Fireproof

Any Vox AD30VT users?

Fireproof    0

Anyone use a Vox AD30VT (or even the larger Valvetronix modeling amps)?

I'm looking for tips on tweaking the sound for the Stevie Ray Vaughan "Cold Shot" sound.

Thanks in advance!

Bohma    0
Anyone use a Vox AD30VT (or even the larger Valvetronix modeling amps)?

I'm looking for tips on tweaking the sound for the Stevie Ray Vaughan "Cold Shot" sound.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I've got one of those - nice amp!

Try the following link

http://www.patchtronix.com/

As far as I can recall, they have some SRV patches there.

HTH

Bohma

Paulinnc    0

I got mine from Northcoastmusic.com. I ordered it with the Vox grill cloth instead of the ugly metal grill. Check it out, it definitely makes the amp look way cooler.

geezer    0

I just got a ad30vt and like it a lot.

Thanks for the link to valtronix patch site.

Just printed off 17 blues and clean patches to try.

:thumbup1:

Hey that is a really cool site. I just got a Vox AD30VT-XL, I guess for extra large (as in sound)! It sounds great but the modeling descriptions have changed on this model so I may have to wait for the VOX site to catch up with some new settings.

XL has nothing to do with the perceived sound. You got the wrong amp for what you want. The XL was made to compete with the Cube as far as high-gain amps go. The AD30VT is for clean-moderate-gain. It can pull off the high-gains sounds, just not as well as the cube. The VT-XL is made specifically for the high-gain sound.

Noodler    1

You buy a modelling amp to get variety. So which would be the more versatile of the two? Would you only go high-gain for NuMetal and pinch harmonics?

Stratrat    0

Depends on what kind of music you play, I guess. The regular AD30VT has some "cleaner" models such as the Fender Bassman, Vox AC15 and AC30, Dumble (Boutique Clean), etc. I'm not sure exactly which amps the XL emulates, but it says it's more for high-gain stuff so I'd imagine it models more of the stuff along the lines of Diezel, 5150/6505, Soldano, Triple Rectifier, etc. I'm just guessing because I've never seen or played the XL, but it sounds like it's geared more toward metalheads.

Noodler    1
Depends on what kind of music you play, I guess. The regular AD30VT has some "cleaner" models such as the Fender Bassman, Vox AC15 and AC30, Dumble (Boutique Clean), etc. I'm not sure exactly which amps the XL emulates, but it says it's more for high-gain stuff so I'd imagine it models more of the stuff along the lines of Diezel, 5150/6505, Soldano, Triple Rectifier, etc. I'm just guessing because I've never seen or played the XL, but it sounds like it's geared more toward metalheads.

I love the Boutique Clean setting (on the Vox). Pure and sweet. Never heard of a Dumble before, so that's interesting. Thanks! :smilinguitar:

Is Triple Rectifier a brand or a circuit? I was confused by that name because I have not seen it advertised as a brand, and yet I know it is the name of a cicuit of 4 diodes arranged to turn AC into DC.

I'd want the cleaner amps you mentioned, as long as there was at least one setting where you could use drop D for grunt and squealy artificial harmonic leads.

Would you consider the Vox Ad series for a giiging amp?

Stratrat    0
I love the Boutique Clean setting (on the Vox). Pure and sweet. Never heard of a Dumble before, so that's interesting.

Dumbles are custom, hand-built, "boutique" tube amps. Extremely pricey and very rare (it's rumored that there were only about 200 of them built.) Not just any "Joe Public" with a fistful of money could buy one - Howard Dumble wouldn't build one for you unless you were a "somebody" that he wanted playing his amps. They originally sold for somewhere around $2000 - now used ones can be in the $30,000 price range!

Is Triple Rectifier a brand or a circuit? I was confused by that name because I have not seen it advertised as a brand, and yet I know it is the name of a cicuit of 4 diodes arranged to turn AC into DC.

The "Triple Rectifier" is an amp model built by Mesa/Boogie. It's a very high-gain amp - definitely not what you'd ever think of when it comes to "cleans". It would definitely give you that Drop D 'grunt' and 'squealy artificial harmonic' stuff, though.

Would you consider the Vox Ad series for a giiging amp?

I can't say personally, since I don't gig. I've heard of people gigging them - perhaps some of the guys here with more experience in that realm can weigh in on that one.

Noodler    1

That Howard Dumble anecdote is great! :claping: I love stories like that. They become part of an interesting musical folklore, like the way Molly Meldrum was "discovered" while half-drunk going to buy another bottle of scotch, or the way the song, "I've been everywhere Man" was discovered in a strip joint in King's Cross. Just the right place at the right time.

I definitely would choose the Boutique Clean over the Rectifier option if I had to choose one or the other.

Stratrat    0

Okay, you can now officially count me amongst the Vox AD30VT users. :winkthumb: I've been reading and hearing so much good stuff about this amp (both here and elsewhere) that I went out and picked one up today. I wanted a small, light, grab-and-go amp that was loud enough to cover jam sessions with a drummer, and versatile enough to do several different genres of music. My Blues Jr. fit the bill on the first two counts, but it's a one-trick pony as far as sound goes - even a pedalboard will only take you so far!

First impressions are very good - this amp covers a LOT of tonal ground, and sounds pretty doggone decent at just about anything. I messed around with everything from Dwight Yoakam to Judas Priest (and many in between!), and it can do reasonable facsimiles of any of them. The effects are kind of cumbersome to adjust, but I'll use my pedalboard anyways so it's not really an issue. In addition to the volume and master volume knobs, it has an attenuator on the back panel that lets you go from 0.1 watt to 30 watts. You can go from volumes so quiet that you can hear your strings over it, to LOUD. I haven't played it up against drums yet to see how it holds up, but I have a feeling it'll be plenty enough.

Just for the record, these are the amps it models (this is the VT version, not the VTX):

Boutique CL -> Dumble OD Special (clean channel)

Black 2x12 -> Fender Blackface Twin Reverb

Tweed 4x10 -> Fender Bassman

AC15 -> '62 Vox AC15

AC30TB -> '64 Vox AC30 Top Boost

UK70's -> '71 Marshall JTM Plexi

UK80's -> '83 Marshall Superlead

UK Modern -> Marshall J-800

Numetal -> Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier

U.S. Higain -> Soldano SLO

Boutique OD -> Dumble OD 100 (OD channel)

It takes a little knob twisting to find the sweet spot on each model (what amp doesn't?), but they're definitely there. I can find something useful on just about every amp model. If you're looking for TeH bREwTAl MeTallLz, the XL might be more up your alley, but for just about anything else this amp should fit the bill quite nicely. A hardcore "tube snob" would undoubtedly turn his nose up at it, but for anybody with less discriminating ears (and who can't afford a room full of hand-built PTP boutique amps!), it's a winner IMO.

Paulinnc    0

One of the things to watch out for with these amps are the input jacks. They are plastic and can come loose, especially where you plug in the instrument cable. It is a very common problem with these amps. It happens because the jack is not seated properly in its holder. It causes the nut to come loose and the jack can fall into the amp. It is a pretty easy fix though. If this happens to your amp, take all the screws out of the back and remove the back panel. Then remove the chasis you, you will be able to see that the input jack is not flush with the other part. To fix it all you do is heat up a soldering iron and touch the solder. Once the solder melts the jack should slide into place by just pressing it in. Once it is in flat, take some plumbers tape and wrp the threads of the jack with it. Put the taped threads back through the hole and screw the nut back on. That should keep the nut from the input jack from coming off again.

I had to do this with my amp and I haven't had that problem since.

If I do any mods to this amp it will be switching out the speaker with eithera celestion vintage 10 or an eminence rajun cajun. I would also like to cut the back panel so the amp has an open back so it would be easier to access and give it a little different tone. These are fun little amps that don't sound bad. I just wish Korg/Vox would pay a little bit more attention to the quality of assembly.

I was looking at an AD30VT-XL, and from what I saw I think the only difference is that they added an fx loop. I could be wrong though, I haven't played one so I don't know exactly what the differences are. If you want more info on these amps and mods to them etc. check out Patchtronix.com the forum there has tons of info on these little guys and cool stuff you can do with them.

BluezOldy    0

I was looking at an AD30VT-XL, and from what I saw I think the only difference is that they added an fx loop..

Unfortunately they didn't but the mod for putting one in can be found on the Valvetronix forum mentioned above.

The VT-XL models have different hi-gain amps to the VT models and are meant to be an addition to the range not an upgrade.

The models are:

Glass: Modeled on the Clean channel of a collectible 100-Watt head named the Overdrive Special

Funked: Modeled on a classic American black-faced 2x12 combo

Buzzsaw: Inspired by the British-made 50-Watt head that created the sounds of ‘70s hard rock and metal

Crunched: Based on a very rare modded VOX AC30/6TBX Top Boost combo, adding new hot-rodded gain levels and EQ

Thrashed: Modeled on a 1983, all tube, single channel, master volume 100-Watt head

Raged: Based on the high gain channel of a modern, all-tube 100 Watter, with boosted bass and mid frequencies and even more gain

Modern: A still higher gain modification to the “Modern High Gain” channel, with scooped EQ

Fluid: The UK Modern setting with maximum gain and mid-range EQ, modified to emphasize a vocal-like tone for legato-style playing

Molten: Based on VOX’s US Hi-Gain model but capable of even more powerful, heavily saturated sounds, with an Octave effect mixed into the preset

Black: A version of the UK Modern mutated to Class A, rather than Class AB

Damaged: Rooted in VOX’s US Hi-Gain model with more gain and a completely re-voiced and modified EQ to be thicker and darker.

NEW VOX VALVETRONIX XL RANGE

Stratrat    0

Thanks for the info, Paulinnc. I'd heard about problems with the input jack falling into the amp - that's something I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on. I actually broke my usual rule with this purchase and bought the 2-year extended warranty from GC. While some people have reported no problems whatsoever with the ADxxVT amps, others have had nightmares with them so I figured I'd cover myself just in case.

I read a number of threads on the Valvetronix forum about people swapping speakers, tubes, cutting holes in the back panel, etc. The general consensus seems to be that the stock tube is a good compromise between the low and hi-gain models and there isn't much improvement to be gained from swapping it, but speaker swaps make a much more noticeable difference. I'm going to hold off on any mods until I play it for a while and get familiar with it.

eXperiment63: I'll give that patch a try tomorrow...thanks! I've played it for a few hours tonight and already discovered a lot of different sounds.....I just want to avoid falling into the trap I've found with other multi-FX gadgets, where you end up spending more time fiddling with the knobs than you do playing!

Stratrat    0

I jammed with a drummer today - the AD30 had no problem being heard over him. It's a small room, but I could hear it just fine and even he could hear it well over his kit. The "Boutique Clean" model sweated a little bit because it's very low-gain and quieter than all the other models....if I were gigging and was going to make a habit out of using that amp model, I'd definitely be sure that I was going to be miked or going direct-in to the board. All the rest of them were fine straight from the amp.

krissovo    0

I jammed with mine last night with the band as well, again clean amps were low volume.

Here is an interesting point, if you use the line out then it by-passes the tube and you lose the valve reactor circuit! So if you want the benefit of the tube then you would have to mic it up.

Bluesyzep    0

I don't know much at all about amps but was experimenting trying to get the Boutique Clean as loud as I could on a Les Paul. I know the gain has to be lower to avoid distortion. I'm around a 3 or 4. I've tried fiddling with with treble, middle, bass, volume, master volume, pickup volume, etc. I can hardly hear it. I had similar results at GC when I fiddled with an MG100. Finally, I gave up and just assumed there is something I'm not understanding about how amps work.:dunno:

In the mean time I'm happy playing my acoustic through a Crate CA30.

I have a hand-me-down AD30VT. And I, too, like the Boutique Clean (with the gain turned up) setting for my Strat. Add a touch of reverb and there's a killer tone to play around with.

Further on the Dumble anecdotes: It was understood (in writing, if I'm not mistaken)that he expected you to never sell the amp, and if you did he would never speak to you again.

BluezOldy    0
...I can hardly hear it.

Sorry to mention something so basic but my local dealer had an AD30VT because of the low volume. The solution was simple: on that one the attentuator control knob on the back was turned right down.