ra_in

Behringer UB802 vs. Xenyx 802

ra_in    0

Hi All,

First of all my apologies for starting a new thread on this. Wanted to take a decision soon and hence thought of posting again hoping for early replies.

I've decided to buy a mixer to server as a preamp, when connecting my guitar to the computer. As recommeded by fellow posters here decided to go with a Behringer unit. Looks to me cheap, ok and VFM (based on reviews - I don't know much about them myself - This would be my first mixer.)

I am in a dilemma and would appreciate any help in resolving that:

I was looking for the UB802 unit but apprarently the local Guitar Center doesn't stock it anymore and says "it is no longer in production". They recommend the Behringer Xenyx 802 (for $60) instead. I am not sure good is this one?

I can get UB802 online (for $40) and with shipping etc it would come to about $50.

Which one should I buy? Is Xenyx 802 better? I assume none of these two have any effects?

Am confused!

TIA,

RA_IN

Tekker    1

Hi ra_in,

Unfortunately, none of the Behringer mixers are going to be very good quality. Behringer does make other gear that is quite good at an inexpensive price, but mixers just aren't their strong point. I have a Behringer mixer and I never use it in the recording process.... It's mostly just for playback from my onboard soundcard and for headphone mixes.

Do you need only one channel for your guitar or will you use the other channels that the Behringer has? Also what is the max budget that you are able to spend on it? If you only need one channel, then would personally recommend getting a mic preamp (Studio Projects VTB-1 or even an Art Tube MP) instead of a mixer. Either one of these will be much better quality than the Behringer mixers.

Having said all that, if you want to get the Behringer, then get the cheapest one you can find. Maybe even check on ebay for a good used deal. You won't get better quality by spending more on this brand. :blink:

-tkr

ra_in    0

Thanks TKR,

Actually I'd be primarily using only one channel for connecting the electric guitar pickup to the sound card. Won't need other channels mostly.

My budget is around $50-60 max and that is why am not looking at guitar amps as such.

Do you think a mic preamp would be a good solution as against a mixer? Which models should I consider? btw am not going to do any professional work as such but this setup is just going to be for fun (and for my and friends pleasure when jamming:guitardude: )

regards,

ra_in

Matty22    0

Personally, you couldnt GIVE me behringer gear.

The only Behringer thig i have that HASNT blown up is a compressor/sustain stomp box, that made bog all difference to the sound anyway.

This is only my, and a couple of friends experience, perhaps their stuff is different in other countries, but id pass on them.

For slightly more $$ a yamaha mixer (we've got a MG16/4 now) would probably see you sitting pretty, ive heard good things about peavy mixers, but cant speak from experience. We've got pioneer CDJ1000 mkII cd players, and even though they're probably rediculously over priced, they're havent missed a beat.

Matty22    0
Thanks TKR,

Actually I'd be primarily using only one channel for connecting the electric guitar pickup to the sound card. Won't need other channels mostly.

My budget is around $50-60 max and that is why am not looking at guitar amps as such.

Do you think a mic preamp would be a good solution as against a mixer? Which models should I consider? btw am not going to do any professional work as such but this setup is just going to be for fun (and for my and friends pleasure when jamming:guitardude: )

regards,

ra_in

ok i posted just after you, ra_in.... in that case, id consider allthumbs adivse on the 'bad monkey' pedle... that will give you the preamp, and the ability to also feed to an amp if you ever feel like it.

Stephen    0

I've been using a Behringer UB802 for home recording for about a year and found it superb. I believe they have a very good reputation and my experience confirms it. It's in constant daily use. Gives me no trouble, has a great simple to use equaliser, four inputs (two mic plus two other lines in) and was well worth the money I spent (much more than they are going for now). Highly recommended.

Lcjones    8

As well, I've been using a Behringer 1202 and have found it just a fine piece of equipment. The only thing the Behringers lack is sufficient manuals.

I've had the 1202 for over a year. I live in an area where power outages are the rule and not the exception. The 1202 has survived that little problem quite well.

No, it's not top of the line equipment but it's adequate and will get the job done inexpensively. Absolutely well worth the money.

Les

OldG    3

Have you actually tried connecting your guitar to your PC yet, ra_in? And does your Audigy Pro 4 card have the breakout connection bay as seen here

When you originally posted about this I took a look at your card spec, I would have thought its going to give as good a quality recording as a budget mixer ( maybe better).After all, its an expensive card claiming audio recording capabilities -to quote Creative......

''MUSIC RECORDING

Studio Quality Audigy® 4 Pro External I/O Hub

# Studio quality I/O with advanced connectivity. Includes analog stereo connectors for six channel input, optical and coaxial digital I/O, full sized MIDI I/O, microphone with gain control, headphone with volume control, and two 1394 FireWire® ports.

Professional Quality Music

# Create Professional quality music with low latency ASIO 2.0 support, SoundFont support, and high quality audio hardware.

High Quality A/D Converters

# Record your own music and audio samples with high quality 24-bit/96kHz A/D Converters for amazingly clean and accurate recordings.''

I'd be interested to hear a recording using just the card as I reckon it's gonna sound OK ( before you spend money it's worth a try)

Regards

Mick

fly135    5

I have a Behringer UB1200FX and like Les think it's a fine piece of equpiment. Works great and the functionality is perfect for my needs. I even ran the speaker out from my amp into the low level input during an act of monkeying stupidity and it didn't phase it.

Even if you think you don't need multiple inputs it's worth getting. I run both a mic and a guitar in, plus I also run my Guitar Port in, and the output of my computer into the CD mix for backing. And I still have inputs left over.

The FX model has built in a reverb mixer so you can add of touch of reverb in individually selectable quantites to vox and/or guitar. No piece of equipment I have was a better value ($60 used on eBay) or has made working my home studio easier.

737blues    0

Sorry for the stupid question Fly. I've never used a mixer but I do have a guitar port. Do you have your guitar port installed to your computer as it's primary sound card or are you simply going GP>Mixer>Sound card for input of guitar or whatever?

Lcjones    8

Fly is righteous.

I'm running a similar setup as Fly .... though, I am going Guitar to Line6 Pod2 IN'S (basically a guitar port), Line6 Pod L/R Outs to Behringer L/R LineIN. And from Behringer L/R Main Outs to CPU LineIN.

But, I'm also running a LOOP back from the CPU Speaker OUT to the Behringer TAPE IN (RCA Jacks - white/red). The reason to do that is to give me full control over volume/gain/trim to my Sonic(Audacity) software directly from the Behringer Mixing Console. (awesome) It takes a special cable to do that. You need a 1/8 Stereo to RCA cable. Radio Shack is your friend!

Keep in mind, the entire chain is MONO until you hit the CPU. To do a set up similar to mine you will need a Dual 1/4 Mono to Single 1/8 Stereo adapter to plug into your CPU. The loop-back from Speaker out is the cable mentioned above. The system becomes, literally a loop.

(... hmmm ... very sparse at the moment. it is a work in progress, but at least you can see the adapters under the equipment link... :)The Croaking Frog Studio )

It may or may not help at this point .... I'm still working on it ..... like the farm, the 72 MG, the 79 FS Jeep Cherokee, the lawn, the trees, the CD project, the garbage (yeah, I for got to take it out ..... ack.... ugh) And here we set and RockerBob needs a Job..... ok .. Now THAT is a hook if I ever heard one!

;)

Les

jezz hearsing 'round ;)

ra_in    0

Thanks for the replies. As for the behringer or no behringer the debate rages on :winkthumb:, with no clear answer, but I guess I'll have to take a call ultimately. However, if anybody can tell me between UB802 or Xenyx 802 which one is a better option it'd be great! Am still confused :brickwall:

Fly/Les/Stephen any advice?

Mick:

I am little apprehensive of connecting the guitar directly unless I am sure it'll work. Don't want to risk frying a $150 card (and possibly mobo/processor). Have posted to Creative forums as well, lets see what those guys have to say. Shall keep you guys posted and will upload a recording as well if I get around to do it. My card does come with an external I/O drive as shown on the box. Did you get a chance to look at the Audigy 4 Pro manual also? for the control knob associated with the "Line In 1/Mic In jack (LINE IN 1/MIC IN)" input the manual says: "Selects MIC In 1 or Line In 1. Also controls the input gain. Turn the knob clockwise to increase the input gain, and counterclockwise to decrease the input gain. To select MIC In 1, turn the knob clockwise over the separator mark until you hear a "click". To select Line In 1 for line-level sources, turn the knob counterclockwise over the separator mark until you hear a "click"."

Matty22:

As for the Dead Monkey overdrive pedal, does it give a distorted sound? I am looking for clean guitar sound (coz of the kind of music I play) and not a distorted one. Also, my dad plays Hawaiian guitar (aka Lap steel) and for that also I need a clean sounding amp.

Would an "ART Tube MP Professional Mic Preamp/Processor" be a better option?

After all this deliberation I am thinking of getting one of Behringer's mixers and either of Art Tube and Bad Monkey (For a total cost of about $80).

Does this make sense? Advice? What do the experts say?

Regards,

RA_IN

PS: LC checked your site. Quite nice but I guess heavy construction going on! ;-) No info on your guitars in the info section!

Tekker    1
I am little apprehensive of connecting the guitar directly unless I am sure it'll work. Don't want to risk frying a $150 card (and possibly mobo/processor).

Plugging your guitar directly into your soundcard is perfectly safe. The only way you can damage anything is if you were to plug a powered amplifier or mixer (that is meant to power speakers) into your soundcard. Anything that is not meant to power speakers like aux outputs, direct outputs, heaphone outputs, and even your guitar is ok.

It's better to be safe than sorry though, so if you are unsure about a particular connection then it's better to ask first. :winkthumb:

I would try that first and see if you are happy with the sound. If that works, then you won't need the mixer or preamp and you will have done it for free using what you already have. If you try it and you'd still like to get a better sound, then read on. ;)

Would an "ART Tube MP Professional Mic Preamp/Processor" be a better option?

Sure would, I recommended the Tube MP and the Studio Projects VTB-1 in my previous post. I have two of the VTB-1's and they are awesome as a DI for guitar! They are $99 so that may be too much.

I have used the Tube MP (but don't have one) and I would rank those above Behringer as well. So if you don't need the extra channels, then you'd most likely be better off with an MP.

-tkr

737blues    0
I'm running a similar setup as Fly .... though, I am going Guitar to Line6 Pod2 IN'S (basically a guitar port), Line6 Pod L/R Outs to Behringer L/R LineIN. And from Behringer L/R Main Outs to CPU LineIN. etc!

and ....... the 72 MG,

Les

jezz hearsing 'round ;)

Thanks Les,

I think I follow that (with the aid of pen, paper, three volumes of Jeppesen Airways and an adrenalin intensive expedition on all fours into the sinister underworld beneath my computer desk. Worth the risk. Not only did I find all those inputs/outputs you mentioned, I even found the Snickers bar I lost last year)

Might get one of those Behringers or similar and give it a go.

More years ago than I care to remember I had a C, then a B and finally a 59 Healey Sprite. Better known as the frogeye and probably still my favourite. Happy memories. You should find the time to restore the MG, such a fun car to drive!

fly135    5

737blues, I run the Guitar Port into the Behringer mixer. Although, I'm moving towards acquiring individual pedals for FX. I find myself spending too much time fiddling with the multi-FX.

I think the fact that Les finds the Behringer so useful is a good endorsement. I sure as heck don't find anything wrong with the quality of his recordings. My recording setup exceeds my abilities to make good use of it. But anything I want to try is right there at my fingertips. I bought a handful of 1/4 plugs with female RCA tops, so I can use regular stereo cable to route around the computer and stereo amp I use for music output. All the music gear and amps use 1/4 straight up.

The only thing different than Les that I do is use the CD in on the Behringer for the input from the computer. The reason is that the mixer has an "add CD to mix" button that allow me to choose between recording what the computer is playing as a backing, or just recording the other inputs while listening to what the computer is playing. This allows me to play along with a song and only get myself, or recording multiple tracks one at a time while playing along. The drawback to the cd mix is it's a set level so you mix around it and adjust the output with master level.

ra_in, I have a Bad Monkey. It's my favorite pedal. It can be clean if you turn the gain down to minimum and run the guitar volume down a bit. The level control adjusts the output level. What I like about the BM is that you can bring in the distortion with fine control. At it's max fuzzed level it has less distortion than many distortion pedals have on their min settings. It's my favorite pedal.

The mixer is most useful for it's functionality as a recording workstation. If you only intend to record your guitar and that's it, then you probably don't need a mixer. But the first time you want to add a mic, or finding yourself needing to move a cable around you're on your way to needing a mixer.

Another alternative to getting your guitar into the computer is a Behringer Ultra G DI box w/ speaker emulation.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-GI100-UltraG-DI-Box?sku=150934

I don't have one, but someone on the forum a while back popped in to post a couple of his recordings. This is what he used to get his sound and it was impressive.

WernHalen    0

Behringers are great products for the price you pay. In years gone past they had really bad products but their QC has improved and I use their products more and more every day. (I would prefer the Yammies and Mackies of this world but we cant afford it...) I would go for the Behriger as you said cause you never know when you'll need the extra channels... Four should do more than enough though.

It is completely safe to put your guitar directly into the Soundcard if your not coming from an amp, but I dont think you would get very nice sound. I would suggest a pre amp though since the guitar signal on its own is a bit weak to give you good tone throught the sound card. Try it any way...

powe6563    0

So I just picked up a UB802 today and I cant figure out how to set it up to the computer for recording. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Anybody have any pictures of the way they have it set up?

Tekker    1
So I just picked up a UB802 today and I cant figure out how to set it up to the computer for recording. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! Anybody have any pictures of the way they have it set up?

I have a tutorial in the works that covers connecting various components to the soundcard. The section on connecting a mixer is just about finished, so you can take a look at it and see if it helps you get it figured out.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

It may also be the way you have your soundcard setup.... Try to get something working without the soundcard first, like for example can you get a set of headphones working on the mixer?

-tkr

737blues    0

Just had a look at that Tekker. Top job. I'm sure I will be speaking for a lot of forum users in saying thank you for posting that. great info. :)

Thanks for reply too Fly. I will probably get a mixer soon. :)

Lcjones    8

as Tekker said .....

"like for example can you get a set of headphones working on the mixer?"

This is another topic altogether but I'll throw this into the Mix. as it were....

When you start recording you will obviously want to hear what is coming through the pipes. In order to hear it, you need monitors or headphones. There are pro's and con's to both.

I can't afford a good set of monitors so I use headphones. If you plan on getting good mixes then you're going to need a good set of headphones. Don't scrimp here. I highly recommend Audio Technica M40fs phones. They are the best phones I've used. Their QC is top notch! AND you will hear righteous sounds to get you a great mix!

Les

powe6563    0

Thanks Tekker! I am going to try going through the fx/aux send to the sound card, but i've noticed that there is a lot of buzz and hum wven when I'm not hooked up to the computer. :confused: I can hear it through the headphones even if I don't plug in a mic or a guitar, and the 1st channel doesn't seem to work either! :brickwall: I got it brand new yesterday from guitar center so i don't want to take it back if these are operator errors. Anyone had any similar problems?:surrender

WernHalen    0

Les,

I agree on the Audio Technica headphones, the shop where I buy did not have the models I could afford however while I was shopping and I was forced to get a set of senheisers. They are really good headphones but i believe the Audio Technica phones are better value for what you pay for them.

Tekker    1
I can't afford a good set of monitors so I use headphones. If you plan on getting good mixes then you're going to need a good set of headphones. Don't scrimp here. I highly recommend Audio Technica M40fs phones. They are the best phones I've used. Their QC is top notch! AND you will hear righteous sounds to get you a great mix!

It's actually better to mix on a mediocre set of speakers than on a good set of headphones. This of course depends on the speakers, as PC speakers would probably be worst things possible to mix on. ;) A mix done on speakers will translate to other people's speaker systems and even to headphones much better than a mix done on only headphones. Headphones are great for listening to music, but are not accurate when it comes to mixing.

It is definitely a good idea to check a the in headphones to hear how it sounds, but it's generally not a good idea to mix only with headphones. I have a set of $150 isolation headphones and I would take my Aiwa CD-Player speakers over these for mixing anyday... In fact, I used to mix on these Aiwa speakers for years. :D

-tkr

powe6563    0

Dude... the manual is about as indepth as the back of a shampoo bottle. :thumbdown It's litterally no help at all. I went to the Behringer site to look for further instructions but that wasn't real helpful either.