tyler_crocker@hotmail.com

Buying my first electric guitar...

What would be a good electric guitar for a beginner, in the $200-300 U.S. range? From what I've read, that should be enough for a first guitar.

I have looked at many online, but I'm still having a hard time deciding what one to choose. There are 4 that I've been looking at: Squier Standard Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Ibanez GSA60, & Ibanez GRX40. The reviews for all these have been pretty decent, and many people recommend them for beginners.

I know that the decision must be made by me since I will be playing it, but I just want to get a few opinions of these or something else that may be suitable for me.

Also, what are your thoughts on these amps? Roland Micro Cube & Line 6 Spider II 15 Watt

Thanks for helping.

I am partial to fender or gibson products myself, and I would guess you're looking for an electric guitar from the ones you named.

Actually the ad on this site for Nineveh has some lower priced guitars and amps. I've never bought from them or anything so I couldn't tell you the quality, but they looked decent to me.

http://www.ninevehguitars.com/servlet/Categories?category=Electric+Guitars

I am partial to fender or gibson products myself, and I would guess you're looking for an electric guitar from the ones you named.

Actually the ad on this site for Nineveh has some lower priced guitars and amps. I've never bought from them or anything so I couldn't tell you the quality, but they looked decent to me.

http://www.ninevehguitars.com/servlet/Categories?category=Electric+Guitars

That's our own Ultimate Garage Bands, store. That means you get a very close inpection of the guitar for quality and also a top notch set up.

Hi Tyler

I'll give you my thoughts on the guitars you mentioned, I have owned a Pacifica 112 - nice feel and great quality for the money. Unfortunately, I found it rather clinical and staid in the way it sounded, it didn't quite rock somehow.:dunno:

I now have a cheapy Affinity Squier Strat - its the other way round on this one, It definitely feels less classy to the touch, but has real character when amplified, really more lively if you get me.

:punk:

As for Ibanez I have never found a left handed model to try so I won't comment, which is a shame cause I 've heard lotsa good things....

Did not know that AT, looked like some pretty good guitars at an affordable price also, looking for an acoustic, but most I see are large sums of money, these don't run that high on the price list.

That black Cort on the Nineveh site looks pretty cool for $199. Plus you get the expert setup which is pretty important for a new player (or any player).

I can't really comment on the guitars except to say that I have a Squier Affinity Telecaster, and really like it. The Squiers have gotten mixed reviews and it sounds like the quality control may be a bit spotty, so maybe I just got a good one - it plays sweet and I haven't found any quality issues with it.

As far as amps go, I originally ordered a Line 6 Spider II 15 amp from Musician's Friend - but the amp was broken when it arrived, so I never got to play with it.

The Roland MicroCube is a great little practice amp, IMO. Just bought one a week ago, and am really enjoying it. You can play it at barely audible levels, or crank it up loud enough to annoy your family and immediate neighbors if the mood strikes you. It sounds good, has a variety of amp models for different sounds, and the built-in effects are fun to play with. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and I think it'd be pretty hard to beat it in it's price range.

These are the two that I think I'm going to decide between.

I am thinking of ordering it online. Ibanez GSA60 will cost $260 (cdn). Ibanez AX120 will cost $280 (cdn) (clearance special). This includes taxes & shipping.

The Ibanez AX120 is discontinued. I did notice that on many other sites it was listed between $250-400 US. The main reason I'm thinking of getting this one is because I think I would be getting a better deal.

AX120

AX neck

Maple Neck Material

Mahogany Body

22/Large frets

Bound Rosewood Finger Board

Fixed bridge

IBZ AH3 (H) Neck PU

IBZ AH4 (H) Bridge PU

Pearl Dot Inlay

CH : Hardware Color

GSA60