Kirk Lorange

What's the Hardest thing about playing guitar?

What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?

• Staying it in tune?
    • Keeping time?
    • Making your fingers obey?
    • Getting the strings to ring properly?
    • Understanding how music works?
    • Playing chords?
    • Playing single note melody lines?
    • Strumming?

si16    10

Dakster, one of Neilsonite's lessons discusses strumming and that it is one of the most common problems when people start out. Click here to read more and to practise his recommended exercises.

dakster    0

I have been using these lessons by Nelsonite regular, and they have helped thats for sure, i can play two songs now ( simple songs ) that people recognize, without me needing to tell them the name of the song first.

I am very happy with this as i just started, and using Nelsonites lesson's has helped me with this, no doubt, but reading through the forum i see the problem im having is a common one with beginners, so im not alone, and through practise and lesson's like Nelsonite's, i will quickly (hopefully anyway) get through this enemy of the beginner.

The great thing about this forum, is that for every problem i encounter, there is an answer somewhere within the forum. This is probably why im not as active on the forum as i thought i would be, if im stuck i just use the search function or delve deeper into the forum's and presto, there's my answer. As any problem a beginner has, someone else has had it previous, and someone within the forum has helped or explained it for them. Like i said great place, and great people, thanks again.:)

mcknett    1

Actually, I think the hardest thing is finding enough time to practice (If it were up to me, I'd only put it down for meals...that is if the i.v. wasn't working, of course)

Jim    0
I posted this question years ago in a poll on the early GfB&B site ... there was one answer that was the overwhelming winner. I'll let you know when the results come if it's the same now.

I looked through all the pages, but I didn't see Kirk ever answer what the previous winner was (or was that only going to happen if it's the same now.. - I'd kinda like to know anyway).

To be honest, I first had guitar lessons in 1967 and I can't remember what was the hardest thing for me when first starting out. I do remember that my teacher didn't want to show me barre chords until I had mastered all the open chords, and F was such a tough one! To this day, I will always play the barre version of F because, 40 years later, I still can't do a decent open F! :oops:

For me, the toughest thing is getting my two hands coordinated when picking (as distinct from strumming) and trying to fret out a solo line. Most of my guitar playing was Folk based, and 95% of it was strumming only. Now that's I've become obsessed with Blues (at the ripe old age of 53) I find my picking hand to be the weaker of the two, and getting good, clean alternate picking going while fingering a blues solo with my fretting hand is my current obstacle. I'm getting better at it little by little, but I do wish my love of the Blues had come at an earlier age!

So, I picked (no pun intended) the answer about Making your fingers obey.

Jim

D-Dawn    0

Here too...but more than just strumming is picking up strumming patterns for myself rather than having them written out for me....if I'm shown how to or told "dd/uud" etc. I have no problems with it. Thats why I fingerpick! LOL ok...I'll go work on my strumming....sigh....:crying2:

fly135    5

Keeping time kills me. It's hard to know how bad you are at it until you try to play along with someone else, or a backing track, or multitrack record yourself. While getting my fingers to obey is a problem, you can always play something simpler. But there's no getting away from keeping tempo.

Donovan    0

Yes, flamenco is one the most technically demanding guitar styles. At times it's almost like shredding without the masking effect of distortion and without the ease of alternate picking with a flatpick.

Can someone see how exactly he is picking the fast single string runs (3:32+)? Is he using just the index and middle? Or is he using the ring finger as well? I've grown more fond of using just my fingers since I've been on these boards and am looking for a way to simulate the "tremolo picking" thing one can do using a flatpick (among other things such as palm-muting)

mrhev    0

I find keeping time to be a challenge but I never knew it could be so hard to play rhythm. So chose strumming.

David

I find at times my fingers have a mind of there own when it comes to certain fingerpicking pieces with some chords, brain knows what im wanting to play but fingers decide to go the wrong way lol, guess it will come with practise :)

mochachoc    0
Hey PickNGrin

I wouldn't worry too much about the body movements (unless they interfere with your playing). You've got to let the music move you - right? I've seen some pretty spastic movements from guitar players but if the performer is being natural then it doesn't seem to detract from the performance. The only habit that I DO find distracting is the "mouth hanging open and the eyes staring off into space somewhere". Kind of like a lobotomy patient. I've never seen a professional do this - only beginners and intermediates. I do it myself sometimes but usually catch myself before I start looking like a complete zombie.

Anybody else have any pet peeves as to what constitutes "goofy looking" guitar playing habits?

:D thats so funny i know exactly what u mean. I may be wrong but i'm sure i've seen a few clips of Jimi Hendrix doing the lobotomy move. I didn't find it goofy quite the reverse.

Now I've actually found that it varies. Some times I find keeping time very easy, some times it's strumming, sometimes it's something else... I'm not sure WHY this is, but I'll try to find out. ;)

eddiez152    129

I believe one of the hardest things in playing is just plain letting go of the string when you want to make chord changes quickly.

eddiez152