ra_in

Connecting Electric Guitar to Computer?

Hi,

I recently got an electric guitar but I don't have an amplifier and I won't be able to get one for some time. I am planning to connect the guitar to my soundcard but have some doubts:

1) Can the guitar be directly connected to the Soundcard? I have a Creative Audigy 4 Pro soundcard which has one input/Line_in (on the I/O drive) that has a gain control and is supposed to be used for dynamic microphones (as against another input meant for condensor mics). Can I directly connect the guitar to this input?

2) I read in another thread that I'd need a Fx/preamp box of some sort between the guitar and soundcard. Somebody also suggested a Behringer Eurorack mixer also (amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JF5CM/). Will it server as a preamp for the guitar? Can I connect the guitar directly to the mixer and then connect the mixer to the soundcard? If so, which input of the mixer should I connect the guitar to?

It'd great if somebody can help resolve my doubts.

TIA,

RA_IN

I can't be much help, other than to say I've seen JamLab mentioned quite a few times and it looks pretty cool. It comes with a box that connects to a USB port with a guitar jack and a headphone jack on the other end. Do a search for it.

You can but try and see, I'd have a go - making sure you turn the gain down then ease up to the required level. If you need a standalone software amp to play through, grab yourself a free download of Amplitube Uno.

Looking at the spec of your card I can't see any reason why you shouldn't get an excellent sound.

You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to plug your guitar directly into the computer. I would try the microphone input, it should work fine if you get the settings correct (use +20 boost option in recording panel). I use a Behringer mixer (UB1002FX) and it's great. Usually the Behringers have 2 or more low level inputs (The ones with the DIN plugs). Use one of those although use the 1/4" jack associated with same connector.

Since my super good behringer mixer blew up (dont start me on their crap), any recording ive done, has been guitar - effects - line in of sound card...

the effects acts as a preamp/DI box (sort of), so it works quite fine for me, if you dont have effects, i would run it into the mic in, but be careful with levels.... start of "Low and Slow" as they say.... bring your volume up slowly, trying to balance between guitar and sound card volumes

Attached is a sample of the way i record with it.... this is a rough cut (and rough playing too lol), but gives an idea of what you could expect out of it....

Im using my ESP ex50, korg ax1500g fx, and the std Ac/97 or whatever its called on board soundcard in my computer....

Sounds good. I always tell people to pick up a Bad Monkey tube overdrive pedal. Besides the line out to an amp, it has a seperate line out for recording that has a basic cab model for going directly into a mixer or a p.c.. Not bad for 40 bucks and is a pretty good pedal in it's own right.

Thanks for the input. Shall give the direct connection to the sound card a try and will report the results here :smilinguitar:

Also and planning to buy a Behringer mixer in case that doesn't work out. I was looking for the UB802 unit but apprarently the local guitar center doesn't stock it anymore and says "it is no longer in production". They recommend the Behringer Xenyx 802 (for $60) instead. How good is this one?

I can get UB802 online (for $40) and with shipping etc it would come to about $50.

Which one should I buy? Is Xenyx 802 really better? I assume none of these two have any effects?

Regards

RA_IN

Since my super good behringer mixer blew up (dont start me on their crap), any recording ive done, has been guitar - effects - line in of sound card...

the effects acts as a preamp/DI box (sort of), so it works quite fine for me, if you dont have effects, i would run it into the mic in, but be careful with levels.... start of "Low and Slow" as they say.... bring your volume up slowly, trying to balance between guitar and sound card volumes

Attached is a sample of the way i record with it.... this is a rough cut (and rough playing too lol), but gives an idea of what you could expect out of it....

Im using my ESP ex50, korg ax1500g fx, and the std Ac/97 or whatever its called on board soundcard in my computer....

i don't know why everyone is hating on behringer? i own a pmx 2000 powered mixer a set of powered monitors and a xenyx802 mixer and i have not had any problems with any of them, although the latter one i have only had a few days. i also was wondering if this 802 mixer would act as a direct box for my guitar and bass? or do i still need a separate direct box to hook them up? the 2 mono channels have a gain boost knob of upto +40 db? this computer recording business is quite complicated lol! i finally got my emu0404 pcie card working with cubase, it does not like sonar though. and now i got my 802 mixer hooked up for mic preamps and hopefully guitar input if it will work for that? i have a zoom mrs 1608cd multitracker but you just can't get the same sound quality as you can on a computer with all the ampitube effects and what not! anyway i am brand new to these forums! i just thought i would say hi and see if anyone knew if my mixer would work as a direct box or not? thanks! :o)

Just dabbled into all-PC recording myself. I use a Cakewalk UA1G for the USB interface, it had a Sonar LE come with it so I installed that and upgraded it to Sonar X1. The UA1G has its own Asio driver which works extremely well with Sonar (since they're both Cakewalk) so there's no latency. For effects, I got Amplitube2, which has some great effects and has some nice sounding amp models.