r1p32

amps

its been a while since i asked this before, and i have done some research since. i will be purchasing a new amp very very soon and im wondering if anyone has any suggestions. i hear that tube amps overall have a better sound. but i will be doing a lot of bed room practice, but i will also be jamming with friends and a band. im looking for something with great distortion, as i will be playing mostly metal. im looking for a heavy, chunky sound, similar to metallica. but i want something with great cleans because i'll be playing some red hot chili peppers.

the vox valvetronix advt series sounds good. im sure the feature that lowers the wattage will come in handy for bedroom practice. after playing it tho, the cleans were great, but the distortion seemed a bit weak.

and i've also heard a lot of great things about line 6. but if im not mistaken, those 2 arent tube amps. wat tube amps can u guys suggest? thx a lot in advance! :rockon:

The Vox is good, the wattage feature is a master class and for bedroom playing wind that down with the main volume on full and you will get some serious distortion. Line 6 is good aswell, I take it you mean the Spider series????? They are very loud but still a good amp for the price, the tone is not quite up to the Vox in my opinion.

You should also check out the Roland Cube series, I have the 30 and again there is some great tones and the what I think is the best "Clean" on a amp of that price. Its loud enough for jamming away with band and should get past most drums.

Any of those 3 and you would not go far wrong really.

R1p32,

I must urge you to have a look at the possibilities and patches available to you on the Vox you know I told you a while back that the OD and distortion could be a little weak, but... If ou customise the sounds just a little and play around with the modeled stomp boxes in the unit you should see that the distortion is not really that weak. ( I realised this after downloading a couple of patches for my Tonelab SE...) I should start experimenting more with the sounds of the unit I have as well.

But all in all the ADVT is mainly built for blues, as it was basically designed from the AC30 amp. (that is if I am not mistaken sorely...)

I've got my heart set on the VOX Valvetronix 30 watt myself. I've played the Line 6 Spyder amps as well and they are good also, but I just like that VOX a bit more (plus it has the cool chrome grille on it).

well i should be more clear, i'll actually be playing more classic rock than metal, tho im looking for a metallica tone. rite now im playing stuff like black sabbath, red hot chili peppers which use mostly cleans, metallica, megadeth and some older ozzy stuff.

as of now im not really on a much of budget because i now have a job and im willing to save up. but at the same time i dont wanna spend too much lol. thx for the respones!!!!

Harmony Central has a ton of amp reviews - although I often wonder if some of the really bad ones come from competitors!

I'm kinda in the same boat, and have been considering the Roland Cube 60. I have the MicroCube and really like the different sounds I can get out of it, but I don't think it'll be loud enough to play over drums when I start jamming with a friend of mine. The 60 would definitely do the trick. I keep wondering if I'll be missing anything by not buying a tube amp (have never owned one), but I'm just not sure if I want to go that route.

i've been trying to read some reviews of both the vox valvetronix and the roland cube 60. wat i've gathered so far is that the vox might be the better amp for everything except metal. i've heard peoples samples of they're playing some metallica and i dont like the sounds it makes. but since the vox might have better features. maybe a distortion pedal can help?

marshall amps rule.tube amps

marshall has quite a reputation, i'll definietly have to give them a try. i've heard a lot of not so good reviews for the MG series tho, so i'll definietly be wary of that. i'll most likely be paying guitar center a visit around next week. they wouldnt mind if i brought my own guitar to try out the amps would they?

Absolutely take your guitar in to try out amps. This way you know what they sound like together before you buy. If the amp doesn't have the distortion you want ask to try a pedal with it.

The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has a great clean tone. The 212 version has better distortion than the smaller one. At 60 watts it's probably not wife/parent friendly.

As UGB says a s/s amp may be your best choice.

A good tube amp for bedroom levels would be a Fender blues junior. It will give you a superb tone while practicing at home. It's not too expensive either. Keep in mind that the more gadgets an amp haves "effects,tuners etc" probably the lower quality in the tone you are going to get.

If you want good effects and good tone I would recommend the fender blues junior maybe with a Line 6 POD. That will get you going.

Cheers :)

A good tube amp for bedroom levels would be a Fender blues junior. It will give you a superb tone while practicing at home. It's not too expensive either. Keep in mind that the more gadgets an amp haves "effects,tuners etc" probably the lower quality in the tone you are going to get.

If you want good effects and good tone I would recommend the fender blues junior maybe with a Line 6 POD. That will get you going.

Cheers :)

I had to get an atenuater for my blues junior. No way I could crank it without rattling my ears. Tube amps are loud.

2 words:

MESA BOOGIE

Do they do a mid range amp that is any good? I know spending over a grand or even more will buy you a great amp but in the lower price range I dont know.

well im i think i might be leaning more and more toward the vox. now im wondering, which would be better the 50 or the 30 watt? i do plan to jam with a band and i will be willing to save up.

well im i think i might be leaning more and more toward the vox. now im wondering, which would be better the 50 or the 30 watt? i do plan to jam with a band and i will be willing to save up.

With amps, you basically get what you pay for. So if you're willing to spend the money for a 50 watt, go for it. But if not, the 30 is a quality substitute.

Just make sure the 50watt has the attenuator in and you are good to go... Otherwise you wont be able to get good tone at bedroom levels. Also make sure you get the amp with a celestion speaker... The speaker makes a world of difference to the tone and the volume... The VOX blues speakers are great but not the same as the Celestions...

The 30watt amp should be good to jam with friends as well... 30Watts is good enough to blow your hair into any style you wish. I played the AC30 and the amp seemed louder than my Marshall 50Watt...

well i just played my friends marshall and i loved the crisp tone i got from it. so now im considering marshall a little bit more. but i got my first paycheck (ever), but i decided im gonna save up a bit more so i can put the budget up to a $500 limit. so i'll let u guys know on wat i decide

well i tried some amps out at guitar center, and i came to some conclusions:

the vox...ehh it didnt do it for me, i thought i could do better

marshall, they only had the mg series which after playing i wasnt too crazy about.

line 6 spider, i thought it sounded great, great distortion, cleans were good.

but the one i really liked was a crate.

the distortion was crisp, clear, and the cleans were the best i think that i tried. that left a lasting impression on me. and it wasnt too much about $250 i think. so around next week i'll be returning with a more experienced friend to see if i should make the final purchase.

it was only 250...and ill prolly have around 400 or something. do u think i shouldnt settle for something that low, like ballard said, im getting wat im paying for.

you do get what you pay for. try marshall tube amps. ive got the tsl601 jcm 2000 60 watt marshall amp a single 12 speaker. it will peel the paint off the walls it is so loud. it has 3 chanales clean ,crunch,and lead. very versital. it can play overdrivin tones at lower volumes with enough power to play any small gig. but it will power any 4x12 cab for bigger gigs. go with tube amps i think you will be pleasenty suprised at the difference. the tube will be louder per watt then a solidstate with warmer tones. terry