- - - - -

What's the Hardest thing about playing guitar?

176 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the hardest thing about playing guitar? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?

1. Staying it in tune? (11 votes [2.25%])

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

2. Keeping time? (82 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

3. Making your fingers obey? (180 votes [36.89%])

Percentage of vote: 36.89%

4. Getting the strings to ring properly? (46 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

5. Understanding how music works? (95 votes [19.47%])

Percentage of vote: 19.47%

6. Playing chords? (22 votes [4.51%])

Percentage of vote: 4.51%

7. Playing single note melody lines? (19 votes [3.89%])

Percentage of vote: 3.89%

8. Strumming? (33 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

jailbird said:

i have had lots of hardest problems since starting 9 months ago.
I couldn't play bar chords - now i can
I couldn't remember chord positions - now i can
couldn't play power chords - now i've got them.

however a whole new bunch of problems have arisen,

strum patterns, palm muting, improvisation, bottleneck, pull-offs.
I'm looking forward to nailing them all

Excellent, jailbird. Keep crackin' at it. It's all about reaching a series of goals. It's all about the journey. You'll keep reaching plateaus and returning to

playing barre chords better
playing and remembering chord positions better
playing power chords better
a massive amount of strum patterns to learn
better palm muting and chord hand muting, etc.

It's a great big circle.

But it sounds like you're having fun with it.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#162 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

Reaching out and trying new things? Or achieving some sort of perfection?
Kirk I am still waiting for the final answer. Will you post it before I'm 61 ?
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#163 OFFLINE   Aunt Doty

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,577 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

eddiez, I think he's forgotten this thread. You think????
Music is a universal language!

#164 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,009 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:34 AM

I think so, Aunt Doty.
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#165 OFFLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

The hardest thing about playing guitar is telling yourself, I am going to learn how to play the guitar and stick with it:helpsmili

#166 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:56 AM

Hardest thing about playing guitar (once you learn the basics). Is structuring a plan for your developement and sticking to it.

Without the will power to stay the course you find yourself slipping into a comfort zone of what you do well. The things you don't do well, will never get any better by avoiding them. I'm a victim of such.

I need to get around to finding an instructor to get me to go where I'm least comfortable, to get me into a practice routine that will get me out of a rut. At the point of being able to play the guitar, to play music but not make music, to amuse myself but not play with others. Time to step out on that ledge.

Mike

#167 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,243 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hey, Edward. Yes, I had forgotten about this poll!

I would say after all these years that it's just getting those fingers to keep obeying the ridiculous demands we put on them. Daily playing is the only way to come close to achieving that. But, that's just my opinion. :dunno:

#168 OFFLINE   Beholder

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 07

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

fingeraches!!! :(:(

#169 OFFLINE   strobeone

Newcomer

• Active Members

• 6 posts
  • Joined 09-December 07

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:26 AM

I voted for playing chords...I'm betting that was #1 the first time. It's an unnatural position for the hand. However, after a while, it really becomes a lot easier. I originally thought maybe the old ringing strings, but that quickly goes away with some practice.

#170 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

One of the hardest things for me these days is putting it down to do other things, I'm in my element when I'm noodling on the guitar everything else becomes secondary.:guitarguy:
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#171 OFFLINE   raybaro

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 20-May 06

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:37 AM

I wish I knew a lot more theory, I know how to read notes and play but I suck when it comes to theory. If I knew more theory I would be a better player :(.
Reggetton sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

#172 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

raybaro said:

I wish I knew a lot more theory, I know how to read notes and play but I suck when it comes to theory. If I knew more theory I would be a better player :(.

Music theory like any other subject can be learned. Like any other subject it is difficult for some, less difficult for others. As well, there are many levels of depth. From the basic what makes a chord major or minor to areas I can't even begin to comprehend.

There are plenty of resources on the internet for basic theory, enough for you to understand chord progressions, chord inversions, chord substitutions, and soloing and such. Not sure what you are looking for from learning theory though, but this is what most guitarists look to theory for.

Michael

#173 OFFLINE   raybaro

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 20-May 06

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Mike8307 said:

Music theory like any other subject can be learned. Like any other subject it is difficult for some, less difficult for others. As well, there are many levels of depth. From the basic what makes a chord major or minor to areas I can't even begin to comprehend.

There are plenty of resources on the internet for basic theory, enough for you to understand chord progressions, chord inversions, chord substitutions, and soloing and such. Not sure what you are looking for from learning theory though, but this is what most guitarists look to theory for.

Michael

Thank you Mike, do you of any specific places that are not fill with a bunch of spam. Also most places sell products and I really don't want to pay.
Reggetton sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

#174 OFFLINE   GT

• Active Members
  • 577 posts
  • Joined 16-August 06

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

Maybe the harde thing for a guitarist could be:

#1 - Develope and create distinctive guitar playing and tone.

#2 - Start to create your own music and expose it.

For me, its one of this 2 subjects....:yes:

#175 OFFLINE   ricardooon

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 26-December 07

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

I voted for keeping in time. I have been playing for literally three weeks now and knocking out little tunes. The finger thing is tough but so far I expected that. Every time I really try to make something work in time everything I have just been just been patiently learning goes to poo.

I think over time the finger part will become the hardest through as I am hoping with practice of playing enough music timing just becomes a given (I hope!).

Looking forward to fun times ahead!

#176 OFFLINE   Mike8307

• Active Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 07-May 06

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

raybaro said:

Thank you Mike, do you of any specific places that are not fill with a bunch of spam. Also most places sell products and I really don't want to pay.

This site is one place. The members lessons from Fretsource and Solidwalnut have some theory in there. Kirk always tosses in a bit of theory in each lesson.

There are other sites as well, I certainly do not know all of them.
Guitar Noise - Free Online Guitar Lessons is a fine site plenty of lessons by David Hodge who always throws in a bit of theory and there is an entire forum section on Theory.

Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net is a site I just found.. doesn't look like a spam and pop-up circus.

Music Theory for Guitar - overview Olav Torvund has spent a lot of time developing this site. Yes, he looks to sell books and such, but you have to remember that sites like these cost money to run. No pop-ups or spam.

Keep looking.. its out there

Michael

#177 OFFLINE   doug russell

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,222 posts
  • Joined 04-February 06

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

I've just developed crepitus in my right thumb. So that is the hardest thing about playing guitar at the moment. It's worse when I'm playing a 12 barre progression, sort of burning sensation and takes about 2 minutes to recover. Good job there is another guitarist to carry me now and again.
Now when I talk to God he said he'd understand, Stick by me I'll be your guiding hand. But don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer you want me to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users