Kirk Lorange

What's the Hardest thing about playing guitar?

What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?

• Staying it in tune?
    • Keeping time?
    • Making your fingers obey?
    • Getting the strings to ring properly?
    • Understanding how music works?
    • Playing chords?
    • Playing single note melody lines?
    • Strumming?

many that live desirve death. and some that die deserve life. can you give it to them? Then do not be so eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. JRR Tolken

I sometimes find difficulty with proper finger placement with chords when changing from one chord to another.

ie. when I go from Em to A, my finger placement on the A major chord ends up like this:

middle finger on E, index finger on A, ring finger on C#

which still works for me BUT.......

apparently the correct positioning is supposed to be this:

index on E, middle on A, and ring on C#

There's not really such a thing is chord placement. Depending on what direction your going in, how many fingers you need for what the proceeding lick or progression will be, what part of the chord you're doing, what form of the chord you're doing, the size of your hands, whether you're barring or not... There are so many variables that it's almost impossible for anyone to tell you what the "correct" finger placement for a chord will be.

You might just have blessedly small, flexible hands, or monstrously huge ones like me. If it works and it works well, I say do it buddy.

There's not really such a thing is chord placement.

Maybe you misunderstood me.:unsure:

What I meant was the finger placement (not chord placement) when playing a chord. When you go to a guitar teacher they show you the standard practice for where exactly your fingers should be placed to play a chord, eg C major.

Well, if it helps you to learn the chords, by all means stick with it. However,

When I say chord placement I really mean finger placement. Maybe if you're playing open chords (ie, right up by the nut) your finger placement would be a bit more restricted, but once you get out of there, everything changes. Even by the nut, though, there are variations that you'll get into in the near future. Take the D major chord, for example. I think the first one I saw demonstrated went open D, 1A, 2D, and my third finger on the major third. But my hands are big enough that I can bar my fifth and my major third with my index finger and leave two fingers free for whatever I might need them for, or bar them with my middle finger if I want to inject some dissonance with my index. Or, I can bar my A with one finger and mute the high E string with it. Do you follow me?

And also, when you get out of that strict and formic spot (my guitar teacher likes to call it the "Room with three walls") and get your barring finger a little stronger your chords will go with much more fluidity, as you can change your finger placements as the direction of the song requires.

Anyway, this is just something to digest. I don't want you to get the impression that the finger placements you're learning are wrong, just that they can vary.

Thanks gravitas!:)

I guess I'm probably making more out of it than necessary because it doesn't really interfere with my playing too much, it's just I felt that I had developed a bad habit.

My father used to say to me "why worry if there's nothing to worry about" and I guess that's what I do sometimes.

hey gravitas

dont forget not to play with cats in the bathtub and dont ever try to take food from a badger lol

i feel that chord changing as a newbie is very hard, i keep looking on sites and i have a program ive paid for and its good so im not complaining at all

i do have a ? though , everywhere i look and go im told to arch the fingers and keep my thumb on the back of the neck ( in the middle some where ) well i find this really makes it difficult and hurts alot

so should i not worry so much about where my thumb is and enjoy the changes i can do or should i concentrate on keeping my thumb where it should be so later on i can reach what i aim for, im noticing that the more i learn the more i need to reach and streach ,its been said " i do not want to learn bad habbits "

i hope this doesnt sound stupid but its hard for me with small hands to keep my thumb on the back and play , seems to be really hard on my wrist and slows me down alot

anyways thanks in advance

joe

umm....u dont really HAVE to do it that way....do wutever is most comfortable to you right now but make sure all the strings ring out like they are supposed to so that ur sure ur not gettin any unnecessary sounds.although u dunt have to listen to ur program,there are some instances when the way they said to play is necessary...such asssssssss...while picking some songs u got give ur fingers extra height so they wont mute the other strings and such.

but since ur a beginner just do wutever feels comfy to u at the moment and all will come to you in time.

I find chords to be the most frustrating thing of all. I'm kind of a skinny guy with pretty fast fingers and don't have much of a problem picking notes on a fretboard at a pretty good clip. But I just feel like I'm all thumbs when it comes to getting my fingers into position to play just one chord, never mind switching position to play yet another one. Matter of fact, I tend to avoid songs that have a lot of chords in them and try to concentrate on ones that are heavy on picking.

I was expecting that:rolleyes: Ok.."people"..just remember back to the time when you finally get a few cool tunes together, like when Stairway to Heaven was "IT" ...when ya finally nailed it soup to nuts, just for an example. Then came, "can ya play that?"...do ya know this song?, how bout that one?Or being put on the spot at every social gathering you attend where there may be a band present..."oh, he plays guitar, you should let him play something with you guys"...sounds kinda silly, but that's what I found most difficult, dealing with "peer pressure" might be a better term.

Ok Ok Ok...hmmm..."the hardest thing about playing guitar"....in search of Kirks overwhelming answer..;) ...hmmm...I'd have to say the callouses on my fingers:thumbup1:

Seriously now, I'd have to say it was strumming, yup. Fretting hand always seemed to catch on quickly...spaz attacks on the strumming ala zero syncronization:D

sooner or later folks want to play solo without looking at tab or musical notation,

in other words playing complete pieces from memory alone.

to achieve this you have to memorise where all the notes on each chord and between the chords are, not the name of each one but the sound produced.

this learning curve is achieved with your ears not your fingers, therefore i believe the guitar is best learnt by listening, and the manual dexterity comes with practice, anyone agree. cheers

Musically timing is crucial but I think what puts people off guitar right at the start is the basic physical function of getting fingers from spot A to spot B in some semblance of order and not taking two minutes to get each finger in place for the next chord! I think we have all been there!:oops::D

yep i agree highway, at the end of the day, the guitar is a lifetimes study, and the most popular musical instrument in the world, but you really have to love it and want to do it, or folks dont stay the course cos its a vast study.

ive got two at the minute and im addicted to them cheers

I've just started playing, and i would say the two hardest thing's for me, are strumming patterns and remembering the notes when playing fingering picking pieces's here on the site.

I can jump to chords with relative ease, and hold them down no problem (i have strong hands maybe this has helped), i thinks this has been a nice suprise for me, and has helped me progress fairly quickly, but keeping a strumming pattern going or recognizing them is another matter, but i know that will come with practise.

Like i said about memorising fingerpicking ones, this is hard, i can play a couple through looking at the tab, but without it, i lose where i am quickly, more praccy i think.

Just out of intrest, can some of you guys and gals memorise notes on tab with ease, or does it always take relentless practise ?

Just out of intrest, can some of you guys and gals memorise notes on tab with ease, or does it always take relentless practise ?

Relentless practise, but it does get better. :)