Eric

Ranking the lessons

Well unfortunately in this case the rankings won't be coming from the teacher, so we are trying to find better way of showing the level of each lesson.

Maybe (as mattz196 suggested) a select group of members going through the lessons and giving the rankings might be the way to go... or even just one experienced person... Want to volunteer Justapicker? :)

Clancy

Id be happy to help out with that Clancy if i can... But having only really mastered the first waltzing matilda lesson, and one basic picking pattern, my skill level would be somewhat of an extreme beginner...

But perhaps if i can figure a lesson out to a relative standard (say a few blunders, but generally pretty close) in a couple of hours then it would be classed as a beginners peice, if i cant, then it would be better suited to the person at the Intermediate stage, to go through and, if it takes an advanced picker 2 weeks to figure it out then its not for the faint of heart.

Having a set group of people would be beneficial too i think, because then the other viewers would get to thinking "ok so, matty thinks thats easy, well the last lesson he thought was easy i managed, so i should manage this". It gives a consistant person to compare to.....

That was probably a complete was of bandwidth there, but i tried to help;)

Hmmm,

Seems things are getting over analyzed and overthunk. I've never been accused of being able to do either. :) So as my old boss would say, give the job to the laziest fella, he'll fine the easiest way to get it done. ;)

Ranking Lessons ... Users "Rate" lessons based on a scale of "1 to 5". Obviously, 1 being the easiest and 5, the most difficult. Have an option for user to Rate Lesson at the end of the lesson ...... Not a vote, not a poll, a "rating".

In vBB, a Rate Thread option is already available, however, the wording would not be correct. If this option could be changed specifically in the Lesson's Forum, to "Rate The Lesson" and given appropriate verbiage, then that would work just fine.

Now, some users may think a particular lesson is either more or less difficult. The premise being, that over time an average will ultimately be found. And I think that would work well. However, this could be skewed, as any rating or ranking system can be, if for example a more experienced user/player clicks though what could be consensually considered a "intermediate lesson" and deems it easier that it actually is. I'm pretty sure no one has the time to be the "Lessons Police", so it would have to be an honor system .....no matter which system is created.

And having caused mnyself to thunk about this, I now have a headache..... ack...I need an asburn. ;)

Well unfortunately in this case the rankings won't be coming from the teacher, so we are trying to find better way of showing the level of each lesson.

Maybe (as mattz196 suggested) a select group of members going through the lessons and giving the rankings might be the way to go... or even just one experienced person... Want to volunteer Justapicker? :)

Clancy

I really wish I had the time! As it is, finding time to eat can be difficult some days....

Isn't it true that unless you are a complete beginner (say less than 3 months) you can pretty much see from the video or by trying a few bars whether you are going to be able to tackle a lesson or not? Therefore Beginner and Beyond would be enough. So if Matty wants to start a 'Matty thinks this one is OK for beginners - and he says he himself is a beginner, that would help the true beginners, and everyone else (eg not absolute beginners and up) would at least get an idea of the possibilities that lie ahead even if they are not yet at that level, and start to get a guitar 'education' on the way?

And besides, if there's a lesson with a tune that you really love but it's beyond your current level, you can learn heaps from really struggling with it even if it takes weeks, because you have the committment to it.

Justapicker may have it down pretty close. Just before I read that post I was thinking about things like: 1 - How complex is the fingering of a chord (can I do that, or how long would it take to learn); 2 - How easy (or difficult) is it for someone to change from one chord to another ("easy" vs "hard" chords); 3 - the relative impossibility of "seeing" where melody notes fall within a series of chords (learning them by rote?); 4 - add double stops or more to #3; then add rhythmic patterns and syncopation?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head about this.