Hi Clancy,

I thought you might want to consider using number of posts rather than posts within the last 24 hours for the new posts section. For example, the last rolling 100 posts might be a good way to provide more messages. When the 24hr clock ticks for you locally, the posts are wiped out for the new day. Being that this is an international site, the counter based on time would probably be better if it was based on number of posts instead. The posts are wiped at all sorts of times in each zone.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The way it works (by default) is that if you're not logged in (or you're a guest), the link in the nav bar shows "Today's Posts" instead of "New Posts" and will give you posts from the last 24 hours... If you are a member and have logged in the link changes to "New Posts" - that being the posts you haven't read since the last time you logged into the forum. I can see why the forum default is set up that way, but I agree with what you are saying. It would be better to be able to see the last (however many) posts.

There is a way to do this already although it's certainly not obvious. Just click on the link Guitar For Beginners & Beyond Statistics - Top 10 (it's just below the nav bar on the forum home page) and you'll be taken to a page with the last 100 posts (plus all the other info). I know this isn't ideal, so I'll look into putting a link on the nav bar with the last (say 100 posts). I just have to figure out how to do it :) - but I will do it.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one. Keep them comin'

Cheers

Clancy

Hi Clancy,

I found that link to stats you mentioned. That's not too bad really. It was what I was looking for. It even let me bring up the last 200 messages with a little dialog box asking how many n per page. Thanks for the tip. A link to this would be nice too.

Jim

Jim,

I've made a new link up in the nav bar "Latest Posts" - I couldn't find a solution for the last "whatever number" of posts (believe it or not it's not as simple as it sounds)... so I've just added it so it lists posts from the last week... also, if you want to just see today's posts, just click on the "Quick Links" link and you'll see a link for "Today's Posts" plus a bunch of shortcuts for navigating your way around the forum.

Cheers

Clancy

Thanks Clancy,

I'll check it out and thanks for looking into it! :)

Jim

My pleasure Jim. Let me know if you have any other suggestions that you think will improve the forum... and that goes for anyone else here too. All suggestions are welcome.

Clancy

Jim,

Just wanted to update this thread. I've removed the "latest posts" link from the nav bar as it no longer seemed necessary as the forum is active enough now that the "new posts" link now seems to be sufficient.

The main reason I changed this is because I needed a bit more room in the nav bar to put other links. The new one there is "Member Locations" - this goes to the Guitar For Beginners and Beyond Googlemap page. I've also added a "Forum Home" link and I've moved the calendar link so that it is now part of the page footer nav bar.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know why that link disappeared.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Clancy