Stratrat

My guitars

Stratrat    0

Okay, I finally dug out the digital and snapped a pic to upload. The guitars are (from left to right):

- Fender Standard Strat (HSS)

- Jasmine/Takamine S-35 acoustic (satin finish)

- Avila "Pro I" 12-string (I've had this guitar for over 25 yrs.)

- Unknown brand, well-worn, MIJ Les Paul copy (over 25 yrs. also)

- Squier Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde

The Strat, Tele and Jasmine are getting all the action right now. The 12-string still has 25-year old strings on it, and is missing one of the g-strings. The LP copy is in serious need of some TLC and repair work (nut replacement, setup, re-stringing, etc.), and I'm not sure that the repair work wouldn't cost more than what the guitar is worth!

2793.attach

EFinFLA    0
The LP copy is in serious need of some TLC and repair work (nut replacement, setup, re-stringing, etc.), and I'm not sure that the repair work wouldn't cost more than what the guitar is worth!

That doesn't sound so serious. Nut replacement on a LP is so easy I even managed it. Re-stringing you can handle, so that just leaves set-up. There are a lot of websites that will help you get "close", enough to where you can get that fiddle back into action!:winkthumb:

Stratrat    0
That doesn't sound so serious. Nut replacement on a LP is so easy I even managed it. Re-stringing you can handle, so that just leaves set-up. There are a lot of websites that will help you get "close", enough to where you can get that fiddle back into action!:winkthumb:

Thanks, EF - I may use it as my "guinea pig" guitar for learning how to do setup, etc. :) It took the brunt of my adolescent thrashing back in my "garage band" days and is pretty banged-up, so I wouldn't feel nearly as bad about experimenting on it as I would on my brand-new Strat or Tele! I think the input jack needs re-wiring too, so it would be a good 'project guitar' - might even upgrade the pups and some other stuff along the way if it proves to still be playable.

The Jasmine/Tak was kind of a cool deal - I was looking for an inexpensive acoustic that I could take camping, travelling, etc. - I played several of the low-end Fenders, Yamahas, etc. but really liked the way the Jasmine played and sounded, and dug the satin finish. GC was having their Labor Day sale, and as I was standing there noodling with it, the sales guy told me that the guitar cost a penny if you bought 10 sets of strings. Sold!

Stratrat    0
Stratrat, wasn't there a thread somewhere about your blue one? Wasn't it a partscaster?

Noodler - yep on both counts. The thread is here. It was a great project, and yielded a guitar which I thoroughly enjoy and treasure.

Stratrat    0

Thanks. That old LP copy is long gone, sold it in a garage sale not long after the original post (which was in 2006!). The collection has expanded greatly since then, I'll have to snap a photo when I get a chance.

stevec71    0

Nice guitars, big fan of Takamine but i tend to lean towards Ovation for gigging as i love the rich sound through a big system, saying that tho i use Takamine as a back up