Kirk Lorange

What's the Hardest thing about playing guitar?

What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?

• Staying it in tune?
    • Keeping time?
    • Making your fingers obey?
    • Getting the strings to ring properly?
    • Understanding how music works?
    • Playing chords?
    • Playing single note melody lines?
    • Strumming?

Getting any part of my body to obey my mind outside of normal activity is always a challenge, so in all actuality, I find it all difficult. I bet if I weren't so lazy I'd find everything a little easier by now. :brickwall:

At least Falkon your honest. I run a guitar and jam club, and some of the beginners whom attend cant comprehend why they are not progressing. they get 1 and a half hours tutoring a week, but if they are not doing any practice at home, the lessons are a waste of time.

PRACTICE.PRACTICE.PRACTICE! No one key for progressing on guitar.

Falkon    0

Thanks for the encouragement Doug. I over think things too much, I think if figure it out intellectually first, I know what I should do when the time comes (ie... procrastinator!). But yeah, I am going to get off my lazy behind and walk the walk.

By the way, this is the best forum for this subject matter I've found! You guys rock!! (very punny, I know...) :smilinguitar:

GT    0

Oh yea Doug, that´s right. I cant remember the name of a guitarist that once said to a guy who was asking him to teach him to play guitar.....He said: "NO...... cause you dont have what it takes to play guitar"

The other guy was in shok:eek: . He told this guitarrist "why not? my hands are too small? My guitar sux? please tell me!!..."

And this guy said to him:

IT IS SIMPLE......YOU DONT HAVE THE TIME.

THERE ARE TONS OF GUYS WHO PLAYS THE GUITAR BUT ONLY A FEW OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY GUITARISTS;)

GT    0
Nothing's hard if you're having fun. At least for me.

aaa....ejem.....lets see.... Less than a year....:whistling

Wait and see. I think its too early for you to say that.....but its ok if you beliebe it.

Nothing's hard if you're having fun. At least for me.

Nice attitude felixdcat; :claping: When you play from the heart, you are getting there. But you will still hit a wall. Hit a few of them, get over em, and your on the right track. GT really wants you to prove him wrong. Go for it.:claping::winkthumb:

JessThrasher    10
Lack of parental support! Yes my parents don't like me spending so much time with it.

My parents acually don't quite mind it. Even my dad plays abit. Except he hates my heavy metal. He's kinda afraid to play because he's worried about ending up like his daughter lol!

jailbird    0

i have had lots of hardest problems since starting 9 months ago.

I couldn't play bar chords - now i can

I couldn't remember chord positions - now i can

couldn't play power chords - now i've got them.

however a whole new bunch of problems have arisen,

strum patterns, palm muting, improvisation, bottleneck, pull-offs.

I'm looking forward to nailing them all

solidwalnut    5
i have had lots of hardest problems since starting 9 months ago.

I couldn't play bar chords - now i can

I couldn't remember chord positions - now i can

couldn't play power chords - now i've got them.

however a whole new bunch of problems have arisen,

strum patterns, palm muting, improvisation, bottleneck, pull-offs.

I'm looking forward to nailing them all

Excellent, jailbird. Keep crackin' at it. It's all about reaching a series of goals. It's all about the journey. You'll keep reaching plateaus and returning to

playing barre chords better

playing and remembering chord positions better

playing power chords better

a massive amount of strum patterns to learn

better palm muting and chord hand muting, etc.

It's a great big circle.

But it sounds like you're having fun with it.

Steve

eddiez152    127

Reaching out and trying new things? Or achieving some sort of perfection?

Kirk I am still waiting for the final answer. Will you post it before I'm 61 ?

Mike8307    0

Hardest thing about playing guitar (once you learn the basics). Is structuring a plan for your developement and sticking to it.

Without the will power to stay the course you find yourself slipping into a comfort zone of what you do well. The things you don't do well, will never get any better by avoiding them. I'm a victim of such.

I need to get around to finding an instructor to get me to go where I'm least comfortable, to get me into a practice routine that will get me out of a rut. At the point of being able to play the guitar, to play music but not make music, to amuse myself but not play with others. Time to step out on that ledge.

Mike

Kirk Lorange    123

Hey, Edward. Yes, I had forgotten about this poll!

I would say after all these years that it's just getting those fingers to keep obeying the ridiculous demands we put on them. Daily playing is the only way to come close to achieving that. But, that's just my opinion. :dunno:

strobeone    0

I voted for playing chords...I'm betting that was #1 the first time. It's an unnatural position for the hand. However, after a while, it really becomes a lot easier. I originally thought maybe the old ringing strings, but that quickly goes away with some practice.

starsailor    20

One of the hardest things for me these days is putting it down to do other things, I'm in my element when I'm noodling on the guitar everything else becomes secondary.:guitarguy:

raybaro    0

I wish I knew a lot more theory, I know how to read notes and play but I suck when it comes to theory. If I knew more theory I would be a better player :(.

Mike8307    0
I wish I knew a lot more theory, I know how to read notes and play but I suck when it comes to theory. If I knew more theory I would be a better player :(.

Music theory like any other subject can be learned. Like any other subject it is difficult for some, less difficult for others. As well, there are many levels of depth. From the basic what makes a chord major or minor to areas I can't even begin to comprehend.

There are plenty of resources on the internet for basic theory, enough for you to understand chord progressions, chord inversions, chord substitutions, and soloing and such. Not sure what you are looking for from learning theory though, but this is what most guitarists look to theory for.

Michael

raybaro    0
Music theory like any other subject can be learned. Like any other subject it is difficult for some, less difficult for others. As well, there are many levels of depth. From the basic what makes a chord major or minor to areas I can't even begin to comprehend.

There are plenty of resources on the internet for basic theory, enough for you to understand chord progressions, chord inversions, chord substitutions, and soloing and such. Not sure what you are looking for from learning theory though, but this is what most guitarists look to theory for.

Michael

Thank you Mike, do you of any specific places that are not fill with a bunch of spam. Also most places sell products and I really don't want to pay.

GT    0

Maybe the harde thing for a guitarist could be:

#1 - Develope and create distinctive guitar playing and tone.

#2 - Start to create your own music and expose it.

For me, its one of this 2 subjects....:yes:

ricardooon    0

I voted for keeping in time. I have been playing for literally three weeks now and knocking out little tunes. The finger thing is tough but so far I expected that. Every time I really try to make something work in time everything I have just been just been patiently learning goes to poo.

I think over time the finger part will become the hardest through as I am hoping with practice of playing enough music timing just becomes a given (I hope!).

Looking forward to fun times ahead!