Kirk Lorange

What's the Hardest thing about playing guitar?

What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's the hardest thing about playing guitar?

• Staying it in tune?
    • Keeping time?
    • Making your fingers obey?
    • Getting the strings to ring properly?
    • Understanding how music works?
    • Playing chords?
    • Playing single note melody lines?
    • Strumming?

tg    0

I find the worst problem is that I practice for hours but cant remember what Iv`e learnt without the dots. Probably age !!!

Clancy    36
for newbies like me,,,, the hardest thing in playing the guitar is strumming..

i really hav difficulty strumming the string....

Divina, if you're having trouble with strumming, you might find this lesson helpful.

Cheers

Clancy

PickNGrin    0

The truth is --it's different for different people. I dont recall ever having trouble with strumming or keeping time...But there was a time when I just could'nt imagine playing barre chords.

Most learners that I've helped really struggle to keep the beat -'specially when changing chords.

lemonwolf2    0

Get a metronome and use it. The foot tapping has to be a secondary thing because you're right - you can't concentrate on 2 things at the same time. Keep working at it and before you know it your foot will be thumping out the beat and you won't even be aware of it. I find that my foot just automatically taps out the beat but if I get to a section of the song that requires that I focus heavily on something else I find that often my foot stops tapping and then starts up again when that part of the tune is behind me and that works just fine too (for me anyway). The metronome is an indispensible tool though - it's a pain to get used to but the rewards are tremendous. Hope this helps you on your journey. Good luck lemonwolf2

divina_1208    0

thanks clancy,,,, your such a great help and also to neilsonite:)... and also to this site...

now i can strum a little bit,, i mean i can now even play, but not the whole song of "leaving on the jetplane (by: John Denver)":) m/

again, thank you so much:)

Clancy    36

Divina, I'm very happy for you. Neilsonite's strumming lessons ARE great... So glad you are now finding your way around the site and that it's helping you along on your guitar playing journey :)

Clancy

lemonwolf2    0
I agree with the foot tapping comment above -geez --my WHOLE BODY moves to the rythem, sometimes it's pretty goofy looking.:D

Hey PickNGrin

I wouldn't worry too much about the body movements (unless they interfere with your playing). You've got to let the music move you - right? I've seen some pretty spastic movements from guitar players but if the performer is being natural then it doesn't seem to detract from the performance. The only habit that I DO find distracting is the "mouth hanging open and the eyes staring off into space somewhere". Kind of like a lobotomy patient. I've never seen a professional do this - only beginners and intermediates. I do it myself sometimes but usually catch myself before I start looking like a complete zombie.

Anybody else have any pet peeves as to what constitutes "goofy looking" guitar playing habits?

lemonwolf2    0

I keep the guitar tucked away in a little cubbyhole near the sofa so every time I sit down to watch a little mindlesss TV I pick it up and pluck away. Sometime that amounts to 10 min a day, sometimes it I'm there for hours and occasionally I don't get there at all. Although I don't have a structured practice routine I usually get to pick up the guitar on a daily basis.

Jason    0
That's what this site is for, seagull, to keep you motivated ...:)

You know of what you speak Kirk. This site continues to renew my love for playing with every lesson I learn and all the great stuff other members post.

I especially enjoy the recording booth and music lounge.

:thumbup1:

allthumbs    8
I think that it is learning to read talature with all the different letters in if you are a newbie like me , can anyone help and tell me what the letters mean please?

Kirk has posted lessons on tab reading. Check out the read me first directory at the top of the page. It should be in there.

jasoncohen    0

i think the hardest thing about playing guitar for when you are first starting out is your finger dexterity and being coordinated and in sync with the right and left hands.

Jean    0
i think the hardest thing about playing guitar for when you are first starting out is your finger dexterity and being coordinated and in sync with the right and left hands.

Very true at first for a beginner, but over time the two hands seem to be one.:)

WernHalen    0

I must change my vote on the issue... I believe that in my case it is concentration. I have difficulty playing small fills between chord changes. Especially when the fills i want to do are a distanceu por down the neck... I have created a couple of excersises for myself to try to fix this. I will let you know how this goes.

I must say that it is getting better, even just with two days of intense practise...

RockaBilly    0

I've managed a lots of problems you guys listed since I've played for years but my problem is personal. In '83 I got t-boned at an intersection and ended up with a spinal injury so I'm on disability. Because of that I make mistakes while playing my guitar but I will not put down the guitar. The only way you're going to take away the guitar is to pry it from my cold dead fingers. :)

Now let's pick a riff!

nagukush    0

I personaly feel , keeping timing is difficult for me. When i start a song, i take-off nicely and in the midlle it gets kind of irregular, and comes to a stable rythym in the end.:)

allthumbs    8
I personaly feel , keeping timing is difficult for me. When i start a song, i take-off nicely and in the midlle it gets kind of irregular, and comes to a stable rythym in the end.:)

Keep practicing, tap your foot to the rythmn. Focus on the part where you lose the beat. It will come. Give yourself time to improve, it is not going to happen over night.