kev374

Takamine vs Taylor

kev374    0

I played a 614ce at GC and that thing just blew me away, what an awesome guitar!! Unfortunately, it's just way too expensive at almost $3000. The 414ce is something that I'm looking at but I'm wondering how Takamine in the same price range compares? Any opinions?

coldethyl    0

I've played on Taks! But I've never tried a Taylor. From what I've heard though, I'd say the Taylors have the edge on Takamine's. But hey, that's just my opinion!

WernHalen    0

I ahve played on a Taylor but never on a Takamine. As far as I know the Takamines are less expensive, but that should not mean that they have any shotage of tone. If you are looking for good tone, it is better to pick both guitars up and play them.

A buddy of mine plays a Taylor and I dislike the tone when I compare it to my A&L which is about 60% off the price of the Taylor.

Getting an instrument with good tone is all about luck, the higher the price of the guitar the less lucky you have to be... :winkthumb:

cshude    0

I've played both- I don't think there's any question that in most cases, you'd go with the Taylor if you have the dough. The Takamine is less expensive that comparable Taylors, so if you are looking at guitars costing the same, you'll be looking at high-end Taks vs. low-end Taylors. As with all things, what you like is subjective. If you're looking at spending a fair bit (up too $1200 or so) you would be well-served to look at some other brands that are out there as well (such as Larrivee- great sounding guitar for the money).

Good luck on making your choice, and have fun doing it!

If you are involved in such brands as takamine and taylor, you really don't have to ask about "which is the better". None is, the Taylors are more "respectable" than takamine, or how I should put it, but Takamine guitars are IMO quite lovely. Note that taylor actually can claim extra pay just for the name, Takamines aren't really that big.. (at least that's the case around here).

But my advice is that you try them both out, you might prefer the Takamine from the Taylor, or the opposite... even if the difference in price would be enormous.

bluesguy    0

Do the A-B playing test. Take a friend who plays and appreciates your playing. Then play something you know well. As you are playing think about - how does it sound? how easy is it to play? how does it feel? Repeat with the second guitar.

Ask you friend to listen carefully and tell you which one had better tone. Have you friend do the exact same thing with a song he/she knows well.

You should be able to pick out the guitar you really like this way.

All things being equal (price, playability, tone) the Taylor will hold is resale value better than a Takamine. That has more to do with the name than anything else.

Finally I have a Takamine EAN-15C which I really love. I tried out Taylors and Martins and in the end decided on the Takamine. For the price I was willing to pay it was the better guitar - for me.

kev374    0

Thanks for the responses guys. I've actually played the Takamine and like them but I just feel something special for the Taylor. But the guitar that really made an impression on me is the 614ce, when I played that guitar I knew it was a standard APART from other guitars in that shop, even the expensive Martins. It had incredible tone, the projection was fantastic and it felt just awesome to play...I just couldn't put that guitar down. I've done some research and I've found out that many others feel the same way about this particular model.

I haven't played the 4 or 5 series Taylors since my local GC doesn't have them. I'm trying to locate a shop here in Orange County that carries the full line of Taylors to check the 4 and 5 series out.

cshude    0

Another thing to think about is the string age. Before you drop a good chunk of dough, it may be a good idea to ask the store to restring the guitar. I've noticed that dead strings are pretty much standard in the stores since you have many people playing the instruments over what may be a long time. Guitars sound so different with new strings that once you get down to a couple you really like, if you can compare them with new strings, then you can get a better comparison.

lorispencer    0

I have a takamine EAN 15C and love it. Info here. Great tone and bright enough to cut through a band. when i need an acoustic in the set, I use my ovation limited edition for pop or rock but use the Tak for country and latin jazz.

I also have one of the original Takamine Martin lawsuite guitars that i purchased new in the early 70s. i had a new pickup put in that a couple of years ago, still goes stong although i have gotten spoiled by the flat necks of todays acoustics

Stratrat    0
.....But the guitar that really made an impression on me is the 614ce, when I played that guitar I knew it was a standard APART from other guitars in that shop, even the expensive Martins. It had incredible tone, the projection was fantastic and it felt just awesome to play...I just couldn't put that guitar down.

Man, it sounds like you've found your guitar!!! If I picked up an axe that spoke to me like that and it was within my price range, I wouldn't even look any further. :guitardude:

Edit: Oops - just re-read your original post and saw that it's NOT within your price range!

kev374    0

Finally got to try the 514ce and was very impressed, its closer to the feel of the 614 than the 414 in my opinion. GC told me that they are discontinuing it so its marked down for clearance. Think this is what I'm going to go with.

John Burr    0

Actually if you watch CMT, Country Music Television, Takamine is EVERYWHERE! I mean it used to all Gibson with a smattering of Ovation and some other stuff. Now days a LOT of folks are playing Takamine on TV. Even if they are giving them away to big name stars they wouldn't be playing them if they didn't work well. I hear so much good stuff about the Cool Tube now days and a lot of the locals have Taks on the stages around here too. I have a Takamine, my first guitar and I like it fine but I recently bought a Martin and for me that was the sound I wanted. I tried it against a Taylor and liked the Martin Sound better. Not way better but better none the less.

That's why they make so many nice guitars. We all want something different. I'm really glad you found what you wanted and Taylor makes some really nice guitars...

BSR

solidwalnut    5
I played a 614ce at GC and that thing just blew me away, what an awesome guitar!! Unfortunately, it's just way too expensive at almost $3000. The 414ce is something that I'm looking at but I'm wondering how Takamine in the same price range compares? Any opinions?

kev374--

I am most definitely biased. I've owned a 714ce since 1999. I have never picked up a guitar that spoke to me like that one.

But that doesn't matter. You can't go wrong with choosing any guitar that sounds great to you. One thing to consider is the intonation. Check how the true the guitar sounds when you play triads up the neck. One thing to check is for buzzing at the 11th through the 14th frets. This is where traditionally created guitars buzz because of how the neck joins the body. The technology of creating guitars has changed, and Taylor guitars has what they call the NT neck technology. The neck joins the body differently on all Taylors made after 2000(?), and that is definitely not an issue any more.

And as someone said, ask for new strings to be put on the guitar before you decide to buy. Taylors have Elixir strings put on them from the factory, and Elixirs last a long time. Different people wear out strings faster than other. You can bet there've been alot of acidy hands and fingers on that thing! To me, there's nothing like a fresh pair of strings!

There are other technical things you could check, but for the most part, you gotta be in love with how the guitar sounds to you. I know that money is an issue, and maybe you have to 'settle'. But Tak's are wonderful guitars, too.

Steve

737blues    0

Something else I've learned the hard way with acoustics particularly. Regardless of the age of the strings ask for a tuning meter and make sure the guitar is up to concert pitch. Often guitars in shops are in 'relative' tune but at something lower than concert pitch. When you get the new guitar home and tune it up properly, that's when you find out that beautiful soft action it had in the shop is gone! Maybe a setup job will fix it, maybe not. Either way, best to find out before you buy it.

P.S. if you are one of those few individuals blessed with perfect pitch, disregard the above :guitardude:

lorispencer    0
Something else I've learned the hard way with acoustics particularly. Regardless of the age of the strings ask for a tuning meter and make sure the guitar is up to concert pitch. Often guitars in shops are in 'relative' tune but at something lower than concert pitch. When you get the new guitar home and tune it up properly, that's when you find out that beautiful soft action it had in the shop is gone! Maybe a setup job will fix it, maybe not. Either way, best to find out before you buy it.

P.S. if you are one of those few individuals blessed with perfect pitch, disregard the above :guitardude:

very good point and one often overlooked

D-Dawn    0

Why do they do this?? My local shop has lots of nice stuff, but it seems everytime I go in there to play around (possibly buy) all their guitars are way out of tune....I think they've probably missed out on some new player sales because of this. It doesn't take that long to tune a guitar...:huh:

bkeeble    0

Don't shop for a price!

Shop for a guitar you love and find a way to finance it. If you can, get a good guitarist to help you make your selection.

Don't buy from GC because they don't take very good care of their instruments and damn sure won't take care of you once you leave the store.

I got my Taylor 712CE from a small store which really knows how to sell to sophisticated customers. They leave you alone unless you want advice.

I paid a bunch for my guitar but it's the guitar of my dreams. I absolutely adore it. And, I'm becoming a much better player because of the rewards I get from playing a user friendly instrument. This instrument will last me the rest of my life.

-burton

solidwalnut    5
Don't shop for a price!

Shop for a guitar you love and find a way to finance it. If you can, get a good guitarist to help you make your selection...I paid a bunch for my guitar but it's the guitar of my dreams. I absolutely adore it. And, I'm becoming a much better player because of the rewards I get from playing a user friendly instrument. This instrument will last me the rest of my life.

Hear. hear!!:clap:

kev374    0
kev374--

I am most definitely biased. I've owned a 714ce since 1999. I have never picked up a guitar that spoke to me like that one.

I played the 714ce too and it is a very fine guitar too...but I somehow prefer the sound of the Cedar top. Generally I love playing Taylor guitars A LOT, not sure why I can't get the same feeling from any of the Martins even though the Martins are "supposed" to be the reference standard :confused:

The other guitar I absolutely fell in love with was a $4500 Gibson..can't recall the model, I'll check it up next time, it was far out, it was so damn easy and "smooth" to play it was like my fingers were just effortlessly gliding along the fretboard...but that is clearly out of my price range by a long shot unless I win the lottery :P

The Ovation roundbacks were not too bad too, but they pose a problem when I play alternating bass with a thumbpick due to the lack of a soundhole and the strings being very close to the body sometimes I noticed my pick would hit the top!

In any case I think my mind is set on the 514ce.

bkeeble    0
I played the 714ce too and it is a very fine guitar too...but I somehow prefer the sound of the Cedar top. Generally I love playing Taylor guitars A LOT, not sure why I can't get the same feeling from any of the Martins even though the Martins are "supposed" to be the reference standard :confused:

The other guitar I absolutely fell in love with was a $4500 Gibson..can't recall the model, I'll check it up next time, it was far out, it was so damn easy and "smooth" to play it was like my fingers were just effortlessly gliding along the fretboard...but that is clearly out of my price range by a long shot unless I win the lottery :P

The Ovation roundbacks were not too bad too, but they pose a problem when I play alternating bass with a thumbpick due to the lack of a soundhole and the strings being very close to the body sometimes I noticed my pick would hit the top!

In any case I think my mind is set on the 514ce.

I tried the Martins first. Because I had always wanted one and yeah, they're supposed to be the standard. But, the fingerboard was too large for my hand. They've since improved it. Martins do sound good and I frequently try 'em out when I'm in the store, but I still prefer the Taylor. It's maybe a tad more delicate and maybe a bit brighter. Not nearly as boomy.

One thing, if I had it to do over, I'd forget the preamp and just get a 712. I paid a lot for that preamp, which I seldom use. However, I'll probably grow into it.

Justapicker    0

If you're in Orange County California make the drive down to San Diego and check out Buffalo Bros. They have a huge inventory of acoustics including most, if not all, of the Taylor line. It's an acoustic players wet dream, if they locked you in for a month you couldn't play all the guitars.

The Taylor factory is in the area too. Taking the tour is well worthwhile, it's pretty cool seeing how these boxes are made.

sdeyecandy.jpg

solidwalnut    5
If you're in Orange County California make the drive down to San Diego and check out Buffalo Bros. They have a huge inventory of acoustics including most, if not all, of the Taylor line. It's an acoustic players wet dream, if they locked you in for a month you couldn't play all the guitars.

The Taylor factory is in the area too. Taking the tour is well worthwhile, it's pretty cool seeing how these boxes are made.

Oh yeah, the Taylor factory is on my list of most needed to do items.

Thanks for the tip about Bubbalo Bros. I'll put that on my list to check out next time I'm there.

Steve

eddiez152    129

Hi Folks,

Yesterday, I had my friend from California stop by for serveral hours to my home in Illinois. Steve is a very good guitarist and has a collection of guitars that would trip someone imagination. Breedlove,Taylor,Martin,Guild,Gibson,Ovation,and other custom made axes. When he picked up my 750.00 Cort parlor guitar he was impressed. He showed me what was so impressive about my particular guitar and then I began to realize just what I was missing. Technique,timing, and accuarcy which comes with practice.

Quality and cost of any piece we buy is enhaced by our own abilities to play. Case in point, Listen to Ed Gerhard in his album House of Guitars. He purchased 5 guitars from pawn shops. No guitar had a value of more than 100.00. He left the original strings on them, some of which were green from corosion. Listen to the music and I am sure we will all understand its lesson.

Not to mention that Wood selections play an important part in the sound. Finger board quality for ease of playing, quality of building, and the rest is astetics.

Kirk Lorange just bought the guitar of his dreams, I can't wait to here it.

Buy what you can afford, and if not sure, have someone good play it for you and try it yourself. My firend Steve even made me like my guitar better.

My son Todd plays both Taylor and Breedlove.

I have also looked at Takmine and still looking

Eddiez