malcolm mcwhirter

your 1st guitar

:guitardude: What was the 1st guitar you ever bought:guitardude:

mines was a Eko Ranger it weight a ton armed with about 5 open chords i played songs at a church youth group was not all bad there was a guy with a Kay guitar:oops: in fairiness he knew 6 chords:winkthumb:

munky    0

19984.jpg

Epiphone LP Special II

It was terrible. Wouldn't stay in tune for anything, sounded like crap, was made of cardboard, the pickups sounded exactly the same, I could go on forever.

Andy S    9

First guitar I bought was a '69 Strat Sunberst (spelling changed to keep the balloon popper from coming out!). Rose wood neck. Bought that since I was a Hendrix fan at the time. Had to have a Strat.

First electric I had was a Greco semi-hollowbody. Not a bad starter guitar. Sold that to somebody, can't remember who....hmm, age thing, they say that's the first thing that goes....the memory, then the next thing is....???? :unsure:

Dobro    0

My first guitar was a Sears Silvertone acoustic that had been in our attic for years...I found it snooping around up there one day when I was a kid. I then got a no name electric next at my folk's expense, then a Kramer Striker as a gift from a friend, then a Univox LP Custom as a gift from a girlfriend (this is over a span of about 6+ years). I played the Univox for quite some, and my first outlay for a guitar wasn't until I was on my own and found an old SG in a pawn shop in Pensacola, FL.

Stratrat    0

My first guitar was a no-brand classical that my uncle bought for me at a swap meet when I was about 9 years old. The first guitar *I* actually bought was a no-brand MIC Strat copy when I was about 16. Played it for a couple of years, then destroyed it in the process of trying to extensively mod it when I didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing.

cshude    0

First guitar I bought was a Samick dreadnought acoustic, quickly followed by a Squier Strat electric. I still have both- the acoustic is down south with my brother-in-law who is learning on it, and I still use the electric.

Misty2u    0

Still have it (well, haven't been playing long :))...........some no-name classical with really high action that almost cut my fingers in half going higher than the fifth fret :isaynothing:. Can't get rid of it though......sentimental value (after all.........it got me started on my journey) :leadguitar:

mjwjr    0

My first guitar was a Penco - it is actually my sister's and at the time, 27 years ago, i would play it like it was mine. I talked her into bringing to summer vacation this year and man did it play nice. After doing a little research - i found out that Penco was made by Hoshino ( MIJ ) - the early Ibanez people I believe - and that it had developed a rep for being a very good Gibson copy. Unfortunately - I could not talk my sister into selling - even though it will probably go unused until next summer. It has nice sort of has a round baseball bat type of neck and great tone.

Here is a factoid from vintageguitar.com about the brand:

Penco made Martin and Gibson style acoustics with laminate woods rather than solid, bolt neck copies of Les Pauls, Rickenbacker 4001 basses, Strat/Tele copies, and the odd mandolin and banjo. The Penco brand was made circa 1974 to about 1978, relatively high quality, and part of the "copy guitar/lawsuit guitar" craze of the 70's. The Penco brand may often be mistaken for the real thing, especially by drunks who hang out at bars.

Man, I miss that guitar!

Matt_11    0

About five years ago i received a Yamaha eg 112 from my parents for christmas, then i purchased a Godin Freeway classic which I adore. I just bought a Epiphone DR-100 acoustic a few months ago.

My first was an Eagle Burnout SWD, lovely guitar.

Nice tone, WONDERFUL playability, high quality, etc. I didn't use it for long though, 'cause I found the tone not to be really what I was looking for.

Cost me about $340, amp and all included.

2678.attach

fkarcha    0

My first guitar I bought (not played) is a Tanglewood TW115-ST. A solid top acoustic guitar. Very beautiful, and sounds amazing to my untrained ear.

Of course I went and dropped it on my coffee table and it is in for repairs. :(

allthumbs    8
My first guitar I bought (not played) is a Tanglewood TW115-ST. A solid top acoustic guitar. Very beautiful, and sounds amazing to my untrained ear.

Of course I went and dropped it on my coffee table and it is in for repairs. :(

Ouch. Tanglewoods are nice guitars in their price range.

PhilUSAFRet    0

About 12 years ago, got a wild hair, bought a Goya (Korean Martin 000 copy) Grand Concert 6 string. Nice low action, nice slight V neck, easy to play, sounds amazing for a guitar in this price range. Tried to play and gave up after a few weeks. I am finally learning how and have been taking lessons for 9 weeks now.

Leon72    0

Just bought my first guitar today, that expalins why I am here. :mrgreen:

Bought an Ibanez AEF30ETBK. I like it so far. Have to buy an amp for it next, not sure which one to buy, still a rookie. :smilinguitar:

justinthyme    3

Mine was a Cort acoustic, as I recall - don't remember the model. Took it back 'cos it didn't have any fretboard markers, which for me was a bit like being in the Gobi without a compass!

Oh, I had one when I was a kid at boarding school, but a senior boy basically smashed it up before I could get to play it, so that doesn't count :eek:

Ballard    0
She's a beaut!

Mhmm, sure is. I love that she's very responsive to the touch. I can play her softly and get a very smooth, gentle sound, or I can strum a little harder and rock out.

My first was an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric AEF37E. It's a beautiful instrument and sounds wonderful.

229568.jpg

That is a great sounding and looking guitar Ibanez make some great stuff I have an old Ibanez super chorus pedal that sounds better than most up to date chorus pedals.

The think that amazes me about peoples 1st guitars is what you can effort my 1st guitar was about 50 bucks as a student I could barley afford to cloth and feed myself

changed days now

Ballard    0
That is a great sounding and looking guitar Ibanez make some great stuff I have an old Ibanez super chorus pedal that sounds better than most up to date chorus pedals.

The think that amazes me about peoples 1st guitars is what you can effort my 1st guitar was about 50 bucks as a student I could barley afford to cloth and feed myself

changed days now

Well, I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for it, so I guess I'm spoiled. I'm currently looking to spend a very pretty penny on an electric setup, however, and it looks like I'll have to pay for that myself.