6string

How'd you learn to play?

How did you learn or how are you learning to play guitar?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How did you learn or how are you learning to play guitar?

• self taught
    • lessons
    • self taught & lessons by mostly self taught
    • self taught & lessons by mostly lessons

Jason    0

Many hours of rewinding, listening, rewinding, playing, rewinding, listening....

Having a PC has made this much easier.....finding this site cemented my love for the instrument and learning new tunes.

allthumbs    8

I took lessons for a short while at a music store. The only teacher they had available was a classical guitarist. I wanted to learn blues and he was game till his teacher started screaming at him because his technique was being corrupted by the blues. Har. The blues still got the mojo.lol.

bmfy    0

i used to get classical lessons which were rubbish. i had them for about three months where i taught myself mostly. But then i stopped and had lessons which are good so im still having them.

bluesguy    0

Well for 8 years I was trying to teach myself. I had books, cds, some computer software, and help for a few guitar playing friends. But honestly I was stuck. Then I decided for find a guitar teacher. Turns out a player I knew, respected and had seen play a few times also taught. I spent 18 months taking lessons (2x a month, 1 hour per session). My playing and confidence improved by at least a magnitude.

toxicity    0

I cannot speak much of how I learned to play the guitar, but more of how I am learning to play it. I've only started less than a month ago and it has mostly been through some magazines I bought a while back together with the Cd's that accompanied them, then a book that i skim through every now and then, and of course Kirk's lessons. Other websites have been also helpful in reinforcing the knowledge I have gained throughout my learning process.

It has been an interesting month!

I started learning completely by myself. I snatched my girlfriends Les Paul one day while I was waiting for her at her house, and grabbed a folder full of tablature she had printed off. Then I just began to fiddle around and try to understand what was going on. About two weeks later I couldn't get playing guitar out of my mind and was over their every day spending more time with the les paul than with her. Then she bought me my first guitar for our anniversary(I have such a kickass girlfriend). Next thing I did was borrow a master of puppets tab book from a friend and leanred some metallica. Since then I have taken private lessons(which were lame), researched books, magazines, dvds, websites, and picked peoples minds about things daily. Considering I have dealt with almost every format of lerning to play guitar(and in two years nonetheless), I have to say as long as you are learning SOMETHING new and keeping your old chops polished, you will become a better player. Something else I do is just pop in a cd and make my own leads and fills up, or at least attempt to. THis really helps the improv alot.

Buddy Love    0

Self taught and studying books. Many, many lessons from the internet and lots of music theory from the internet, too. I've created my own scale charts with notes, intervals, etc. in color which I've found is helping me to learn the fretboard and scales.

Buddy Love    0

Anthony,

I'm still learning and not an expert by any means.

When I first started trying to do scales and modes it dawned on me that I didn't know all the chords in a key. You know the I-VII chords in the key. So, I started playing all the chords in the key like C - C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim all the open and barre chord positions.

Then started adding the 7ths, major 7ths, for the specific degree. I'm slowing getting into the extensions like sus, 9s, 11s, 13s, etc. I'm also learning the relative minor chords for that key using the minor chord degrees.

I don't know if that is a good approach or not but it seemed to have helped me. I'm sure there are others on here who can comment on that approach and who can also help you.

Dan

Thanks Buddy, your info is appreciated.

Anthony

Anthony,

I'm still learning and not an expert by any means.

When I first started trying to do scales and modes it dawned on me that I didn't know all the chords in a key. You know the I-VII chords in the key. So, I started playing all the chords in the key like C - C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim all the open and barre chord positions.

Then started adding the 7ths, major 7ths, for the specific degree. I'm slowing getting into the extensions like sus, 9s, 11s, 13s, etc. I'm also learning the relative minor chords for that key using the minor chord degrees.

I don't know if that is a good approach or not but it seemed to have helped me. I'm sure there are others on here who can comment on that approach and who can also help you.

Dan

missileman    0

Mostly self taught with some lessons, I prefer fingerstyle so this site is a blessing.

I plan on taking some more lessons soon to get me past a couple of problems I have been having.

JanC    0

I started learning from older friends + a book that came with the guitar. Later i met a guy who taught me a lot. After some years the picture changed and I became the teacher. For one season I had a course learning new techniques by a professional. Since then it has been mostly selfstudying - and the Internet