justinthyme

Jamie Andreas

justinthyme    3

Hi guys

This has probably been asked before - but I couldn't find anything on the forum using the search facility, so here goes ...

About a year ago I bought the 'Principles of Correct Guitar Practice' from Jamie Andreas, about the same time that I got Kirk's 'Plane Talk'. I had a quick flick through it but got more involved in Plane Talk, so Jamie's books and DVDs have been 'gathering dust'.

Now though, after struggling for some time with injured left pinky and ring fingers, I've decided to give Jamie's method another look. I'm keeping an open mind, but can't help wondering as I read and watch, whether this is a real system that can be used to make serious progress? I realise there is only one way to find out for sure if it works for me - ie do it for myself - but I wondered if anyone else had actually got some real benefit from his method that they would care to testify to? Or not.

Any comments, positive or otherwise would be much appreciated.

Thanks ...

Ian

cshude    0

I don't have the book, but I am considering getting it as well as PT. I know that practicing is my weak point. 99% of the time, I simply pick up my guitar and play. I typically don't improve by doing so. I have read several of her articles, however, and what she says in those articles makes sense. I believe that if you do follow her principles faithfully, you will definitely see improvement- that is what happens when you have structured practice plans.

Kirk Lorange    128

Yes, same here, I don't know exactly what his method is, but I've read some articles by him and he always seems to make good sense. It seems to more about the physics of playing, and posture, rather than note choice/location ... I may be wrong, though.

I usually slouch or sit on the floor leaning back into the corner of a table when I play, or contort myself in some other uncomfortable way ... until I go numb :no:... maybe that's where my chronic back pain comes from!

scotty_b    16

The 'Principles' is an excellent book. I highly recommend it. Jamey's book is soley concerned with the mechanics of playing. It is not a method as such, dealing with notes/chords/songs.

Jim    0

At first I thought Jamie was a "she" (as someone here posted) from the pictures on his site - but she's a he.... :)

Jim

scotty_b    16

Jamie recently posted a very open and honest letter on her website discussing her desire to live as a woman. I was confused by Jamie's gender until I saw this letter, and then it made sense as to why some people were referring to Jamie as 'he' and others as 'she'.

scotty_b    16

I can't find that link now from Jamie.

I was confused as well as I had seen photos on the Guitar Principles of Jamie where he was obviously male, and then photos where Jamie was female. When I saw the letter I mentioned it made sense.

cshude    0

Was never aware of that- was only in the last couple months that I was made aware of Jamie's work. Everything I had read referred to her as being female. Amazing what modern medicine can do.

peterm    0

I have got Jamie's principles DVD and book and have found them a very good aid to practice. As with anything you get out what you are prepared to put in. Most of what she says is plain common sense (do it slowly to build up muscle memory before trying it fast etc) but by following it as a strict practice regimen, it definitely helps build finger control in both hands and therefore playing ability.

BTW Thanks to scotty and justin for clearing up the confusion on the question of gender, I had wondered but had been afraid to ask, being a typical bloke and having put my foot in my mouth before with such questions (Rule 1, Unless you can actually see the baby's head emerging, NEVER EVER ask a woman if she is pregnant :D )

Cheers

Peter

JWing    0

I got a lot of benefit from going through "The Principles."

As mentioned by others, it is mostly on the kinesthetics of playing as opposed learning songs or making music. I was amazed how much that alone helped me.

What hasn't been metioned in this thread is that "The Principles' discusses how to go about learning how to play pieces of music.

It also gets into the zen of playing, including motivation, concentration, and the effort required to get from OK to very good to excellent.

Because the subject matter is the less-fun aspect of playing guitar, it won't seem as interesting as you may wish. Additionally, the writing and editing is not the best. Nonetheless, it was very valuable for me, and well worth the time to go through it.