then hearing that they are not happy with the result.

Again Congratulations, may she give you years of happy twanging. :thumbup:

well im i think i might be leaning more and more toward the vox. now im wondering, which would be better the 50 or the 30 watt? i do plan to jam with a band and i will be willing to save up.

i just bought the vox vt20+ yesterday max watts is thirty i turned the watts down to about 5 and with the pre programed tones this thing has some serious dist the metallica and green day sound is very good and very loud it is not possible to play the 30 watts max volume in the house without getting evicted this thing is exellent would definatley recomend it :punk: