marinoFret

How long have you been playing guitar?

How long have you been playing guitar?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long have you been playing guitar?

• less than a month
    • less then a half year
    • 1 year
    • 2-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11-15 years
    • more than 15 years
    • other (please specify)

jhoita    0

I played in a band - "Delphi Revue." back in the 60s. Recorded for Dominion Records.

Never took lessons until now at this site.

Haven't played in 38 years. Just came back into music more seriously in July of 2006.

Stopped searching for - 'who knows what I've been looking for" - since I've become a member here.

Not trying to play like anyone in particular or trying to squeeze into any "box" of music style right now. Just getting all this supressed music and tunes out of me and into the world so I can work with where I am with "music" now.

regards

jhoita

I have played a 5-string banjo since 1970 but always wanted to try guitar. I picked it up last December and fell in love with it. I play fingerstyle with picks (like a banjo) because it feels & sounds right to me.

Stratrat    0

I started playing when I was around 9 years old - never took any lessons, just learned some chords and noodled around with friends until I was about 18. I set it aside for over 25 years until I started playing again last month.

whatever year guns and roses came out.i seen slash and i thought wow thats what i wanna do.all had was a acoustic fender my uncles wifes dead brother gave me when i was 11.but i played for a few years in a band in school then stopped for a bit when i went in army,then back again.so gnr came out in 84?i think.wow im old.ty for this thread!

coldethyl    0

I was around 16 when I took up the guitar, but it was a kind of hot and cold love affair with the instrument until around '89/90 when I got into it more seriously.:)

I just started about a week before my birthday (sep 15). A friend left his electric acoustic at my house and I goofed off with it... alot. So when my cumpleanos came up he gave me one of his old acoustics, I cleaned it up, bought new strings for it, and put them on wrong. Is steve dan a weird name for a guitar...

papadog65    0

Some people here have had an early start in music. So did I. I played trombone in a bunch of small bands just around the end of the Swing era. Learned guitar on my own when I was about 17. All the music sort of went away after wife, 2 kids and a job, but still noodled around with a few cowboy songs over the years. Finally started serious lessons about 5 years ago, and learned some jazz and blues progressions with a few slumps in between. Looking forward now to learning more of the fretboard and doing some improv.

Uhm, nearly 1,5 years now.

HISTORICALLY it'd be closer to 5 years, but at the age of 13 my motorical problems were still too tough for me to be able to learn to play, so I just clinked around doing nothing... at 15 I received my first acoustic, still didn't start to play for real, I just made noise O.o

at 17 I bought my own first electric, this is April 2005. Now the problem was motivation! Being in a deep depression at the time I could hardly do anything. As soon as something went wrong even just a little bit I just gave up... I had just dropped off school too, to start over. By May 2005 I decided I wanted to go to the musical study line... and so I was motivated to start playing. By Christmas I had grown musically and self-confident enough to know I wasn't satisfied with neither tone, shape, design or playability of my first guitar... and now I'm here with my Jackson. :winkthumb:

Oops, I got a little carried away, easily done when thinking about memories. :P

SteveG    0

Got half decent at my third attempt to learn about 25 years back. Joined a band and practiced hours a day for a couple of years, then went back to college and sort of lost momentum. Always had a guitar around so never really stopped playing, but stopped learning, my best pieces are still stuff I learned back in the 80's. Started teaching my stepsons 6 yrs back which got some of my chops back, now teaching my 9yr old daughter and 6yr old boy, so getting back into it.

cshude    0

Started playing back in college- sophomore year, I guess- about 15 years ago. I've played steadily since then, but I would go through phases where I wouldn't play more than a few minutes per week for months at a time- then pick it up, hit another plateau, etc. I've been playing pretty steadily and improving in the past few years, though. This site has been an inspiration to keep improving.

mikelyn    0

I put down less than a month in the poll but could have put ten years 'cause I consigned the guitar to the attic 10 years ago after giving up. Grandson got one for Christmas and challenged me to learn with him. this time I (we) are getting somewhere, in three weeks we have 5 cords off to pat and can follow the simpler numbers finger picking. All this is down to the encouragement we read on this site.

Thanks folks.

knight46    2

Started on violin in 4th grade back in mid 50's and progressed into guitar in late 50's. I have picked it up and put it down for over 40 years and never understood that the setup on a guitar made it difficult to play, I always thought that it was me. Maybe now I can get serious, all I have to do now is choose between an acoustic and an electric.